Pumped Energy Storage and Available Power

In summary, the Ludington Pumped Storage Plant can produce 465.975 watts of power if the water is at 100 meters above the surface of Lake Michigan.
derekbeau
http://s1.lite.msu.edu/res/msu/stump/Energy101/pumpedstorage.gif

Consider the Ludington Pumped Storage Plant. Water may flow out of the reservoir, through the penstocks, and down into Lake Michigan, at a volume rate of 1710 m3/s. The water is directed through turbines to turn electric generators to make electric power. The height of the water in the reservoir is h = 100 meters above the surface of Lake Michigan. How much power ( = energy per unit time) would be available if the Plant is operating with these parameters?

Tip: In one second the height of the surface drops by Deltah where ρ×A×∆k=μ×(1 sec). (ρ is the density of water, 1.0×103 kg/m3.) How much has the gravitational potential energy changed?

Ok So what i have done so far is convert the volum to mass

1710 m^3/s * 1000 kg/m^3 = 1710000 kg/s

Then I thought id use the formula

P = Mgh
P = 1710000 * 9.81 * 100

and I got 1677510000 (watts?)

Well that wasnt the right answer, so i tried converting to kilowatt-hours

1677510000 W / 3600000 J = 465.975 kWh

Still not right.

I think my problem is because either the height of the water is changing, or i am using an incorrect height. I don't know. But any help would be great. (it is due tomorrow)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
derekbeau said:
http://s1.lite.msu.edu/res/msu/stump/Energy101/pumpedstorage.gif

P = Mgh
P = 1710000 * 9.81 * 100

and I got 1677510000 (watts?)

Well that wasnt the right answer, so i tried converting to kilowatt-hours

1677510000 W / 3600000 J = 465.975 kWh

Still not right.

I think my problem is because either the height of the water is changing, or i am using an incorrect height. I don't know. But any help would be great. (it is due tomorrow)

Thanks

The link does not work.

Anyway, the power obtained in the turbine is:

[tex]W=Q*\Delta P_o[/tex]; where [Q]=[m^3/s] is the volumetric flow; [P_o]=[Pa] is the total pressure in both sides of the turbine.

In your case: [tex]P_{oentrance}-P_{oexit}=P_a+\rho g H[/tex]-P_a[/tex]

So that: [tex]W=\rho g H Q[/tex] where the units are:

[tex] [W]=\frac{Kg}{m^3} * \frac{m}{s^2}* m *\frac{m^3}{s}=\frac{J}{s}=Watt[/tex]

You said it doesn't work. Although the height of the reservoir is changing, in my opinion that change is cuasi-steady, so that the turbine power also changes with time W=W(H(t)). I need to view the drawing of your link to answer you better.

Last edited by a moderator:
A watt is a joule per second, which is a Newton metre per second, which is a kilogram metre per second squared metre per second, which is a kg m^2/s^3. Now look at your formula: you multiplied kg/s times m/s^2 times m. That's a watt alright.

The second try is totally wrong. A kwh is a power times a time, so is a unit of energy, not power.

here is the drawing

Attachments

• phy.jpg
    phy.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 429

1. What is pumped energy storage?

Pumped energy storage is a method of storing energy by using two bodies of water at different elevations. When energy is needed, water from the higher elevation is released, flowing through a turbine to generate electricity. The water is then collected in the lower elevation body of water, effectively storing the energy until it is needed again.

2. How much power can pumped energy storage provide?

The amount of power that can be provided by pumped energy storage depends on the size and efficiency of the system. Generally, pumped energy storage systems can provide anywhere from 100 megawatts to 1,000 megawatts of power. However, larger systems can have a capacity of over 1,000 megawatts.

3. What are the benefits of pumped energy storage?

Pumped energy storage has several benefits, including its ability to store large amounts of energy for long periods of time, its efficiency in converting energy to electricity, and its ability to provide power during peak demand periods. It also has a longer lifespan compared to other energy storage methods, making it a reliable and cost-effective option for storing energy.

4. Can pumped energy storage be used with renewable energy sources?

Yes, pumped energy storage can be used in conjunction with renewable energy sources such as wind and solar power. It can help to address the issue of intermittency, where renewable energy sources may not always be able to generate electricity. By storing excess energy produced by renewable sources, it can be used during times of high demand or when the renewable sources are not able to generate electricity.

5. Are there any environmental impacts of pumped energy storage?

While pumped energy storage does not produce any emissions or pollution during operation, the construction of the system can have some environmental impacts. This includes the displacement of land and potential disruption of local ecosystems. However, these impacts can be minimized through careful planning and consideration of the location for the system.