Potential of Concentric Cylindrical Insulator and Conducting Shell

In summary, an infinitely long solid insulating cylinder with radius a = 5.3 cm and charge density ρ = 45 μC/m3 is positioned with its symmetry axis along the z-axis. It is surrounded by a conducting shell with inner radius b = 14.2 cm and outer radius c = 16.2 cm, with a linear charge density λ = -0.42μC/m. The y-component of the electric field at a point located at a distance d = 44 cm from the origin along the y-axis is not correct. The correct calculation is E = (2*(8.99*10^9)*(7.0*10^6+(-4.2*10^-7))
dancingmonkey
An infinitely long solid insulating cylinder of radius a = 5.3 cm is positioned with its symmetry axis along the z-axis as shown. The cylinder is uniformly charged with a charge density ρ = 45 μC/m3. Concentric with the cylinder is a cylindrical conducting shell of inner radius b = 14.2 cm, and outer radius c = 16.2 cm. The conducting shell has a linear charge density λ = -0.42μC/m.

1)What is Ey(R), the y-component of the electric field at point R, located a distance d = 44 cm from the origin along the y-axis as shown?

2)What is V(P) – V(R), the potential difference between points P and R? Point P is located at (x,y) = (44 cm, 44 cm).

E = Qenc/[itex]\epsilon[/itex]
E = [2k([itex]\lambda[/itex](cylinder) + [itex]\lambda[/itex](shell))]/r

[itex]\lambda[/itex]c = [itex]\rho[/itex]*A
= [itex]\rho[/itex]*2[itex]\pi[/itex]*0.053*0.044
= 7.0*10^-6 C/m

E = (2*(8.99*10^9)*(7.0*10^6+(-4.2*10^-7)))/0.44m
= 268883 N/C

But that answer is not correct. Please help me! I would appreciate detailed explanation or work, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
dancingmonkey said:
But that answer is not correct. Please help me! I would appreciate detailed explanation or work, thank you!
Surely you don't mean you want someone here to do the work for you?

Anyway, I see several errors in your calculation:
dancingmonkey said:
E = Qenc/[itex]\epsilon[/itex]
That formula is not correct, as you could see if you check the units
dancingmonkey said:
E = [2k([itex]\lambda[/itex](cylinder) + [itex]\lambda[/itex](shell))]/r
What's k? If you're using [itex]k = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}[/itex], then I don't see how you get that formula.

dancingmonkey said:

That line seems right (assuming you meant the c to be a subscript, not a variable on its own)
dancingmonkey said:
but that line is not. Hint: what's the area of a circle? (What does the variable A physically represent?)

dancingmonkey said:
= 7.0*10^-6 C/m

I think A is supposed to be the cross section of the inner cylinder, and ρ its radius. So why ρ*2π? and what is 0.044?

ehild

What is a concentric cylindrical insulator and conducting shell?

A concentric cylindrical insulator and conducting shell is a type of electrical setup where a cylindrical insulator is surrounded by a conducting shell, with both components sharing the same axis. This setup is commonly used in electrical systems to provide insulation and prevent electrical leakage.

How does a concentric cylindrical insulator and conducting shell work?

The insulator acts as a barrier between the conducting shell and the surrounding environment, preventing the flow of electricity. The conducting shell, on the other hand, acts as a shield and redirects any electrical fields away from the insulator. Together, they create a safe and efficient electrical system.

What are the benefits of using a concentric cylindrical insulator and conducting shell?

One of the main benefits is its ability to provide insulation and prevent electrical leakage. It also helps to reduce the risk of electrical shocks and increases the efficiency of electrical systems. Additionally, the setup is cost-effective and easy to maintain.

What materials are commonly used for a concentric cylindrical insulator and conducting shell?

The insulator is typically made of materials such as ceramic, glass, or plastic, while the conducting shell is commonly made of metals like copper or aluminum. The specific materials used may vary depending on the electrical system's requirements and the level of insulation needed.

What are some real-world applications of a concentric cylindrical insulator and conducting shell?

This setup is commonly used in high-voltage electrical systems, such as power transmission lines and transformers, to provide insulation and prevent electrical leakage. It is also used in electronic devices, such as capacitors and resistors, to improve their efficiency and safety.