Who are some notable exceptions in your list?

• Thread starter jduster
  • Start date
In summary, according to the factors of administrative skill, domestic policy, foreign policy, and moral character, the best-worst presidents are: Best: Lincoln, Washington, T.Roosevelt, F. Roosevelt, Truman Favorable: Kennedy, Reagan, Adams Sr., Polk, Monroe, Eisenhower, Clinton Mixed: LJohnson, McKinley, Ford, Adams Jr., Nixon, Coolidge, Bush Sr., Jefferson, Arthur, Cleveland Negative: Hayes, Wilson, Hoover, Carter, Tyler, Harrison, Madison, Filmore, Grant Worst: Jackson, Van Buren, A.Johnson, Buchanan, Pierce, Harding Some exceptions to these rankings include Wilson and Jackson, who are generally ranked
jduster
In your opinion, who were the best-worst presidents?

I consider the following factors:
1. I [try to] make sure I am as fair and non-partisan as possible.
2. I grade on: administrative skill, domestic policy, foreign policy, and moral character.
3. I consider that each leader is dealt a different hand, and try to judge them on a fair standard.

Here is my list (excluding Bush Jr., Obama, Taylor, Garfield, Harrison).

Best: Lincoln, Washington, T.Roosevelt, F. Roosevelt, Truman

Lincoln, not only morally, but in terms of leadership through the nations' most difficult crisis, united the nation. Washington, through his humility, proved to critics that government could handle power without becoming corrupt. Theodore Roosevelt set the roadmap for the 20th century with domestic programs and a strong national defense. Franklin Roosevelt led the nation through its toughest times, defeating tyranny abroad. Truman ended WW2 and set the U.S. on a strong footing to contain communism.

Favorable: Kennedy, Reagan, Adams Sr., Polk, Monroe, Eisenhower, Clinton
Kennedy was a bold reformer who challenged the Soviet Union. Reagan restored confidence in the presidency and helped bring an end to the Cold War. Adams skillfully handled a naval conflict with France. Polk acheived all of his promises (including giving this country the West). Monroe's doctrine set the roadmap for the future of this country's foreign policy with Latin America. Eisenhower, despite being passive, managed the country well overall. Clinton, while he made many mistakes, also demonstrated great political skill and interpersonal skill.

Mixed: LJohnson, McKinley, Ford, Adams Jr., Nixon, Coolidge, Bush Sr., Jefferson, Arthur, Cleveland
Johnson's failure in Vietnam was checkered by his peerless legislative skills to pass Civil Rights. McKinley, often underrated, made the U.S. a global power. Ford, a great political expense, did what he thought was best for the country by pardoning his predecessor. Adams Jr., while poorly relating with Congress, was ahead of his time in domestic ideas. Nixon, while very corrupt, was an excellent diplomat and politically gifted. Coolidge, by his own standards did exactly what he was supposed to do: nothing. Bush Sr., while displaying many good leadership qualities, made a big mistake by reconfirming Saddam. Jefferson, is overrated. He weakened our national defense so much, it endangered our country's existence in 1812. His embargoes caused a national depression, as well. Arthur was a bold reformer who fixed government corruption at cost of re-election, but still, largely a forgettable do-nothing.

Negative: Hayes, Wilson, Hoover, Carter, Tyler, Harrison, Madison, Filmore, Grant
Hayes betrayed his black voters by ending the Reconstruction, in exchange, for political opponents not contesting the presidential election he wasn't supposed to win. Wilson tolerated segregation in the government, made a promise of nuetrality, then left the U.S. unprepared for when it did happen to enter the war and his lack of compromise ended his 2nd term in failure. Hoover, while compassionate and intelligent, in his stubborness worsened the depression by starting a trade war. Carter weakened the nation's defense, allowing the Soviet Union to gain a major advantage in the Cold War. Tyler betrayed his promises by vetoing his own parties national bank legislation. Harrison was a do-nothing. Madison entered the U.S. in a costly war that nearly destroyed the country, that was not necessary. Filmore, while trying to compromise, only delayed the inevitable rather than working on a real solution. Grant, while a skilled general, tolerated repeatedly scandal after scandal.

Worst: Jackson, Van Buren, A.Johnson, Buchanan, Pierce, Harding
Jackson created an economic depression, genocide against Indians and a model for corruption. Van Buren, without any of Jackson's redeeming qualities, continued it. Johnson's refusal to sign the Reconstruction acts impeded civil rights in the south for 100 more years. Buchanan and Pierce did [literally] nothing as the Civil War was looming. Harding, faced with no national crises, escaped his duties as president to play poker and philander with women. Imagine Harding handling a Civil War.

Your thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
jduster said:
Here is my list (excluding Bush Jr., Obama, Taylor, Garfield, Harrison).Your thoughts?

Your rankings generally seem to follow the rankings of many historians. There are some notable exceptions, although I agree with some of your exceptions for what it's worth. These include Wilson and Jackson who most historians rank higher, and Nixon, ranked lower by many historians.

I don't agree with your ranking of Coolidge and JQ Adams (too high) or Jefferson (too low). If nothing else, Jefferson initiated the Louisiana Purchase and appropriately increased executive powers (IMO) despite his prior record of being opposed to this. I would also rate Bush Sr a bit higher. I agree with the way he handled the Persian Gulf War. We saw what happened with his son's 'regime change'. James Baker was one of the best Secretaries of State ever IMO.
Here's historian Aurthur Schlesinger's list:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/choice2004/leadership//schlesinger.html

Last edited:

What criteria are used to determine the best and worst U.S. Presidents?

The criteria used to determine the best and worst U.S. Presidents can vary, but some common factors include their leadership abilities, impact on the country, handling of major events or crises, and overall effectiveness in achieving their goals and fulfilling their duties as President.

Who is considered the best U.S. President and why?

The answer to this question is subjective and can vary depending on personal opinions and interpretations. However, some of the most commonly mentioned best U.S. Presidents include George Washington for his leadership during the American Revolution and establishment of the country, Abraham Lincoln for his efforts in ending slavery and preserving the union, and Franklin D. Roosevelt for his leadership during the Great Depression and World War II.

Who is considered the worst U.S. President and why?

Similar to the previous question, the answer to this question is also subjective. Some of the commonly mentioned worst U.S. Presidents include James Buchanan for his inability to prevent the Civil War and his lack of action against slavery, Andrew Johnson for his failed Reconstruction policies, and Richard Nixon for the Watergate scandal and his resignation from office.

Has a President's ranking changed over time?

Yes, a President's ranking can change over time as new information and perspectives are gained. Some Presidents who were initially seen as successful and effective, may be reevaluated and ranked lower due to revelations about their personal or political actions. Similarly, some Presidents who were initially seen as failures or ineffective may be reevaluated and ranked higher as new information and perspectives are gained.

How does a President's popularity during their time in office affect their ranking?

A President's popularity during their time in office can have an impact on their ranking, but it is not the only factor that is considered. Some Presidents who were highly popular during their time in office may be ranked lower due to negative long-term consequences of their policies or actions, while some unpopular Presidents may be ranked higher for their long-term positive impacts on the country.