What is the Expectation Value of (X'*X)^-1 in MATLAB for Signal Constellations?

In summary, the "Expectation value" in Matlab is a statistical measure that represents the average value of a random variable, calculated using the "mean" or "sum" function. It can be calculated for non-numerical data, but may not always be meaningful. The expectation value is useful in data analysis for summarizing data, comparing datasets, and identifying outliers. However, it cannot be used to make predictions about future data. Other statistical methods should be used for this purpose.
florenti
Hi,

as I am new in Matlab, so I need your help.

I want to replace the following inverse matrix (X'*X)^-1 with its expectation value:

E{(X'*X)^-1} = E{|1/Xk|^2}I

X'*X and (X'*X)^-1 is a diagonal matrix. Could anyone give me an Idea how to write it in MATLAB this expectation value. The elements of a matrix X are composed by QPSK symbols, or 16-QAM, or 64-QAM. Assume for now QPSK.

Assuming the same
signal constellation on all tones and equal probability on all constellation points.

Thanks in advande.

Physics news on Phys.org
Still no help...

1. What is the "Expectation value" in Matlab?

The "Expectation value" in Matlab is a statistical measure that represents the average value of a random variable, based on its probability distribution. It is also known as the mean or the first moment of the distribution.

2. How is the expectation value calculated in Matlab?

The expectation value in Matlab is calculated using the "mean" function, which takes in a vector or matrix of values and returns the average value. It can also be calculated using the "sum" function, where the sum of the values is divided by the total number of values.

3. Can the expectation value be calculated for non-numerical data in Matlab?

Yes, the expectation value can be calculated for non-numerical data in Matlab. The "mean" function can handle different types of data, including strings and logical values. However, it may not always be meaningful to calculate the expectation value for non-numerical data.

4. What is the significance of the expectation value in data analysis?

The expectation value is a useful measure in data analysis as it provides a summary of the data and can be used to compare different datasets. It can also serve as a baseline for further statistical analysis and can help identify outliers or unusual patterns in the data.

5. Can the expectation value be used to make predictions about future data in Matlab?

No, the expectation value cannot be used to make predictions about future data in Matlab. It is a descriptive statistic that summarizes past data and does not take into account any external factors or changes in the underlying distribution. Predictions should be made using other statistical methods, such as regression analysis or time series forecasting.