Why amorphous phase materials have wider bandgap?

In summary, the bandgap of amorphous phase materials is wider compared to its crystalline phase due to the fact that the periodic Bloch wave-functions do not account for the forbidden energy as much as they used to in a crystal lattice. This is because the electrons can acquire two different potential energy values when passing through the periodic potential of the positive lattice ions. Perturbation theory and Anderson localization are needed to fully understand this phenomenon. However, there is some debate as to whether amorphous materials actually have a wider bandgap or a narrower one due to the band edge tailing effect. Further research on band edge states may provide more insight into this topic.
sttan
I'm wondering why the amorphous phase materials have wider bandgap compared to its crystalline phase. To my best knowledge, the bonding mechanism does not changed as the material transform from crystalline phase to amorphous phase. So what causes it has larger bandgap?

ST

Physics news on Phys.org
sttan said:
I'm wondering why the amorphous phase materials have wider bandgap compared to its crystalline phase. To my best knowledge, the bonding mechanism does not changed as the material transform from crystalline phase to amorphous phase. So what causes it has larger bandgap?

ST

I think (not to sure though) it has something to do with the fact that the periodic Bloch wave-functions do not account for the forbidden energy as much as they used to in a cristal-lattice.

The band gap is there because the electrons can acquire two different potential energy-values when passing through the periodic potential of the positive lattice ions

regards
marlon

Look at:
http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Solid_state_physics

perturbation theory is needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to Marlon and Kurious...

ST

Search for "Anderson localization" and "band edge states".

sttan said:

ST

Are you sure amorphous materials have wider bandgap? I think they should have narrower Eg due to the band edge tailing effect.

1. Why do amorphous phase materials have a wider bandgap compared to crystalline materials?

The lack of long-range order in amorphous materials leads to a higher degree of disorder and higher energy levels, resulting in a wider bandgap. In contrast, crystalline materials have a regular, repeating atomic structure, leading to a narrower bandgap.

2. How does the bandgap affect the properties of amorphous phase materials?

The wider bandgap of amorphous materials makes them less conductive and more insulating compared to crystalline materials with a narrower bandgap. This can affect their optical, electrical, and mechanical properties.

3. Can the bandgap of amorphous phase materials be controlled or tuned?

Yes, the bandgap of amorphous materials can be controlled by adjusting the composition, processing conditions, and doping of the material. This can be advantageous for specific applications that require a certain bandgap.

4. How do defects and impurities in amorphous materials affect the bandgap?

Defects and impurities in amorphous materials can introduce additional energy levels within the bandgap, which can affect the bandgap width. The type and concentration of defects can also influence the bandgap of amorphous materials.

5. Are there any advantages of having a wider bandgap in amorphous phase materials?

Yes, the wider bandgap of amorphous materials can make them more resistant to degradation from external factors, such as UV radiation and high temperatures. They also have a broader range of applications, including in semiconductors, solar cells, and optical coatings.