Solving for Euler angles and 3-D coordinate Rotations.

In summary: In fact, I can't seem to find any information on how to calculate z' from the other vectors. In summary, you need to find the unit vectors x', y', z' for every point on your irregular surface, in terms of x, y, z, and then project your vector field v onto these unit vectors by taking the dot product between v and x', y', z', both of which are given in terms of x,y,z, to obtain those coefficients of v in terms of x',y',z'.
vtm6001
Hi,

(attachment with visuals is included)

I have a 3-D vector dataset that is measured in a reference frame (measurement reference frame) that is oriented relative to a horizontal coordinate system. In this dataset I have x-y- and z-component data for the vectors relative to a coordinate system on a flat surface (+ve x is to the right, +ve y is to the top, and +ve z is toward the screen/you).

I have an irregular surface, for which I have calculated slope in the x- and y- directions (sign (+/-) follows the right hand rule). The slopes are therefore measured in the x-z and y-z planes. Slopes usually range between -45 to 45 degrees.

I want to solve for the x'-, y'- and z'- component data for the vectors (which remain fixed) in a reference frame where the z component is normal to the irregular surface (and not in the measurement reference frame).

I've been crunching the 2-D examples from my texts, but something does not seem right when I put them together. On the other hand, I know 3-D rotations involve having the Euler angles as an input, but I have no clue how to obtain them using the data I have that characterizes the surface (x- and y- component slopes relative to the measurement reference frame). I also know that the order of the rotations affect the outcome and have no idea how to approach this part of the problem either.

Anyone willing to pitch in? Let me know if I haven't explained the problem clearly.

See attached for the pdf with images showing a) the irregular surface, b) x-slope from irregular surface, c) y-slope from irregular surface and d) vector field on that surface. Note that vector magnitudes and directions remain the same in the measured and rotated reference frames, but it's their components that change in the rotated frame (x', y' and z').

Attachments

• Visuals.pdf
    343.4 KB · Views: 252
Physics news on Phys.org
first off, you figure out the unit vectors x', y', z' for every point on your irregular surface, in terms of x, y, z, then project your vector field v onto these unit vectors by taking the dot product between v and x', y', z', both of which are given in terms of x,y,z, to obtain those coefficients of v in terms of x',y',z'

sunjin09 said:
first off, you figure out the unit vectors x', y', z' for every point on your irregular surface, in terms of x, y, z, then project your vector field v onto these unit vectors by taking the dot product between v and x', y', z', both of which are given in terms of x,y,z, to obtain those coefficients of v in terms of x',y',z'

I attempted something like that, which looks like this (i/i', j/j' and k/k' have hats over them):

x' = r.i' = x(i.i') + y(j.i') + z(k.i')

y' = r.j' = x(i.j') + y(j.j') + z(k.j')

z' = r.k' = x(i.k') + y(j.k') + z(k.k')

For z' however, I do not know the angles to use between the i-k', j-k' and k'k' vector components.

1. What are Euler angles and why are they important in 3-D coordinate rotations?

Euler angles are a set of three angles that represent the orientation of a rigid body in a three-dimensional space. They are important in 3-D coordinate rotations because they provide a way to describe the orientation of an object relative to a fixed reference frame.

2. How do you solve for Euler angles in a given coordinate system?

To solve for Euler angles, you will need to use a sequence of rotations around the three axes of a coordinate system. The order of these rotations will depend on the specific convention used for Euler angles, such as the Tait-Bryan or the proper Euler angles. Once the rotations are performed, the resulting angles will be the Euler angles for that specific coordinate system.

3. Can Euler angles be used to represent any orientation in 3-D space?

No, Euler angles have limitations and cannot represent all possible orientations in 3-D space. This is known as the Gimbal lock problem, which occurs when one of the rotation axes becomes parallel to another, resulting in a loss of one degree of freedom. As a result, other methods such as quaternions are often used to avoid this issue.

4. Is there a difference between extrinsic and intrinsic rotations when solving for Euler angles?

Yes, there is a difference between extrinsic and intrinsic rotations. Extrinsic rotations refer to rotations around the fixed axes of a reference frame, while intrinsic rotations refer to rotations around the moving axes of an object. The order of rotations will differ depending on whether extrinsic or intrinsic angles are used.

5. What are some practical applications of solving for Euler angles and 3-D coordinate rotations?

Euler angles and 3-D coordinate rotations have many practical applications, such as in computer graphics, robotics, and aerospace engineering. They are also used in navigation systems, motion capture technology, and in the study of crystallography and molecular structure. Additionally, they are important in understanding the motion and orientation of objects in physics and mechanics.