A good book for probability theory? Any recommendations?

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a good textbook on probability theory that goes beyond basic concepts and includes rigorous mathematical theory and proofs. Some recommended titles include Feller's two-volume set, Grimmett & Stirzaker's book, and works by Ross, Shiryaev, Billingsley, and Chung. Additional resources such as digital textbooks and tutorials are also suggested.
fleazo
Hi all. I am searching for a good textbook on probability theory. I finished my B.S. in mathematics last fall and have covered real analysis and abstract algebra so I want a book that goes into actual mathematical theory and not just a basic book about probability like you would learn in discrete mathematics. But not one that is TOO advanced as my studies of theoretical mathematics have been limited to what I mentioned above and then 1 graduate course (functional analysis) which ended up more about application then theory anyway...

I am doing research in multiagent systems and I have come into the problem of needing to prove convergence in certain systems and right now I just can't grasp it... I always think, no but there's this 0.00000000001% chance (in reality so many more 0s than that lol) but then my prof will say, no you can't think like that because we are talking about the probability and all this... I trust him of course but I can't wrap my mind around it. I want to see some good theory and proofs. I never studied probability in all my college actually outside of discrete math but it was just so basic I need more!

So any recommendations would help! I really want to be able to contribute more in my research! I always would feel back in real analysis, the prof would say something and I would think "no way, how is it like that??" you know that crazy lingering doubt even though I would know he's obviously right but I just need to convince myself lol but then once I would see a proof you know i just felt satisfied and comfortable and I need that feeling for certain things in probability it makes me crazy when I can't just see a proof for something!

Physics news on Phys.org
fleazo said:
Hi all. I am searching for a good textbook on probability theory. I finished my B.S. in mathematics last fall and have covered real analysis and abstract algebra so I want a book that goes into actual mathematical theory and not just a basic book about probability like you would learn in discrete mathematics. But not one that is TOO advanced as my studies of theoretical mathematics have been limited to what I mentioned above and then 1 graduate course (functional analysis) which ended up more about application then theory anyway...

My personal favourite is the two volume set by Feller which nicely balances theory and application, and is concise yet rigorous and comprehensive. If that one seems too much like drinking from a firehose, another one you might like is by Grimmett & Stirzaker.

Other authors I haven't read but are frequently recommended, at various levels: Ross, Shiryaev, Billingsley, Chung.

HTH

You might want to have a look at a digital textbook on the fundamentals of probability theory at http://www.statlect.com/fndprb.htm (intermediate level). If you prefer a more mathematically sophisticated introduction have a look at the Probability tutorials by Noel Vaillant (http://www.probability.net).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the best book for learning probability theory?

The best book for learning probability theory depends on your level of understanding and your specific needs. Some popular options include "A First Course in Probability" by Sheldon Ross, "Introduction to Probability" by Blitzstein and Hwang, and "Probability: For the Enthusiastic Beginner" by David Morin.

2. Can you recommend a good book for beginners in probability theory?

For beginners, I would recommend "Probability: For the Enthusiastic Beginner" by David Morin. It covers the basics of probability theory in a clear and engaging manner, making it a great starting point for those new to the subject.

3. Are there any online resources or free books for learning probability theory?

Yes, there are many online resources and free books available for learning probability theory. Some popular options include "Introduction to Probability" by Charles M. Grinstead and J. Laurie Snell, which is available for free online, and the "Probability and Statistics EBook" by John A. Rice, which can be accessed through many university libraries.

4. What is the most comprehensive book for probability theory?

The most comprehensive book for probability theory is "Probability and Measure" by Patrick Billingsley. It covers both basic and advanced topics in depth and is often used as a reference by researchers and graduate students in the field.

5. Is there a book that combines probability theory with real-world applications?

Yes, "Introduction to Probability and Its Applications" by Richard L. Scheaffer and Linda Young covers both theoretical concepts and practical applications of probability theory. It also includes case studies and examples from a variety of fields, making it a great choice for those interested in the real-world applications of probability theory.