Just what does it mean when a vector field has 0 divergence?

In summary: The divergence of a point is zero because the amount of water (or field) going into the point is equal to the amount coming out. This is similar to how in a closed surface, the flux of the electric field is equal to the charge enclosed (Gauss's Law). Nonconservative fields have a nonzero divergence because they do not follow this principle. In summary, the divergence of a point or everywhere is zero, and this is analogous to the conservation of mass in fluid flow. Nonconservative fields have a nonzero divergence, which means that the amount going into a point or volume is not equal to the amount coming out, and this does not follow Gauss's Law.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Yeah I've been pondering over that, my book doesn't really do the justice of nailing it down for me.

Does having 0 divergence means having "absolute convergence", like maybe at every point (or at a certain point) all the vectors are pointing towards a point?

Like what does div E = 0 really mean? E is electric field.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi flyingpig! :wink:

zero divergence means that the amount going into a region equals the amount coming out

in other words, nothing is lost

so for example the divergence of the density of a fluid is (usually) zero because you can't (unless there's a "source" or "sink") create (or destroy) mass

the electric field is like a fluid, and the field strength E is like its density …

the field can spread out, but the amount of field stays the same, except where there's a charge, which we can regard as a source or sink (depending on sign), continually creating or destroying field :smile:

hail tiny tim :!)

tiny-tim said:

zero divergence means that the amount going into a region equals the amount coming out

in other words, nothing is lost

so for example the divergence of the density of a fluid is (usually) zero because you can't (unless there's a "source" or "sink") create (or destroy) mass

At a point or everywhere? Sorry I just learned those words from LA and I am not 100% familiar with them yet.

the electric field is like a fluid, and the field strength E is like its density …

the field can spread out, but the amount of field stays the same, except where there's a charge, which we can regard as a source or sink (depending on sign), continually creating or destroying field :smile:

Does it even make sense to say the divergence of a point?

flyingpig said:
At a point or everywhere? Sorry I just learned those words from LA and I am not 100% familiar with them yet.

(what's LA ? :confused:)

zero divergence everywhere :smile:

Linear Algebra.

So does that mean nonconservative fields have a nonzero divergence?

As I recall, finding the divergence of the Electric field at a point is equivalent to finding the flux (of the Electric field) coming out of a closed surface in the limit as the size of the volume enclosed goes to zero. You can look at this as Gauss's Law again! I'm sure you're be happy about that.

SammyS said:
As I recall, finding the divergence of the Electric field at a point is equivalent to finding the flux (of the Electric field) coming out of a closed surface in the limit as the size of the volume enclosed goes to zero.

Just started computing easy surface integrals maybe I will get to that

You can look at this as Gauss's Law again! I'm sure you're be happy about that.

I don't like your humor...

flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

Yeah I've been pondering over that, my book doesn't really do the justice of nailing it down for me.

Does having 0 divergence means having "absolute convergence", like maybe at every point (or at a certain point) all the vectors are pointing towards a point?Like what does div E = 0 really mean? E is electric field.

An analogy with water.
You've got a river with water flow. Into a river there's a fish cage.
Water is flowing through the cage, and if a molecule of water enters the cage through the boundary, somewhere else a molecule must exit the cage, (since water is incompressible).
If from the outside you plug into the cage a pipe of water, and you pump water into the cage, then you create water into it, and from the surface of the cage must in addition come out an amount of water equal to what you pump in.

In other words:
[tex]\iint_{S}\mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{n} \ ds = 0[/tex]

where
v is the speed of water through the surface
n is the normal surface vector
S is the surface

Last edited:
flyingpig said:
I don't like your humor...

Actually, it is Gauss's Law.

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that describes a physical quantity, such as velocity or force, that varies in space and is represented by a vector at each point in space.

2. What does it mean for a vector field to have 0 divergence?

Zero divergence means that the vector field has no sources or sinks, and the total amount of the vector field flowing into a closed surface is equal to the amount flowing out.

3. How is divergence calculated?

Divergence is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field with the del operator (∇) and then taking the divergence of that result.

4. What are the practical applications of a vector field with 0 divergence?

A vector field with 0 divergence can be used to model and understand the flow of fluids, such as air or water, in a given region. It is also useful in electromagnetics and other fields of physics.

5. Can a vector field have 0 divergence at every point?

No, it is not possible for a vector field to have 0 divergence at every point in space. This would mean that the vector field has no sources or sinks anywhere, which is not physically possible.