An introduction to basic electronics and electric systems

In summary, the conversation discusses a software guy's interest in learning the basics of electronics, specifically about voltages, generators, capacitors, and other related topics. They are looking for recommended sources such as a book or website, and pondering the best place to ask questions about this topic. The suggestion is made to ask questions at the Electrical Engineering Forum and to consider using the book "Microelectronics (SEDRA)".
s09
Hey all, was wondering if someone knows of a book (if it's on safari books online, even better!), website or other source that teaches me -- a software guy -- the basics of electronics. Basically I want to know about voltages, generators, capacitors and everything in-between.

Wanna have my hand at something I've been thinking of. Also, what's the best place to ask questions about this topic in PF? Should I try a completely different forum entirely?

Physics news on Phys.org
Microelectronics (SEDRA) is really good.

What is the definition of basic electronics?

Basic electronics is a branch of science and engineering that deals with the study and application of electronic devices and systems, such as circuits, transistors, and diodes.

What are the fundamental components of an electric system?

The basic components of an electric system include a power source, conductors, resistors, capacitors, and switches. These components work together to control the flow of electricity and convert it into different forms, such as light, heat, or motion.

What is the difference between AC and DC electricity?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) electricity are the two main types of electrical currents. AC electricity changes direction periodically, while DC electricity flows in one direction. AC electricity is used for power distribution, while DC electricity is commonly used in electronic devices such as batteries.

How do you calculate voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit?

According to Ohm's Law, voltage (V) is equal to the product of current (I) and resistance (R). This can be represented by the formula V = I x R. To calculate any of these values, you need to know the other two values.

What are some common applications of basic electronics?

Basic electronics are used in various applications, such as communication systems (radio, TV, internet), consumer electronics (computers, smartphones, home appliances), and industrial machinery (control systems, sensors, motors). It also plays a crucial role in fields such as medicine, transportation, and renewable energy.