Axial Flux PMG Testing for 100W Wind Turbine - William

In summary: Keep up the great work! In summary, William has completed an axial flux permanent magnet DC generator and is now looking for a way to determine its power output at different rpms. He has already tested the open circuit voltage and short circuit current, but is aware that simply multiplying these values will not give an accurate estimation of power. He is considering using a variable resistor or dynamometer to measure the power output, and is seeking advice on what type of load to use.
W R-P
Hey everyone.
I've been working on a axial flux permanent magnet DC generator to use on a 100W wind turbine(small I know), to charge 12v batteries in low wind speed areas. Now that it's complete, I'd like to determine the full power curve at different rpms.
So far I've been running it on NO LOAD,using a lathe machine as a prime mover. My results from this were the open circuit voltage and the short circuit current at various rpms- up to about 500rpm. i doubt multiplying the two readings will give me a TRUE value of the power I should expect.
I then tried using a dc bulb as a load, but the only available ones are 9w at 12vdc. If my voltage goes way above 12..it will blow,so that test won't go on for long. No power transducer available either..
My question is is there any simple experiment I can carry out to determine the power output, and what kind of load should i use?

some helpful data
STATOR
1.4mm wire
80 turns
6 coils
star connection, passed on to two block rectifiers
Any input would be appreciated.
William

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello William,

Congratulations on completing your axial flux permanent magnet DC generator! It sounds like you have already made some great progress in determining the open circuit voltage and short circuit current at various rpms. However, as you mentioned, simply multiplying these two values will not give you an accurate estimation of the power output.

One simple experiment you can carry out to determine the power output is to use a variable resistor as a load. This will allow you to adjust the resistance and measure the corresponding voltage and current. By plotting these values on a graph and calculating the power using the equation P = VI, you can determine the power output at different rpms.

Another option is to use a dynamometer, which is a device used to measure torque and rotational speed. By measuring the torque and rpm of your generator, you can calculate the mechanical power output using the equation P = 2πNT, where N is the rotational speed and T is the torque. From there, you can use the efficiency of your generator (which can be determined through calibration tests) to estimate the electrical power output.

In terms of the type of load to use, it would be best to use a resistive load such as a heating element or a variable resistor. This will provide a consistent and predictable load for your generator. It is important to make sure that the load can handle the voltage and current levels of your generator to prevent damage.

I hope this helps and good luck with your experiments! Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or need more guidance.

1. What is axial flux PMG testing?

Axial flux permanent magnet generator (PMG) testing is a process used to evaluate the performance and efficiency of a 100W wind turbine. This type of testing involves measuring the electrical output of the generator under various load conditions to ensure that it is functioning properly.

2. Why is axial flux PMG testing important for a 100W wind turbine?

Axial flux PMG testing is important for a 100W wind turbine because it allows for the identification of any potential issues or inefficiencies in the generator. This ensures that the turbine is operating at its optimal level and can generate the maximum amount of energy from the wind.

3. How is axial flux PMG testing performed?

Axial flux PMG testing is typically performed by connecting the generator to a load bank, which simulates the electrical load that the turbine would experience in real-world conditions. The output of the generator is then measured and compared to the expected values. This process is repeated at different load levels to assess the performance of the generator.

4. What are the benefits of axial flux PMG testing?

There are several benefits of axial flux PMG testing for a 100W wind turbine. It allows for the detection of any potential issues or inefficiencies in the generator, which can be addressed before they become larger problems. This can help to improve the overall performance and efficiency of the turbine, leading to increased energy production and cost savings.

5. How often should axial flux PMG testing be performed?

The frequency of axial flux PMG testing for a 100W wind turbine will depend on several factors, such as the manufacturer's recommendations and the operating conditions of the turbine. In general, it is recommended to perform this type of testing at least once a year to ensure that the generator is functioning properly and to identify any potential issues early on.