Special Relativity / Quantum Physics Books

In summary, the speaker is a mathematics major who recently changed their minor to physics and is currently taking a Modern Physics course, which is their lowest grade. They are looking for books on special relativity and introductory quantum mechanics to improve their understanding of the material. They have more mathematics knowledge than is required for a third or fourth year physics student. Suggestions for books include Brehm's "Introduction to the Structure of Matter", Eisberg's "Fundamentals of Modern Physics", and Pfeffer's "Modern Physics: an introductory text". The speaker highly recommends Brehm's book.
jppike
I am currently a mathematics major in my third year of study, and I recently changed my minor from economics to physics, so I am taking physics courses at the second year level, including classical mechanics, e&m, etc, which are all going fine, and an introductory course in modern physics. This course is by far my lowest grade currently, so I'm looking to improve my understanding of the material.

The textbook the course uses is Modern Physics by Serway, Moses, and Moyer, which I found very difficult to learn anything from. I understand the course is a survey course, but this textbook I just can't work with; it has the feel of first year books with biographies and useless pictures and a chatty quality.

The course starts with special relativity, then introductory quantum physics (blackbody radiation, photoelectric effect, compton effect, etc) leading up to very basic quantum mechanics (takes up only the last week or so of the course). Along the way we cover basic statistical mechanics, but I didn't have much trouble with that. So I'm looking for a book on special relativity and a book on introductory quantum mechanics that I could learn from. It is fine if the material goes beyond this course (I'll be taking QM next year anyways), and I have more mathematics under my belt than is required of a third or fourth year physics student, so if more mathematics is expected of the reader, that's fine.

What would you suggest?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
jppike said:
I am currently a mathematics major in my third year of study, and I recently changed my minor from economics to physics, so I am taking physics courses at the second year level, including classical mechanics, e&m, etc, which are all going fine, and an introductory course in modern physics. This course is by far my lowest grade currently, so I'm looking to improve my understanding of the material.

The textbook the course uses is Modern Physics by Serway, Moses, and Moyer, which I found very difficult to learn anything from. I understand the course is a survey course, but this textbook I just can't work with; it has the feel of first year books with biographies and useless pictures and a chatty quality.

The course starts with special relativity, then introductory quantum physics (blackbody radiation, photoelectric effect, compton effect, etc) leading up to very basic quantum mechanics (takes up only the last week or so of the course). Along the way we cover basic statistical mechanics, but I didn't have much trouble with that. So I'm looking for a book on special relativity and a book on introductory quantum mechanics that I could learn from. It is fine if the material goes beyond this course (I'll be taking QM next year anyways), and I have more mathematics under my belt than is required of a third or fourth year physics student, so if more mathematics is expected of the reader, that's fine.

What would you suggest?

Thanks!
I'm also taking a Modern Physics course (before the QM courses).
I've heard about the Serway, though I don't own it (my friend uses it only to more or less understand the material and then he goes into other books). Our course follows more or less Brehm's book "Introduction to the structure of matter", it has everything you mentioned and even (much) more. I borrowed it from library 2 days ago, so far I find it quite good.
Other book I've heard good thing about: Eisberg's "Fundamentals of Modern Physics".
In a lesser extent: Pfeffer's book "Modern Physics: an introductory text".
I also heard about a book of Alon and Finn but I wouldn't be surprised if it's similar to Serway's book.
All in all, I strongly suggest you to have a look on Brehm's book.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein in 1905 to explain the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and the speed of light in a vacuum is the same for all observers regardless of their relative motion.

2. How is special relativity different from classical mechanics?

Special relativity is different from classical mechanics in that it considers the effects of high speeds and gravity on the measurements of space and time. It also introduces the concept of spacetime, where space and time are not separate entities but are intertwined.

3. What is the importance of special relativity?

Special relativity has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It has been confirmed through various experiments and is the basis for modern theories such as general relativity and quantum mechanics. It also plays a crucial role in our understanding of fundamental particles and their interactions.

4. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains phenomena that classical physics cannot, such as particle-wave duality and quantum entanglement. It is also the basis for many modern technologies, such as transistors and lasers.

5. How does quantum physics relate to special relativity?

Quantum mechanics and special relativity are two of the most fundamental theories in physics, but they have not yet been unified into a single theory. Both theories have been successful in explaining different phenomena, but there are still unanswered questions about their compatibility. Some theories, such as quantum field theory, attempt to bridge the gap between these two theories.