Which Nucleophile should I use?

• Thread starter pharoh123
  • Start date
In summary, if you react butanol with toluenesulfonyl chloride and Et3N using H3C-CN as a solvent, you will first eject the Cl from the toluenesulfonyl chloride and connect the toluenesulfonyl group to the O in butanol. Then, the O is deprotonated by the Et3N, leaving behind an excellent leaving group. However, due to the bulky nature of the Et3N, it cannot act as a nucleophile and instead undergoes an elimination reaction to form but-1-ene. The Cl- expelled from the toluenesulfonyl chloride does not participate in the reaction.
pharoh123

Homework Statement

If I react butanol with toluenesulfonyl chloride (you can see that molcule here: http://sbillinghurst.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/440px-p-toluenesulfonyl_chloride_structure-svg.png) and Et3N and use H3C-CN as solvent what do I get?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the first step is ejecting the Cl from the toluenesulfonyl chloride and then connecting the toluenesulfonyl group to the O from the butanol.
Then I deprotonoted the O with the toluenesulfonyl group with the Et3N using an acid/base reaction. I am then left with an excellent leaving group but I'm not sure what the nucleophile could be; the only good one I find is the Cl- I expulsed from the toluenesulfonyl chloride. Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
In Et3N there is a lone pair on N atom, which can behave as a nucleophile, but due to the three 'Et' groups, it becomes bulky and cannot act as a nucleophile. So, it acts as a base and an elimination reaction takes place, leading to the formation of but-1-ene!

What is a nucleophile?

A nucleophile is a chemical species that is able to donate a pair of electrons to form a new chemical bond. It is commonly used in organic chemistry reactions to attack and bond with positively charged atoms or molecules.

What factors should I consider when choosing a nucleophile?

The reactivity of the nucleophile, the strength of the bond it forms, and its selectivity towards a specific functional group are all important factors to consider when choosing a nucleophile.

How do I determine the reactivity of a nucleophile?

The reactivity of a nucleophile can be determined by its basicity, nucleophilicity, and steric hindrance. Generally, the more basic and less hindered a nucleophile is, the more reactive it will be.

What are some common nucleophiles used in organic chemistry?

Some common nucleophiles used in organic chemistry include hydroxide ions, alkoxides, amines, and thiols. These nucleophiles have a lone pair of electrons that can form new bonds with electrophilic atoms or molecules.

Can I use any nucleophile in a reaction?

No, not all nucleophiles are suitable for every reaction. It is important to consider the reaction conditions and the nature of the electrophile in order to choose the appropriate nucleophile. Different reactions may require different nucleophiles with specific characteristics to be successful.