QFT Dirac Chiral Equations of Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the equations of motion for the fields \psi_L and \psi_R, which are defined as \psi_L(x)={1 \over 2} (1-\gamma_5)\psi(x) and \psi_R(x)={1 \over 2} (1+\gamma_5)\psi(x) for non-vanishing mass. It is then shown that these equations decouple in the limit m=0. The Lagrangian density for a Dirac field is also given, and it is explained how to use it to describe zero-mass fermions with negative helicity and zero-mass antifermions with positive helicity. The equations of motion for these fields are derived
orentago

Homework Statement

From Mandl and Shaw (exercise 4.5):

Deduce the equations of motion for the fields:

[tex]\psi_L(x)\equiv{1 \over 2} (1-\gamma_5)\psi(x)[/tex]
[tex]\psi_R(x)\equiv{1 \over 2} (1+\gamma_5)\psi(x)[/tex]

for non-vanishing mass, and show that they decouple in the limit m=0. Hence show that the Lagrangian density

[tex]L(x)=\mathrm{i} \hbar c \overline{\psi}_L(x) \gamma^\mu \partial_\mu \psi_L(x)[/tex]

describes zero-mass fermions with negative helicity only, and zero-mass antifermions with positive helicity only.

Homework Equations

Lagrangian density for Dirac field:

[tex]L=c\overline{\psi}\left[ \mathrm{i}\hbar\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu -mc\right] \psi(x)[/tex]

Equations of motion:

[tex] {\partial L \over \partial \psi} - {\partial \over \partial x^\mu} \left(\partial L \over \partial \psi_{,\mu} \right)=0[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure where to begin, partly because I don't understand the wording of the question. Do I simply swap [tex]\psi[/tex] for [tex]\psi_L[/tex] and [tex]\psi_R[/tex] into the Lagrangian above and sub this into the equations of motion as per normal, or should I swap [tex]\psi(x)[/tex] for [tex]\psi_L(x)+\psi_R(x)[/tex]?

For the second part I'll have to use the helicity operator I expect, but I'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still stuck on this. I tried to go for the former of the two approaches mentioned above. I let [tex]\psi\rightarrow\psi_L[/tex] and [tex]\overline{\psi}\rightarrow\overline{\psi}_L[/tex], then:

[tex]L=c\overline{\psi}_L\left(\mathrm{i}\hbar\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu-mc\right)\psi_L[/tex]

Splitting this into two terms and tackling individually:

[tex]c\overline{\psi}_L\mathrm{i}\hbar\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu\psi_L=c\left(1-\gamma_5\right)\overline{\psi}\mathrm{i}\hbar\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu\left(1-\gamma_5\right)\psi[/tex]

[tex]c\overline{\psi}_L mc\psi_L=c\left(1-\gamma_5\right)\overline{\psi} mc \left(1-\gamma_5\right)\psi[/tex]

Then I expand the brackets and use the anticommutation relations [tex]\left[\gamma_5,\gamma^\mu\right]_{+}=0[/tex] and [tex]\left[\overline{\psi},\gamma^\mu\right]_{+}=0[/tex] to get:

[tex]c\left(1-\gamma_5\right)\overline{\psi}\mathrm{i}\hbar\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu\left(1-\gamma_5\right)\psi={1 \over 2}\mathrm{i}\hbar c \left(1-\gamma_5\right)\overline{\psi}\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu \psi[/tex]

and

[tex]c\left(1-\gamma_5\right)\overline{\psi} mc \left(1-\gamma_5\right)\psi=0[/tex]

So

[tex]L={1 \over 2}\mathrm{i}\hbar c \left(1-\gamma_5\right)\overline{\psi}\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu \psi[/tex]

Substituting this into the equations of motion and doing some rearrangement gives:

[tex]{1 \over 2} \mathrm{i}\hbar c\left(1-\gamma_5\right)\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu\overline{\psi}=0[/tex]

A similar process for [tex]\psi_R[/tex] gives:

[tex]L={1 \over 2}\mathrm{i}\hbar c \left(1+\gamma_5\right)\overline{\psi}\gamma^\mu\partial_\mu \psi[/tex]

with equations of motion:

[tex]{1 \over 2} \mathrm{i}\hbar c\left(1+\gamma_5\right)\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu\overline{\psi}=0[/tex]

This leaves me a bit confused. I'm pretty sure I've gone wrong somewhere, as the two equations don't decouple in the zero-mass limit. Can anyone see where I've gone wrong?

EDIT: In fact I'm fairly sure they're not coupled at all!

Last edited:
Does anyone have any hints for this, or should I have another stab and post my findings?

1. What is QFT?

QFT stands for quantum field theory. It is a theoretical framework used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions. It combines the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity to understand the fundamental nature of matter and energy.

2. What are Dirac chiral equations of motion?

Dirac chiral equations of motion are a set of equations that describe the behavior of fermions, or particles with half-integer spin, in a relativistic quantum field theory. They were developed by physicist Paul Dirac and describe how fermions interact with the electromagnetic field.

3. How are Dirac chiral equations of motion derived?

Dirac chiral equations of motion are derived from the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of spin-1/2 particles in a relativistic quantum field theory. The Dirac equation is a combination of the Schrödinger equation and the special theory of relativity.

4. What is the significance of Dirac chiral equations of motion in QFT?

Dirac chiral equations of motion play a crucial role in QFT as they describe the behavior of fermions, which are fundamental building blocks of matter. They also provide a mathematical framework for understanding the symmetries and conservation laws of quantum field theories.

5. How are Dirac chiral equations of motion used in practical applications?

Dirac chiral equations of motion are used in various fields, including particle physics, quantum computing, and condensed matter physics. They help in understanding the properties of fundamental particles and their interactions, which has practical applications in fields such as nuclear energy, medical imaging, and advanced materials research.