Matrices in power diagonal question

In summary: If you have two different eigenvalues, then you should have two different eigenvectors. So, for t=1, you should get (1,0) and (0,1). For t=27, you should get (1,1) and (-1,1). These are the columns of U.
nhrock3
find B matrices so [tex]B^{3}=A=\left(\begin{array}{cc}14 & 13\\13 & 14\end{array}\right)[/tex]

,the diagonal form of A is [tex]D=\left(\begin{array}{cc}a & 0\\0 & b\end{array}\right)[/tex]

i got weird numbers so for convinience the eigenvalues are a,b

so there is U for which

[tex]U^{-1}AU=\left(\begin{array}{cc}a^{\frac{1}{3}} & 0\\0 & b^{\frac{1}{3}}\end{array}\right)^{3}[/tex]

i can find U
because A is simetric so U is consists of the orthonormal eigenvectors of A
what to do next,how to find B

?

Physics news on Phys.org
nhrock3 said:
find B matrices so [tex]B^{3}=A=\left(\begin{array}{cc}14 & 13\\13 & 14\end{array}\right)[/tex]

,the diagonal form of A is [tex]D=\left(\begin{array}{cc}a & 0\\0 & b\end{array}\right)[/tex]

so there is U for which

[tex]U^{-1}AU=\left(\begin{array}{cc}a^{\frac{1}{3}} & 0\\0 & b^{\frac{1}{3}}\end{array}\right)^{3}[/tex]

i can find U

?
You have U-1AU = D, where D is a diagonal matrix whose entries are the eigenvalues of A.

It turns out that U-1A1/3U is a cube root of D (or D1/3), where D1/3 is also a diagonal matrix whose entries are the cube roots of the entries of D. In short, U-1A1/3U = D1/3.

To verify that U-1A1/3U is a cube root of D,
notice that (U-1A1/3U)3
= (U-1A1/3U)(U-1A1/3U)(U-1A1/3U)
= U-1A1/3UU-1A1/3UU-1A1/3U
= U-1A1/3A1/3A1/3U
= U-1AU = D.

In other words, if we cube U-1A1/3U, we get D, so U-1A1/3U is a cube root of D.

To get B, which is A1/3, multiply both sides of the equation U-1A1/3U = D1/3 on the left by U, and multiply both sides on the right by U-1.

nhrock3 said:

so there is U for which

i can find U

?

Why do you say the eigenvalues of A are 'weird'? They don't look weird to me. In fact they are both integer cubes. What did you get? I think you can do this whole exercise with easy numbers.

Last edited:
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}14 & 13\\13 & 14\end{array}\right)[/tex]

the caracterstic polinomial

[tex]P(t)=(t-14)^{2}-169=t^{2}-28t+27[/tex]

t=1 t=27

for t=1 i get (-1,1) and for t=27 i got the same (-1,1)

so the transformation matrices is not invertible which is wrong

where is my mistake?

nhrock3 said:
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc}14 & 13\\13 & 14\end{array}\right)[/tex]

the caracterstic polinomial

[tex]P(t)=(t-14)^{2}-169=t^{2}-28t+27[/tex]

t=1 t=27

for t=1 i get (-1,1) and for t=27 i got the same (-1,1)

so the transformation matrices is not invertible which is wrong

where is my mistake?

Your mistake is in what you didn't show. (-1,1) can't have an eigenvalue of both 1 and 27. Which is it?

1. What is a power diagonal matrix?

A power diagonal matrix is a square matrix where all the elements on the main diagonal are raised to a certain power, while all the other elements are equal to zero. For example, in a 3x3 matrix, the elements on the main diagonal would be raised to the power of 2, while all the other elements would be equal to zero.

2. How is a power diagonal matrix used in linear algebra?

Power diagonal matrices are particularly useful in linear algebra because they can simplify certain calculations, such as matrix multiplication and finding determinants. They also have important applications in areas such as differential equations and graph theory.

3. Can all matrices be converted into power diagonal form?

No, not all matrices can be converted into power diagonal form. Only square matrices (where the number of rows is equal to the number of columns) can be converted into power diagonal form. Additionally, not all square matrices can be converted into power diagonal form, as some may have complex or non-real eigenvalues.

4. How can I convert a matrix into power diagonal form?

To convert a matrix into power diagonal form, you can use diagonalization techniques such as finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix. Once you have the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, you can use them to create a diagonal matrix with the eigenvalues on the main diagonal. Then, you can use the eigenvectors to find the transformation matrix that will convert the original matrix into power diagonal form.

5. What are the advantages of using power diagonal matrices?

Power diagonal matrices have several advantages, such as simplifying calculations in linear algebra and having applications in various fields of mathematics. They can also make it easier to find patterns and relationships within a matrix, as the non-zero elements are concentrated on the main diagonal. Additionally, power diagonal matrices can help in solving systems of differential equations and can be used to represent complex systems in a simpler way.