Probability: Infinite marbles placed in, and selected from an urn

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of a countably infinite set of marbles being placed into an urn with infinite capacity. The probability of removing a marble is proportional to its number, and after each removal, more marbles are added to the urn. The goal is to show that there is a positive probability that marble 1 will remain in the urn forever. One approach is to consider the probability of marble 1 surviving each round of removal, and then taking the product of these probabilities. This would provide a lower bound for the probability that marble 1 will never be removed.
IniquiTrance

Homework Statement

I have a countably infinite set of marbles numbered; 1, 2, 3,..., n.

I also have an urn that can hold an infinite amount of marbles.

I then place marbles 1 and 2 into the urn, and remove one of them with the following probabilities:

The probability of removing a marble is proportional to its number.

So, the probability that I remove marble 1 is [tex]\stackrel{1}{3}[/tex], and that I remove marble 2 is [tex]\stackrel{2}{3}[/tex].

Once a marble is removed, I then place marbles 3 and 4 into the urn. I

Now if marble 2 was removed earlier, then marbles 1,3,4 are in the urn. The probability of removing any of them are now respectively, [tex]\stackrel{1}{8}, \stackrel{3}{8}, and \stackrel{4}{8}[/tex]

I keep adding and removing marbles as above, in order of their number.

I am asked to show, that there is a positive probability that marble 1 remains in the urn forever.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Not quite sure how to pin this down. Any help is much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so the probability marble 1 survives the first pick is 2/3. The probability that it survives the second is 7/8. At this point you have a choice which one to pick which is not 1. Pick the one which has the least probability to be picked which is not 1. That would be a lower bound for the probability that 1 will never be picked, right? I haven't tried to show the resulting infinite product is positive. Can you? That should get you started.

Thanks for the lead!

Ok, I'm trying to trace it out now...

Wouldn't the 2nd round have to be conditioned on the 1st round, so P(surviving 2nd round) would be:

[tex]\stackrel{2}{3}*\stackrel{7}{8}[/tex], no?

edit: n.m., I see your point, going to set it up as:

[tex]\prod_{n}^{}\mathbb{P}\left\{A_{n}|A_{n-1}\right\}[/tex]

Last edited:

What is the concept of probability in relation to an urn of infinite marbles?

The concept of probability refers to the likelihood or chance of a particular event occurring. In the context of an urn of infinite marbles, it is the chance of selecting a specific marble from the urn. This can be calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

How does the number of marbles in the urn affect the probability of selecting a specific marble?

The number of marbles in the urn directly affects the probability of selecting a specific marble. As the number of marbles in the urn increases, the probability of selecting a specific marble decreases. This is because there are more marbles to choose from, making it less likely to select a specific one.

What is the difference between sampling with replacement and sampling without replacement in relation to an urn of infinite marbles?

Sampling with replacement means that after a marble is selected from the urn, it is put back in before the next selection. This means that the probability of selecting a specific marble remains the same for each selection. Sampling without replacement means that once a marble is selected, it is not put back in the urn and the probability of selecting a specific marble changes with each selection.

What is the significance of the Law of Large Numbers in relation to an urn of infinite marbles?

The Law of Large Numbers states that as the number of trials or experiments increases, the observed outcomes will more closely reflect the true probability of the event. In the context of an urn of infinite marbles, this means that the more times a marble is selected from the urn, the more closely the observed probability will match the actual probability.

How can the probability of selecting a specific marble be calculated using the hypergeometric distribution?

The hypergeometric distribution is used to calculate the probability of selecting a certain number of objects from a finite population without replacement. In the case of an urn of infinite marbles, it can be used to calculate the probability of selecting a specific number of marbles from the urn without replacement, given the total number of marbles in the urn and the number of desired marbles. This formula is: P(X=k) = (M choose k) (N-M choose n-k) / (N choose n), where M is the number of desired marbles, N is the total number of marbles in the urn, and k is the number of desired marbles selected.