Triangle problem using vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the area of a triangle formed by two given vectors. The solution involves using the formula A=1/2bh and finding the magnitude and angle between the vectors. The concept of unit vectors and cross product is also mentioned.
Dx
[SOLVED] triangle problem using vectors

Hi!
question: Two sides of a triangle are formed by vectors i - 4j-k and -2i - j+k. The area is ?

A=1/2bh so I know to multiply the two vectors as such 1/2(vector1 x vector2) But what do I substitute foe i, j and k? Its not given in the problem.
so far...
1/2(-2i^2-ij+ik+8ji+4j^2-4jk+2ki+kj-k^2)
so what do I substitute foe i, j and k?
Dx :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
You shouldn't concern yourself with i's and j's for an area problem. A= (1/2)(|v_1|)(|v_2|)sinO. So find the magnitudes of the vectors and find the angle between them.

How in the world could you be doing a problem like this if you don't know what i,j, i are?

It's not a matter of "what to substitute for i, j, k". They are not numbers. i is the unit vector in the x direction, j is the unit vector in the y direction, k is the unit vector in the z direction.

Also, you do not multiply vectors the way you seem to be trying.

Here, "u x v" is the cross product. It can be defined as "the vector whose length is |u||v|sin(theta) (where theta is the angle between the two vectors) and whose direction is perpendicular to both u and v in the "right hand rule" sense.

It can also be calculated as a determinant:

| i j k|
| 1 -4 -1|
|-2 -1 1|
which equals i((-4)(1)-(-1)(-1))- j(1(1)-(-1)(-2)+ k(1(-1)-(-2)(-4))
or -5i+ j- 9 k. It's length is [sqrt](25+ 1+ 91)= [sqrt](117)
Half of that is the area of the triangle.

1. What is a triangle problem using vectors?

A triangle problem using vectors is a mathematical problem that involves finding the unknown sides or angles of a triangle using vector operations. This can involve using the properties of vectors, such as magnitude and direction, to solve for the missing values.

2. How do you solve a triangle problem using vectors?

To solve a triangle problem using vectors, you can use a variety of methods such as the Law of Cosines, Law of Sines, or vector addition and subtraction. These methods involve using the given information, such as the lengths of sides and angles, to create and solve equations for the unknown values.

3. What are the advantages of using vectors to solve a triangle problem?

Using vectors can provide a more efficient and elegant way of solving triangle problems compared to traditional geometry methods. Vectors also allow for the use of mathematical concepts, such as dot products and cross products, which can provide more precise and accurate solutions.

4. Can you use vectors to solve any type of triangle problem?

Yes, vectors can be used to solve any type of triangle problem as long as there is enough information given to create equations for the unknown values. However, some problems may be easier to solve using other methods, so it is important to choose the most appropriate approach.

5. Are there any real-world applications of solving triangle problems using vectors?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of solving triangle problems using vectors. For example, vectors are used in physics to calculate forces and velocities in a system, and in engineering to design structures and determine stresses and strains. Vectors are also used in navigation and mapping to determine distances and angles between points.