Energy of an electron in a uranium atom

In summary, the conversation discusses using special relativity to estimate the percentage corrections to the n=1 energy in a uranium (Z=92) atom. The reduced mass is needed to find the energy, which can be calculated using the formula u = Me * M(nucleus)/(Me + Mnucleus). However, the reduced mass correction is insignificant compared to the relativistic correction, which is m = m0/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). In order to find the relativistic mass, the mass of the uranium nucleus should be used instead of the mass of a proton. The conversation also addresses the calculation of the speed of an electron in a uranium atom, and clarifies that the force should be calculated using the
StephenD420
using special relativity m = m0/(1-v^2/c^2) on an electron orbiting with a speed of 2.01 * 10^8 m/s in an atom,estimate the percentage corrections to the n=1 energy in a uranium (Z=92) atom.

so to find the energy I first need the reduced mass, u, for En = u*(9e9)^2*e^4*Z^2/2(h bar)^2*n^2.
How do I find the reduced mass? I know it is u = Me * M(nucleus)/(Me + Mnucleus)
but how can I find the mass of the nucleus. The answer my professor gave was there was a correction of 35%, but I cannot compare the energies until I have the reduced mass that will be in the first energy, then I change the reduced mass using the special relativity formula above, and then find the n= 1 energy again and find the percent difference.

I would really appreciate any help.
Thanks.
Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org
Would the reduced mass be = (Me * (92*Mproton))/(Me +92*Mproton)?

Please, a quick reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Stephen

Just a quick aside as a part of the same problem for a hydrogen at n=1 state with a reduced mass of 9.10444*10^(-31) kg with special relativistic effects makes u = 9.10468*10^(-31) kg
to make E =u*(8.988*10^9)^2*(1.6022*10^(-19))^4/ (2(1.0546*10^(-34))^2)

which makes the percent correction for hydrogen .0027%.

is this right?

StephenD420 said:
Would the reduced mass be = (Me * (92*Mproton))/(Me +92*Mproton)?

Please, a quick reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Stephen

Actually you would use mass of the uranium nucleus in that formula. That would be about 238*Mproton because there are a lot of neutrons in there too. But you needn't bother. The reduced mass correction is insignificant compared with the relativistic correction in uranium. Just compute that one.

How would I find the relativistic mass without knowing the reduced mass?? What formula should I use to find the reduced mass?

Thanks
Stephen

StephenD420 said:
How would I find the relativistic mass without knowing the reduced mass?? What formula should I use to find the reduced mass?

Thanks
Stephen

You have the right formula for the reduced mass. You should use the mass of the U nucleus instead of Mproton. But you are going to find the reduced mass is really really really close to being the same as Me because the nucleus is so heavy. The important mass correction is the one you had in your problem statement m = m0/sqrt(1-v^2/c^2). I just noticed you left the square root out of that formula. Just find that correction.

so use m0=Me is this what you are saying??

StephenD420 said:
so use m0=Me is this what you are saying??

That's exactly what I'm saying.

ok...so I emailed my professor and he said to use the same numbers as in the following problem:

The problem was to find the speed of an electron in a uranium atom in n=1.
so I started with r = (hbar)^2/ u*(9e9)(92)e^2=5.7549*10^-13 m with u = 9.10444*10^(-34) kg which is the reduced mass of a hydrogen atom then I went to F=ke^2/r^2 = mv^2/r and found v^2 = 2.10 * 10^7 m/s but my professor says that it is 2.01*10^8 m/s.

So I do not have the numbers right in this problem and so my numbers for the problem of the thread is wrong. Where am I messing up??

Please, Please help. My professor just said that I should think about it and the fact that hydrogen is Z=1 and uranium is Z=92.

Thanks.
Stephen

StephenD420 said:
ok...so I emailed my professor and he said to use the same numbers as in the following problem:

The problem was to find the speed of an electron in a uranium atom in n=1.
so I started with r = (hbar)^2/ u*(9e9)(92)e^2=5.7549*10^-13 m with u = 9.10444*10^(-34) kg which is the reduced mass of a hydrogen atom then I went to F=ke^2/r^2 = mv^2/r and found v^2 = 2.10 * 10^7 m/s but my professor says that it is 2.01*10^8 m/s.

So I do not have the numbers right in this problem and so my numbers for the problem of the thread is wrong. Where am I messing up??

Please, Please help. My professor just said that I should think about it and the fact that hydrogen is Z=1 and uranium is Z=92.

Thanks.
Stephen

I'm not following all of that, but when you do F=ke^2/r^2 = mv^2/r it looks like you are balancing electric force and centripetal acceleration. But why ke^2/r^2? Isn't the the charge of the nucleus 92e, not e?

ahhh...you are right. so would the force =k92e^2/r^2=mv^2/r?? So I do not need to worry about the reduced mass, just use the mass of electron,9.1094*10^(-31) kg, or the reduced mass of an electron proton pair, 9.10444*10^(-31) kg??

Thanks.
Stephen

StephenD420 said:
ahhh...you are right. so would the force =k92e^2/r^2=mv^2/r?? So I do not need to worry about the reduced mass, just use the mass of electron,9.1094*10^(-31) kg, or the reduced mass of an electron proton pair, 9.10444*10^(-31) kg??

Thanks.
Stephen

Yes, use Me. Since you don't seem to believe me find the reduced mass in uranium. Tell me how close it is to Me. There is absolutely no reason to use the reduced mass of an electron proton pair. That has nothing to do with this problem at all.

1. What is the energy of an electron in a uranium atom?

The energy of an electron in a uranium atom can vary depending on its energy level or orbital. The average energy of an electron in a uranium atom is approximately -3.70 electron volts (eV).

2. How is the energy of an electron in a uranium atom calculated?

The energy of an electron in a uranium atom is calculated using the formula E = -13.6*(Z^2/n^2) eV, where Z is the atomic number and n is the principal quantum number of the electron's energy level.

3. What factors affect the energy of an electron in a uranium atom?

The energy of an electron in a uranium atom can be affected by the atom's nuclear charge, the electron's distance from the nucleus, and the electron's energy level or orbital. Other factors such as spin, magnetic field, and interactions with other particles can also impact the energy of the electron.

4. How does the energy of an electron in a uranium atom relate to its stability?

The energy of an electron in a uranium atom is closely related to its stability. Electrons with lower energy levels are more stable and are less likely to be excited or ionized. The energy levels of electrons in an atom follow a specific pattern, with the lowest energy level being the most stable.

5. Can the energy of an electron in a uranium atom be changed?

Yes, the energy of an electron in a uranium atom can be changed through various processes such as absorption or emission of energy, collisions with other particles, or interactions with external forces such as electric and magnetic fields. These changes in energy can result in the electron moving to a different energy level or even being ejected from the atom.