Finding the Rate of Change of Theta in a Ship Navigation Problem

In summary: I'm currently taking a university level calculus course and I love it. I highly suggest doing the same if you want to achieve great grades in college and don't want to waste your time and money by not taking the course that is meant for you. Thanks for your input!In summary, Ship A is traveling due west towards a lighthouse at a speed of 15km/hr. Ship B is traveling due north away from the lighthouse at a speed of 10 km/hr. The distance between ship A and the lighthouse at time t is x. The distance between ship B and the light house at time t is y. The angle is also function of time through x and y. Ship A moves towards
Rayquesto

Homework Statement

Ship A is traveling due West towards a lighthouse at a speed of 15km/hr. Ship B is traveling due north away from the lighthouse at a speed of 10 km/hr. Let x be the distance between ship A and the lighthouse at time t, and let y be the distance between ship B and the light house at time t.

Since I cannot show a picture, the lighthouse is directly below ship B which is headed north (So, the light house is south of ship B) and ship A is directly east of the lighthouse headed toward the lighthouse to directly west.

a)I figured this one out. It wasn't that bad to me.
b) Let θ be the angle in reference to ship A between ship B and the lighthouse. Find the rate of change of θ, in radians per hour, when x=4km and y=3km

Homework Equations

θ=(taninverse y/x)
θ'=((1)/((y/x)^2 + 1)))(x(dy/dx))+(y)/(x^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

θ'=((1)/((3km/4km)^2 +1)))(4km(dy/dx))+(3km)/(4km^2)

but how would you find dy/dx
do I assume it is y/x?

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that
[tex]\frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}} = \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

Remember that both x and y are functions of time, x(t) and y(t). The components of velocity are the time derivatives of the coordinates. Ship A moves towards west with constant velocity of 15 km/h. Its position is x(t)=x(0)-15t. Ship B moves to south with 10 km/h. its position is y(t)=y(0)+10t.

The angle is also function of time through x and y.
You wrote it correctly that [tex]\theta= \tan^{-1}(y(t)/x(t))[/tex]
Calculate dθ/dt applying the chain rule. Now both x and y are function of t. And remember the derivative of (f/g).

ehild

Attachments

• ships.JPG
    ships.JPG
    3.5 KB · Views: 599
Last edited:
WHOA! Thats it...man wow! Thanks again!

I meant JHamm. Thank you for showing me the error I had which lead me to a false conclusion.

@ehild oh yea if you apply the chain rule to functions of time, you get Leibniz notations of functions of time in terms of both dy/dt or dx/dt. OH! thanks.

y is not function of x in this problem, but theta is function of both y and x, and both depend on time.

so [tex]\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{d\tan^{-1}(y/x)}{dt}=\frac{1}{1+(y/x)^2}\frac{y'x -x'y}{x^2}[/tex]
y'=10 km/h, x'=-15 km/h.

ehild

Last edited:
So, Yes, I have a lot of these corrections from old tests written on my paper, but as far as this problem specifically, I didn't do it until just a few minutes ago. I felt compelled to make a correction. When I was going through the corrections, I noticed that you have no other choice but to use the function of theta in terms of a function of x and a function of y. After you write the function out and compute the derivative, it is much much much different than my original calculation. I feel like I oversimplify things too much. Good thing I seek help. I'll get this stuff down one of these days. I mean, I'm not even in calculus 1 yet. These are just old tests I had from high school AP calculus AB that I'm using to practice for this upcoming semester. Technically, I could move on to calculus 2, but I want to make sure I can get an "A" in calculus 1 and have a boost on my gpa. I really want to go to UC Berkeley to get a B.S. in civil engineering. I have accepted the challenge. I feel confident that I could do it from the study skills I learned throughout high school and this past semester at Chabot Community College, in Hayward.

So, Here's my correction

since Theta(t)=taninverse(y(t)/x(t))

then Theta'(t)=((1)/((1+y(t)/x(t))^2)(x(dy/dt) - y(dx/dt))/(x^2) like what you wrote out.

so,

Theta'(t)=dtheta/dt
x=4km, y=3km
dtheta/dt[4km, 3km]=((1)/((1)+(3km/4km)^2))(4km(10km/hr) - 3km(-15km/hr))/(4km^2)

dtheta/dt[4km, 3km]=+3.4rad/hr

Well done!

You must understand the principles of Calculus before stepping further. High-school calculus is not of the same level as that at a university. Better to start from the beginning.

ehild

Well, the AP calculus system was meant to contain the same classes as a university leveled calculus course, which explains why I never even passed one exam and why I totally failed the class until my teacher was nice enough to give me a c- since I not only shaped up on the material near the end of the class and aced 4 retake test along with the completion of a video project I did on various topics throughout the course, but also because I got a 3 on the AP exam which means I passed the AP exam being eligible for college credit at certain colleges for calculus 1 and a seat in calculus 2. The only difference is the pace really. The AP calculus class I took was meant for the first semester university leveled calculus spread out into one year.

So, in so many words, getting an "A" in calculus 1 will redeem my 'completely fill to the brim' inferiority I once had for AP calculus AB with a witch teacher and will give me confidence and skill to do well in calculus 2. Now I know for myself that the best way to do things is to be 80 percent prepared for anything you will encounter in such a difficult or comprehensive class such as calculus, chemistry, physics, biology, or any engineering class. Of course, for the engineering classes, I don't feel that I would need to go through this 1 semester preparation process of being 80 percent prepared, because physics and other sciences will take care of that I'm sure. I haven't taken a class you need for engineering such as a thermodynamics course or statics course, but I feel that if I already spend enough time thinking about this stuff and trying to expand upon the material, rather than what's there, I will be fine with those other classes not having to spend really long hours a semester before the course has started to be prepared to Ace the class or perhaps to get a B since this will be at UC Berkeley hopefully.

1. What is the definition of rate of change in theta?

The rate of change in theta refers to the rate at which the angle theta is changing with respect to time or another independent variable. It measures the slope of the curve representing the change in theta over a specific time period.

2. How is the rate of change in theta calculated?

The rate of change in theta can be calculated by finding the derivative of the function representing theta with respect to time or the independent variable. This can be done using calculus or by using numerical methods such as finite differences.

3. What does a positive rate of change in theta indicate?

A positive rate of change in theta indicates that the angle theta is increasing over time or the independent variable. It can also represent a curve that is sloping upward.

4. How is the rate of change in theta used in real-world applications?

The rate of change in theta is used in many fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and mechanics. It is particularly useful in analyzing and predicting the motion of objects, as well as in understanding the behavior of systems and processes.

5. Can the rate of change in theta ever be negative?

Yes, the rate of change in theta can be negative. This indicates that the angle theta is decreasing over time or the independent variable. It can also represent a curve that is sloping downward.