Why Does Gravity Affect Weight?

In summary, the conversation discusses a beginner's approach to understanding physics and the concept of weight being determined by the gravitational pull of the Earth on an object. It also touches on the relationship between mass and gravitational force according to Newton's law. The question is raised about why a person may weigh more when they are fatter, which can be explained by the greater mass of their body.
QTip
Hi. I'm an absolute noob at physics, so I went to the library and checked out a couple beginner books. Basic Physics: A self-teaching guide and Science 101 Physics.

I'm just getting started reading physics 101 and read the following statement:

"...all you have to do to determine your weight is step on a scale. What is actually being measured in this case is the gravitational pull of the Earth on your body."

It then goes on to talk about your weight on other planets, etc.

I'm wondering why the Earth pulls harder on me when I'm fatter. I hope that question makes sense. I just can't see why the gravitational pull is greater for a bowling ball than it is for an apple.

Thanks for any clarification.

Physics news on Phys.org
You said you are starting physics now...So start it and go on further you get to know why it is on your..

from Newton's gravitational law , gravity between two objects proportional to the product of the masses directly and inversly to the square of the distance between them,.,,,
So you conclude why a ball is pulled with greater force that an apple or why you weigh more when you are fatter...(means more mass)

1. What is a weighing scale and how does it work?

A weighing scale is a device used to measure the weight or mass of an object. It works by using a spring or load cell that responds to the force of the object's weight. This force is then converted into an electronic signal that is displayed as the weight on the scale.

2. How accurate is a weighing scale?

The accuracy of a weighing scale depends on various factors such as the quality and calibration of the scale, the condition of the load cell, and the environmental conditions. Generally, most weighing scales have an accuracy of around 0.1% to 0.5% of the total weight being measured.

3. How does gravity affect a weighing scale?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the functioning of a weighing scale. The weight or mass of an object is determined by the force of gravity acting on it. Therefore, the accuracy of a weighing scale is affected by any changes in the strength of gravity, such as altitude or location on Earth.

4. Can a weighing scale measure weight in different units?

Yes, most modern weighing scales have the capability to measure weight in various units such as kilograms, pounds, ounces, and grams. Users can select their preferred unit of measurement on the scale's display or through a button on the scale.

5. How do you ensure the accuracy of a weighing scale?

To ensure the accuracy of a weighing scale, it is essential to regularly calibrate and maintain it according to the manufacturer's instructions. This includes checking and adjusting the load cell, cleaning the scale regularly, and avoiding any external factors that may affect the scale's accuracy, such as vibrations or magnetic fields.