How do I google this? (f: A -> B)

• Thread starter Pithikos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary, to find information about a function f:A->B, you can search for "a function f from A to B" or "a function f:A->B" on Google. If you are looking for a specific function, consider its defining properties and add them to the search. Keep in mind that "f:A->B" can also represent an arrow between objects in a category, so the context of its use is important. The Wikipedia article on functions is a comprehensive resource for understanding them.
Pithikos
I want to find information regarding what f: A [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]B is. What shall I google? I am not even sure this has anything to do with sets :S

Physics news on Phys.org
Pithikos said:
I want to find information regarding what f: A [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]B is. What shall I google? I am not even sure this has anything to do with sets :S

You could put "a function f from A to B" of "a function f:A->B" into Google, however this is a very general statement. I would imagine you'll get a whole slew of search results, because that expression is used nearly everywhere in mathematics.

Is it a specific function that you're interested? If so you need to consider its defining properties. If you put a "f:A->B such that ..." (where ... represents the defining property of such a function) into Google, you'll likely narrow the search. The Wiki article that micromass posted is very comprehensive and easy to understand -- I've used it many times.

It does not necessarily have to do with sets. It could represent an arrow (also called morphism) between objects in a category. A priori "f:A->B" has no meaning. The context should make clear what the author is talking about.

To find information on f: A -> B, you can simply google "f: A -> B" or "mapping from A to B". This concept is often used in mathematics and computer science to represent a function that maps elements from set A to set B. It is also commonly used in other fields such as economics and biology. If you are unsure about the connection to sets, you can also search for "function notation" or "set theory" to gain a better understanding of the topic.

What is the purpose of "How do I google this? (f: A -> B)"

The purpose of "How do I google this? (f: A -> B)" is to understand the process of using the Google search engine to find information related to a specific topic or query. The "f: A -> B" notation indicates that the question is asking for the function or process (f) of using Google (A) to find information (B).

How do I use Google to find information?

To use Google to find information, you can open the Google search engine in your web browser and type in your query or topic in the search bar. You can also use specific keywords or phrases to narrow down your search results. Once you hit enter or click on the search button, Google will display a list of relevant websites, articles, images, or videos related to your query.

What are some tips for effectively using Google to find information?

Some tips for effectively using Google to find information include using specific keywords or phrases, using quotation marks to search for an exact phrase, using the minus sign to exclude certain words or phrases from your search results, and using advanced search features to filter your results. It is also important to evaluate the credibility and reliability of the sources you find through Google.

How can I improve my Google search skills?

You can improve your Google search skills by practicing and experimenting with different search techniques, staying up to date on new Google features and updates, and learning about advanced search operators. You can also take online courses or tutorials on how to effectively use Google for research and information gathering.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Google for research?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using Google for research include using vague or broad search terms, relying solely on the first few search results, not evaluating the credibility of sources, and not using advanced search features to filter results. It is also important to avoid plagiarism and properly cite any information or sources used in your research.