Solving Liquid Flow Problem: Speed in Lower Pipe

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of Bernoulli's equation to determine the speed of a liquid flowing through a horizontal pipe. The equation was simplified by removing pressure and density, and using the flow continuity equation to solve for the initial velocity. The calculated velocity was confirmed to be correct.
thursdaytbs
"A liquid is flowing through a horizontal pipe whose radius is 0.10m. The pipe bends straight up for 10.0m and joins another horizontal pipe whose radius is 0.20m. It was found that the pressure in the lower pipe and the upper pipe were the same. What is the speed in the lower pipe? [An image shows this that the higher pipe is 10m above it."

I'm just checking if this is right, any help - thanks.

I used Bernoulli's Equation of
[tex]P_{1} + \frac{1}{2} \rho v_{1}^2 + \rho gy_{1} = P_{2} + \frac{1}{2} \rho v_{2}^2 + \rho gy_{2}[/tex]
[Initial conditions = Final conditions, where P=pressure, v=velocity, [tex]\rho[/tex]=density, and y=height]

Since it said "a liquid" i knew [tex]\rho[/tex]=[tex]\rho[/tex], and the pressure is the same so [tex]P_{1}[/tex]=[tex]P_{1}[/tex]. So I removed Pressure from both sides, and removed [tex]\rho[/tex].

The new equation:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} v_{1}^2 + gy_{1} = \frac{1}{2} v_{2}^2 + gy_{2}[/tex]

since [tex]y_{1} = 0[/tex], it becomes: [tex]\frac{1}{2}v_{1}^2 = \frac{1}{2}v_{2}^2 + (9.8)(10)[/tex]

then I plugged that equation into [tex]Av_{1} = Av_{2}[/tex] [area times velocity = area times velocity, 2equations-2unknowns.]

I solved for the first velocity getting 14.44m/s.

**Can anyone confirm if this is the right way? -Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this is what i got

[tex] \frac{1}{2}v_{2}^2 + gh = \frac{1}{2}v_{1}^2 [/tex]

For solving this you need the Flow Continuity equation

[tex] A_{1}v_{1} = A_{2}v_{2} [/tex]

Just like you did

Good work! :smile:

Awsome, thank you so much. :approve:

1. What is the best method for solving liquid flow problems?

The best method for solving liquid flow problems is by using the Bernoulli's equation, which relates the pressure, velocity, and elevation of a fluid at different points in a pipe. This equation can be used to calculate the speed of the liquid in a lower pipe.

2. How does the diameter of a pipe affect the speed of liquid flow?

The diameter of a pipe has a direct effect on the speed of liquid flow. As the diameter increases, the speed of the liquid decreases. This is because a larger diameter pipe allows for a greater volume of liquid to flow through, resulting in a slower flow rate.

3. What are the key factors that influence the speed of liquid flow in a lower pipe?

The key factors that influence the speed of liquid flow in a lower pipe include the diameter of the pipe, the pressure of the liquid, and the viscosity of the liquid. Additionally, the length and roughness of the pipe can also have an impact on the speed of flow.

4. How can we calculate the speed of liquid flow in a lower pipe?

The speed of liquid flow in a lower pipe can be calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the pressure, velocity, and elevation of the liquid at different points in the pipe. By solving this equation, the speed of flow can be determined.

5. How can we increase the speed of liquid flow in a lower pipe?

There are a few ways to increase the speed of liquid flow in a lower pipe. One way is to increase the pressure of the liquid, which can be achieved by using a pump or by elevating the source of the liquid. Another way is to decrease the viscosity of the liquid, which can be achieved by heating the liquid or by using a thinner liquid. Additionally, using a larger diameter pipe or a smoother pipe can also increase the speed of flow.