Mechanical engineering degree vs mechanical engineering technology degree

In summary: If you start at Metro State and transfer to CU Boulder after the first semester, you will need to show your grandmother that you will make the grades required to attend CU Boulder.
kdoyle13
What is the difference? My school only offers the technology one. It says you can still take the exams to become a licensed engineer. Will this make an impact job wise? Good or bad?

Physics news on Phys.org
Google "engineering technology vs engineering"

About 7,530,000 results (0.15 seconds)

Vanadium 50 said:
Google "engineering technology vs engineering"

About 7,530,000 results (0.15 seconds)

wow thanks.. I've done that.. I wanted to know if anyone on here noticed it affecting they're ability to get hired.

As an engineer? It should! Otherwise, you're comparing apples with oranges.

Vanadium 50 said:
As an engineer? It should! Otherwise, you're comparing apples with oranges.

well what if i minor in math.. will that help? it would be a bachelors of science in mechanical engineering technology with concentration in manufacturing and a minor in math.

Typically, it is a lighter curriculum than an ME degree, so yes, it will affect your job prospects.

russ_watters said:
Typically, it is a lighter curriculum than an ME degree, so yes, it will affect your job prospects.

if i do the minor in math and take a couple extra chem classes.. will that help?

Randomly adding courses/minors will not necessarily help your ability to get hired. Engineering "Technology" degrees are typically not accredited by ABET, and as such, it will be hard/difficult/illegal to market yourself as a professional engineer. You would likely have to complete your degree at the institution you are at, and then transfer to an ABET accredited school (http://www.abet.org/) and graduate from there in order to be licensed/hired as a true engineer.

YMMV

scavers said:
Randomly adding courses/minors will not necessarily help your ability to get hired. Engineering "Technology" degrees are typically not accredited by ABET, and as such, it will be hard/difficult/illegal to market yourself as a professional engineer. You would likely have to complete your degree at the institution you are at, and then transfer to an ABET accredited school (http://www.abet.org/) and graduate from there in order to be licensed/hired as a true engineer.

YMMV

This school is accredited by the ABET.. metro state college of denver. You can still take the exams to become a licensed engineer.

It is accredited as an engineering technology program, see:

http://www.abet.org/engineering-vs-engineering-technology/

specifically

Graduates from engineering programs are called engineers. They often pursue entry-level work involving conceptual design or research and development. Many continue on to graduate-level work in engineering.

Graduates of four-year engineering technology programs are called technologists, while graduates of two-year engineering technology programs are called technicians. These professionals are most likely to enter positions in sectors such as construction, manufacturing, product design, testing, or technical services and sales. Those who pursue further study often consider engineering, or facilities management, or business administration.

So, while it is accredited as an Engineering Technology program, it is not accredited as an Engineering Program. I should have made that clear in my first post. So while it is accredited by ABET as a Technology program, it is not a full fledged Engineering program, and as such, will likely cause issues with future employers.

oh ok, that makes more sense now. so how about this... the reason I am considering metro state instead of CU Boulder is price right now. I have to show my grandmother good grades in my first semester at college for her to pay for the rest and I can't afford tuition at CU Boulder for the first semester. If I start at metro.. what if I transfer to CU after the first semester?

kdoyle13 said:
oh ok, that makes more sense now. so how about this... the reason I am considering metro state instead of CU Boulder is price right now. I have to show my grandmother good grades in my first semester at college for her to pay for the rest and I can't afford tuition at CU Boulder for the first semester. If I start at metro.. what if I transfer to CU after the first semester?

that is likely something you would need to discuss with the admissions/engineering folk at CUBoulder. Often because of accredidation, there will be odd rules with respect to transfer credits, but it is usually possible with some work. The biggest requirements is that you get credit for all required courses under CU Boulders curriculum and that you graduate with their degree.

scavers said:
that is likely something you would need to discuss with the admissions/engineering folk at CUBoulder. Often because of accredidation, there will be odd rules with respect to transfer credits, but it is usually possible with some work. The biggest requirements is that you get credit for all required courses under CU Boulders curriculum and that you graduate with their degree.

True .. I would be willing to start over there.. I just have to show my grandmother that I will make the grades.

Well I just looked up tuition costs for CU Boulder and it's not as extreme as I remember reading so I'm just going to go ahead and apply there. Thanks everyone!

kdoyle13 said:
Well I just looked up tuition costs for CU Boulder and it's not as extreme as I remember reading so I'm just going to go ahead and apply there. Thanks everyone!

Sure can't hurt. Maybe you'll snag a scholarship there and things will work out. Maybe your loans will cover it.

I have a local university that is actually quite decent that only has ET programs there, which are ABET-accredited. I also work with several engineers who have earned ET programs from said university, or another one in my state. They have told me stories about how employers didn't consider their programs "real engineering", even if they learned a lot of theory along with the more hands-on approach to the subjects. They expressed regret for not getting an 'Engineering Science' degree, (Like Mechanical Engineering, etc.) as they've hit a glass ceiling in terms of job prospects and salary.

The point is, if you like math and the scientific theory behind designing products, do ME (or another Engineering Science degree). Even if you want to do more practical, hands-on work as an engineer (working, building, testing machines, etc.) I would still recommend the Engineering Science BS. It gives you a lot more opportunity, whereas if you get an ET degree, you're pretty much stuck working in a machine shop or doing tasks barely more complicated than a machinist would.

This isn't a bad career (especially if it's something you enjoy), but I don't like the idea of being stuck anywhere. I like the idea of being able to move, even if I'm working at the same job as if I didn't have the degree. I find it's easier to do a job when you know you don't have to, or because you choose to, rather than doing it simply because you have no other choice. It can be frustrating.

kdoyle13 said:

CU-Boulder is more expensive than Metro but it's also much more difficult. I know several people that transferred out of CU-Boulder and went over to Metro, they say because of the price which I agree with. But there's one catch. These were the students that were scraping by at CU (most of them were ~2.0 students) and after they left they tell me that they're getting straight A's at Metro..

CU-Boulder gives a lot of homework in comparison to other schools I've attended (CU-Denver) and overall it's a much more challenging school. Last semester my Diffy Q/Linear Algebra class had assignments due every week and they would take me a solid 15 hours to finish. My programming and circuits classes weren't much different.

I would be ready to hit the ground running if you attend CU-Boulder. They'll warn you that the first semester will slash your GPA and they aren't kidding. There is definitely an adjustment period the first semester here. CU is well aware of this so much so that they wrote a large guide for first year engineering students:

http://engineering.colorado.edu/downloads/dilaura.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the main difference between a mechanical engineering degree and a mechanical engineering technology degree?

A mechanical engineering degree focuses on the theoretical and conceptual aspects of designing, creating, and analyzing mechanical systems and devices. It includes courses in advanced mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. On the other hand, a mechanical engineering technology degree focuses on the practical application of engineering concepts and prepares students for hands-on work in the field. It includes courses in technical drawing, computer-aided design, and manufacturing processes.

2. Which degree is more suitable for someone who wants to work in research and development?

A mechanical engineering degree is more suitable for someone interested in research and development. It provides a strong foundation in theoretical concepts and problem-solving skills, which are essential for conducting research and developing new technologies. A mechanical engineering technology degree may also involve some research, but it is more focused on practical application and implementation of existing technologies.

3. Are the job opportunities different for someone with a mechanical engineering degree versus a mechanical engineering technology degree?

Both degrees can lead to various job opportunities in the field of mechanical engineering. However, a mechanical engineering degree may open up more opportunities in research and development, while a mechanical engineering technology degree may be more suitable for positions in manufacturing, production, and maintenance.

4. Is one degree considered more prestigious or valuable than the other?

Both degrees hold value and prestige in the field of mechanical engineering. A mechanical engineering degree may be seen as more prestigious because it requires a deeper understanding of theoretical concepts and involves more rigorous coursework. However, a mechanical engineering technology degree is also highly valued as it prepares students for practical work in the industry.

5. Can someone with a mechanical engineering technology degree pursue a higher education degree in mechanical engineering?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a mechanical engineering technology degree to pursue a higher education degree in mechanical engineering. However, they may need to complete additional coursework in advanced mathematics and engineering principles to meet the requirements for a mechanical engineering program. Some universities also offer bridge programs specifically designed for students with a technology degree to transition into a mechanical engineering degree program.