Lighting a candle, blowing it out and relighting it by lighting the smoke?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of being able to relight a candle after blowing it out. It is explained that the wick in a candle does not actually burn, but rather the wax melts into a liquid and travels up the wick, turning into a vapor which is what burns. The heat from the match helps to create this vapor, allowing the candle to be relit. This can also be seen with the ignitable fumes that rise from the wick after blowing out the candle. The relighting of the smoke is also connected to this process and can be easier to do when the smoke is closer to the wick.
Ntstanch
http://imgur.com/gallery/VtWhm - I've been trying this ever since I saw this .gif and it works. No idea why. Can anyone help?

Science news on Phys.org
After blowing out the candle, ignitable fumes are rising from the wick, not smoke. Since the fumes can be ignited, they will burn both upwards and downwards, with the downward path reaching the wick again.

The wick in a candle doesn't actually burn. What happens is the wax melts into a liquid, and travels up the wick. The wick essentially soaks it up. When the liquid gets even hotter, it turns into a vapor - this vapor is what burns. That's why when lighting a candle, you have to hold the match there for a second - to give the wax time to heat into a vapor.

It's a fun trick!

So the heat pulls up the wax through the wick as it changes it into a liquid, and then rises as it becomes warmer and less dense up to the point of being an ignitable gas... then when you blow it out the same behavior still remains (the vapor rising due to the heat along with the smoke) for a short while, causing the ability to reignite the fluid in the wick?

I also noticed the relighting of the smoke only occurs when you have a good string like shape of visible smoke leading back to the wick when at a longer distance. Which I'm guessing 'holds' the flammable vapor for a few moments after the flame itself is out, and would explain how it's easier to light the smoke the closer you are to the wick.

Let me know if I'm a bit off in my interpretation, please. And thanks for the responses (they were immediately helpful).

I can provide a possible explanation for this phenomenon. When you blow out a candle, the smoke that is produced contains tiny particles of unburned wax and soot. When you relight the candle using the smoke, these particles act as a source of fuel for the flame to ignite. Additionally, the heat from the relit flame can cause the remaining wax on the wick to melt and be drawn up into the flame, providing further fuel for the flame to sustain itself. This process is known as secondary combustion and is commonly used in fire starting techniques. However, it is important to note that this method of relighting a candle may not always work and may also produce a larger and more unstable flame. It is always safest to relight a candle using a match or lighter.

What causes a candle to stay lit?

A candle stays lit because of the heat of the flame. The heat melts the wax near the wick and the liquid wax is drawn up the wick by capillary action. The liquid wax is then vaporized by the heat of the flame and it is the vapor that burns.

Why does blowing out a candle create smoke?

When you blow out a candle, the smoke is created by the unburned particles of wax that are still in the air. The smoke is created by the carbon particles in the candle's wick that are not completely burned up. These particles are still hot and they give off the smoke that you see.

How does relighting a candle using its smoke work?

When you relight a candle using its smoke, you are igniting the unburned particles of wax in the smoke. These particles are still hot and flammable, so when you bring a flame close to them, they ignite and start a new flame. This process is called "reignition."

Why does a candle sometimes not relight using its smoke?

If the candle is not able to relight using its smoke, it could be because the smoke has already cooled down and the particles are no longer hot enough to reignite. It could also be because the smoke is being blown away by air currents, preventing it from reaching the flame. Additionally, if the candle was recently blown out, there may not be enough smoke to relight the candle.

Is it safe to relight a candle using its smoke?

Relighting a candle using its smoke is generally safe, as long as you take proper precautions. Make sure to hold the candle steady and keep your fingers away from the flame. Also, be cautious of any objects or materials that may be close to the candle and could catch fire. It's always a good idea to have a fire extinguisher nearby, just in case.