Calculating Gas Disturbance from a Supernova Explosion

In summary, the question asks for an estimate of how much gas (mass) can be disturbed by a supernova with an energy of 10^44 J in interstellar matter with a density of n0 = 10^6 m^-3 and pressure of Pi = 3*10^-14 N m^-2. The expansion occurs at a velocity of Vs = 4 km s^-1 and the answer provided uses the snowplough equations with V0 = 250 km s^-1 and R0 = 7*10^17 m, resulting in a time of t = 1.7*10^14 s, a radius of R = 2.8*10^18 m, and a mass affected
snowmonkey12
hi guys many thanks in advance for any help, I am revising for an exam and got stuck on this question:

"A supernova of energy 10^44 J explodes in interstellar matter of density n0 = 10^6
m^−3 and pressure Pi = 3*10^−14 N m^−2. Estimate how much gas (mass) can
be disturbed by this supernova. The expansion happens at a velocity Vs = 4 km s^−1."

The answer sheet says the following:

"This is in the snowplough phase. Using the snowplough equations with V0 = 250 km s−1 and R0 = 7*10^17 m gives a time t = 1.7*10^14 s, radius R = 2.8*10^18 m and a mass affected M = 10^5 M⊙."

So basically i have no idea what equation/equations have been used or where the values for the variables. thanks again

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You will probably have better luck in the homework forum.

1. What is a supernova explosion?

A supernova explosion is a powerful and energetic event that occurs when a massive star reaches the end of its life and collapses, releasing a tremendous amount of energy.

2. How are supernova explosions classified?

Supernova explosions are classified into two main types: Type I and Type II. Type I supernovae occur when a white dwarf star in a binary system accretes matter from its companion star, causing it to exceed its maximum mass and explode. Type II supernovae occur when a massive star runs out of nuclear fuel and collapses under its own gravity.

3. Can a supernova explosion harm Earth?

No, a supernova explosion would have to occur much closer to Earth to cause any harm. The closest recorded supernova explosion was about 160,000 light years away, and it did not have any significant effect on Earth.

4. What happens after a supernova explosion?

After a supernova explosion, depending on the type of explosion, different outcomes can occur. In Type I supernovae, the white dwarf star is completely destroyed, leaving behind a nebula of gas and dust. In Type II supernovae, the core of the star collapses into a neutron star or a black hole, while the outer layers are ejected into space.

5. Can we predict when a supernova explosion will occur?

Unfortunately, we cannot predict when a supernova explosion will occur. It is a random event that can happen at any time, and the only way to observe them is to constantly monitor the night sky. However, with advanced telescopes and technology, we can often detect them shortly after they occur.