Can You Create a Physics Costume for an Anime Convention?

In summary, the conversation discussed ideas for creating a physics-themed costume for an anime convention. Suggestions included dressing as Schrödinger's cat, the LHC, or embodying principles like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle or the Pauli Exclusion Principle. Other ideas included dressing as the Higgs Boson or a spherical cow of uniform density, or incorporating Newton and a cat to represent determinism vs quantum uncertainty. The doppler effect was also suggested as a possible concept to portray in costume form.
teraptus
I want to make a physics costume for an anime convention I plan on going to in May. I want to somehow create a costume that demonstrates a concept, not a person. For example, some ideas that I have had are Schrödinger's cat, the photo-electric effect, or some sort of equation. I realize that concepts like this are difficult to convey in costume form, but that's what will make the costume cool.

Physics news on Phys.org
teraptus said:
For example, some ideas that I have had are Schrödinger's cat.
That sounds cool, but dangerous.

How about going as the LHC? Every once in a while you could set off a flash, and have a black marble drop out... :eek:

teraptus said:
I realize that concepts like this are difficult to convey in costume form, but that's what will make the costume cool.
You can add some action to help make the costume realizable.

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle: As soon as you arrive, hide in a secluded place and remain perfectly still. If anybody sees you, run really fast in a random direction.

The Pauli Exclusion Principle (Requires two people): Dress in identical outfits, and refuse to be in the same room with one another. If circumstances force you to be close together, one of you must stand on your head.

Schrödinger's Cat: Wear an ordinary cat costume, but when you get to the party, go hide in a closet. When somebody opens the door to check on you, flip a coin, and if it comes up heads, pretend to be dead.

The Higgs Boson: Stand in a narrow hallway, and impede the motion of anybody who tries to get past you.

http://scienceblogs.com/principles/2010/10/conceptual_physics_costumes_fo.php"

Last edited by a moderator:
Go in as Newton and bring a cat. Then at some point, play fight with the cat. It will represent determinism vs quantum uncertainty.

You could also bring an apple. If the cats eats it : 1 point for god's dice. If it doesn't : 1 point for determinism.

How about the doppler effect? :P

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a "Need Physics Costume Idea"?

A "Need Physics Costume Idea" refers to a request or search for a costume idea that is related to the field of physics. This could include costumes inspired by famous physicists, scientific concepts, or elements from the world of physics.

2. How do I come up with a physics-themed costume idea?

One way to come up with a physics costume idea is to think about your favorite physicists or scientific concepts and use them as inspiration. You could also do some research on popular physics-related costumes or brainstorm with friends who are familiar with the field of physics.

3. Can you give some examples of physics costume ideas?

Sure! Some popular physics costume ideas include dressing up as Albert Einstein, Marie Curie, or Isaac Newton. You could also create a costume based on a specific scientific concept, such as a "black hole" costume or a "particle accelerator" costume.

4. Do I need to have a science background to come up with a physics costume idea?

No, you don't necessarily need a science background to come up with a physics costume idea. However, having some knowledge of basic physics concepts may help you understand and appreciate the costume idea better.

5. Are there any considerations to keep in mind when creating a physics costume?

Yes, there are a few things to consider when creating a physics costume. First, make sure the costume is appropriate and respectful, especially if it involves cultural or religious symbols. Additionally, try to incorporate accurate and realistic elements, such as using scientific instruments or symbols, to make the costume more authentic.