Simple liquid flow problem?

In summary, the problem is asking for the volume flow rate needed to maintain equal pressure in two horizontal pipes, connected by a vertical pipe, with different radii. Using the Bernoulli equation and assuming steady, frictionless, and incompressible flow, we can solve for the volumetric flow rate (Q) using the equation Q = v_1A_1 = v_2A_2. This eliminates the need to know the density or viscosity of the liquid, and the resulting equation can be solved by plugging in the known quantities. Attempting to solve the problem using viscous flow is not applicable due to the pressure loss that is guaranteed in this type of flow.
biophys
Please help me with the following:
"A liquid is flowing through a horizontal pipe whose radius is 0.0200 m. The pipe bends straight upward through a height of 8.2 m and joins another horizontal pipe whose radius is 0.0410 m. What volume flow rate will keep the pressures in the two horizontal pipes the same?"

Here is my reasoning, that doesn't seem to be working out.
- first of all, the problem just says "liquid" so I know that I can't possibly need to know specific density.
-The equation for volume flow rate [ pi*R^4*(P2-P1) ] / (8*viscosity*L)
doesn't really make sense for this problem, how would I find the vidcosity and wouldn't (P2-P1) be zero anyway?

?? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the Bernoulli equation (you'll have to assume steady, frictionless, incompressible flow along streamlines):

[tex] \frac p \rho + \frac {v^2} 2 + gz = {\rm constant} [/tex]

You want to solve for the volumetric flow rate (which I'll call Q) which, by mass continuity and our assumptions above can be shown to be:

[tex] Q = v_1A_1 = v_2A_2 [/tex]

(subscripts denote first position and second position; [tex] A_i = \pi r_i^2 [/tex])

So:

[tex] \frac{p_1}{\rho_1} + \frac{Q^2}{2A_1^2} + gz_1 = \frac{p_2}{\rho_2} + \frac{Q^2}{2A_2^2} + gz_2 [/tex]

since we're solving for the case where p1 = p2 (and ρ1 = ρ2 because it's the same liquid), the first term on the left hand side of the equation cancels with the first term on the RHS. Solve the equation for Q and plug in the known quantities (z is the height of the fluid in the equations).

jamesrc said:
Use the Bernoulli equation (you'll have to assume steady, frictionless, incompressible flow along streamlines):

[tex] \frac p \rho + \frac {v^2} 2 + gz = {\rm constant} [/tex]

You want to solve for the volumetric flow rate (which I'll call Q) which, by mass continuity and our assumptions above can be shown to be:

[tex] Q = v_1A_1 = v_2A_2 [/tex]

(subscripts denote first position and second position; [tex] A_i = \pi r_i^2 [/tex])

So:

[tex] \frac{p_1}{\rho_1} + \frac{Q^2}{2A_1^2} + gz_1 = \frac{p_2}
{\rho_2} + \frac{Q^2}{2A_2^2} + gz_2 [/tex]

since we're solving for the case where p1 = p2 (and ρ1 = ρ2 because it's the same liquid), the first term on the left hand side of the equation cancels with the first term on the RHS. Solve the equation for Q and plug in the known quantities (z is the height of the fluid in the equations).

Yes, I'm with jamesrc. It has no sense thinking of how to solve this problem using viscous flow, because in it a loss of pressure is assured notwithsanding what volume flux is used.

1. What is a simple liquid flow problem?

A simple liquid flow problem is a type of fluid mechanics problem that involves determining the flow of a liquid in a given system. This can include calculating the velocity, pressure, and volume of the liquid as it moves through pipes or channels.

2. Why are simple liquid flow problems important?

Simple liquid flow problems are important because they have many practical applications in engineering, such as designing water distribution systems, fuel delivery systems, and irrigation systems. They also help scientists understand the behavior of fluids and their interactions with different materials.

3. What are the key principles of solving a simple liquid flow problem?

The key principles of solving a simple liquid flow problem include conservation of mass, conservation of energy, and the Bernoulli's principle. These principles help to determine the behavior of the liquid in the system and make calculations more accurate.

4. How do you solve a simple liquid flow problem?

To solve a simple liquid flow problem, you will need to apply the principles of fluid mechanics and use equations such as the continuity equation, Bernoulli's equation, and the Navier-Stokes equation. These equations can be solved using mathematical methods such as integration, differentiation, and substitution.

5. What are some common challenges when solving simple liquid flow problems?

Some common challenges when solving simple liquid flow problems include dealing with complex geometries, accounting for viscosity and turbulence, and considering external factors such as temperature and pressure changes. Additionally, accurate measurement of flow rate and pressure is crucial for solving these problems.