Can we create a universe in a lab using m-theory and repulsive forces?

• Thread starter Brad12d3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, during a BBC special on m-theory, a physicist mentioned the possibility of creating a universe in a lab that could detach itself from ours as it expanded. It was suggested that this could start with a miniature black hole, but the challenge lies in causing the black hole to have a repulsive force instead of simply fizzing away. Contacting the physicist directly or exploring string theory may provide more information on this concept. Other potential ideas include the formation of a new universe from a piece of space inside a black hole or the self-reproduction of universes through a small amount of matter in an exponentially expanding state. However, the feasibility of these proposals is still uncertain.
Brad12d3
I just saw a BBC special on m-theory and in the last minute of the show one of the physicist mentions that it could be possible to create a universe in a lab that could detach itself from ours as it expanded. He didn't elaborate beyond that and I wonder what kind of mechanics would be used to pull off a feat like that?

Would it have to happen in a particle collider like the LHC, or is there another way it could be possible? It has been mentioned that it would start with the creation of a miniature black hole but then somehow it needs to develop a repulsive force so that it expands hence creating a universe. Much of my reading into mini black holes suggest they would fizzle away rather quickly due to Hawking radiation. So how would you cause the black hole to have a repulsive force instead of simply fizzing away?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you remember who made that remark?..Maybe contact him directly and get a brief explanation...or,,,he may have a website that will explain this.

Some obstacles with that scenario...I'm not saying it's impossible, just beyond anything I have read.

What would cause a black hole to "detach itself" that doesn't exist everywhere else...I have not noticed material things disappearing from this universe...of course most of our universe is not observable, never has been, and never will be...(that will cause some consternation here I am sure).

Leonard Susskind says, THE BLACK HOLE WAR, page 187
If baby universes carry off information (to create a new baby universe) that becomes unobservable...

we can't do any experimental physics..

Susskind also mentions a speculation on your theme: maybe a piece of space inside a black hole breaks off and begins the formation of a new universe...not Susskind's idea...

black holes have 'no hair' except, mass, charge, and spin...they do grow

There is nothing that intrinsically 'detaches' black holes from our universe, any more than acceleration separates it's distant Unruh horizon from our universe or the cosmic horizon is actually 'detached' from our universe...just unobservable...

wormholes are I think considered very,very unlikely, but not althogther impossible...that's a potential route to 'elsewhere'.

Also, I have read from Susskind that string theory contains black holes but I don't know just what that means...you might also follow that avenue...

well according to andrei linde founder of inflationary cosmology model "one may need to have only a milligram of matter in a vacuum-like exponentially expanding state, and then the process of self-reproduction will create from this matter not one universe but infinitely many".I suggest you to read The self reproducing inflationary universe by Andrei linde scientific american november 1994 issue.till the here is an interesting link on it that i found when searching for creating universe in laboratory:cool:http://utilitarian-essays.com/lab-universes.html

1. How do I create my own universe?

Creating your own universe is a complex and theoretical process. While there is no one definitive answer, one theory suggests that it involves manipulating fundamental forces and particles, such as gravity, electromagnetism, and the Higgs boson. Another theory suggests that it involves creating a singularity, or a point of infinite density and energy, which can then expand into a universe. Ultimately, the exact method of creating a universe is still unknown and highly debated among scientists.

2. Can humans actually create a universe?

As of now, humans do not have the technology or understanding to create a universe. The process of creating a universe is highly complex and requires an immense amount of energy and knowledge about fundamental physics. It is currently only possible in theory and through computer simulations.

3. What would happen if we were able to create a universe?

This is a highly speculative question, as we do not have the ability to create a universe at this time. However, some theories suggest that if we were able to create a universe, it would have its own set of physical laws and constants, potentially leading to the existence of life and intelligent beings. Others theorize that creating a universe could have unpredictable and potentially dangerous consequences.

4. Can we control or manipulate our own universe?

Again, this is a theoretical question, as we do not have the ability to create a universe. However, if we were able to create a universe, it is uncertain whether we would have the ability to control or manipulate it. The laws of physics in a newly created universe may be vastly different from our own, making it difficult or impossible for us to have any influence over it.

5. Are there ethical implications to creating a universe?

This is a highly debated topic among scientists and philosophers. Some argue that creating a universe could have unintended consequences and could potentially lead to the suffering of intelligent beings within that universe. Others argue that it is our curiosity and drive to understand the universe that compels us to explore the possibility of creating one. Ultimately, the ethical implications of creating a universe are still a matter of philosophical debate.