Proof to find fraction inbetween to fraction

In summary, the algebraic method of finding a fraction between two other fractions involves converting both fractions to percentages, finding the average, and then converting back to a fraction. The proof behind this method involves using algebraic manipulations to show that the value obtained is indeed between the two fractions. However, this method may not always give the exact average of the two fractions. The fraction obtained is called the mediant and does not always preserve order.
Taylor_1989
I keep getting slightly confused with the algebraic method of finding a fraction between, two other fraction. Here is an example question, I have been doing

Find the fraction between 13/15 and 14/15? I personally convert both to percentages and find the average between the two, the convert back to a fraction. So in this case I did:

13/15 = 0.8666666 = 87%
14/15 = 0.933333 = 93%
87+93 = 180/2= 90
90/100 = 9/10: which I believe is correct

The method I do not understand is the proof behind this method: 13/15+14/15 = 27/30 / 3 top and bottom you get 9/10. But its the proof that confuse me. I will show where I get confused:

I understand this part: a/b < c/d cross multiply ad < bc

This is the part I don't understand: Add ab to both sides ab+ad < ab+bc

why add ab to both sides, where dose this come from?

then factor : a(b+d)<b(a+c)⇒ a/b < a+c/a+b

Then you add cd to both sides, once again why? then you factor out again.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Think of it this way:

You start with 13/15 and 14/15

13/15 is equal to 26/30
and
14/15 is equal to 28/30

This is done by a simple multiplication of two on both the numerator and the denominator.

Looking at your new fractions, it is obvious that 27/30 is in between the two of them, and 27/30 simplifies to 9/10

Taylor_1989 said:
This is the part I don't understand: Add ab to both sides ab+ad < ab+bc

why add ab to both sides, where dose this come from?
Because it works. Notice in the next line the factoring worked out such that we can get a/b on its own on the left side.

then factor : a(b+d)<b(a+c)⇒ a/b < a+c/a+b
Just a typo but it should be a/b < (a+c)/(b+d)

Then you add cd to both sides, once again why? then you factor out again.
I guess when you say you add cd to both sides you're talking about

[tex]ad<bc[/tex]

[tex]cd+ad<cd+bc[/tex]

[tex]d(a+c)<c(b+d)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a+c}{b+d}<\frac{c}{d}[/tex]

Which again work exactly the way we want it to. We've now just shown that [tex]\frac{a}{b}<\frac{a+c}{b+d}<\frac{c}{d}[/tex]

By using algebraic manipulations that were cleverly used to give us the answer we were looking for.
But keep in mind that this value [tex]x=\frac{a+c}{b+d}[/tex] is not always exactly in the middle of a/b and c/d. When b and d are different, it doesn't turn out to be the average of the two fractions.

If you wanted the average of a/b and c/d as your in-between fraction, then you'd have

[tex]x=\frac{\frac{a}{b}+\frac{c}{d}}{2}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{ad+bc}{2bd}[/tex]

Which is a lot more calculations than the value of x obtained from the proof above.

Trivia: the fraction ##\frac{a+c}{b+d}## is called the mediant of ##\frac{a}{b}## and ##\frac{c}{d}##.

Further the mediant does not preserve order. Suppose that ##\frac{a}{b} < \frac{A}{B}## and ##\frac{c}{d} < \frac{C}{D}##, but it is possible to have ##\frac{a+c}{b+d} > \frac{A+C}{B+D}##. This is known as Simpson's paradox.

First of all, it is important to note that there are multiple ways to find a fraction between two other fractions. The method you are using, which involves converting to percentages and finding the average, is a valid approach. However, there is also a more algebraic method, which is what the question is asking for.

The proof you are referring to is based on the concept of comparing fractions using cross multiplication. This concept states that if a/b < c/d, then ad < bc. This is because when we cross multiply, we are essentially comparing the same number (a) to two different numbers (bc and ad) and seeing which one is larger.

Now, let's apply this concept to the fractions 13/15 and 14/15. We can rewrite these fractions as 13/15 = 13/15 and 14/15 = 14/15. Since 13/15 < 14/15, we can use cross multiplication to compare the fractions. This gives us 13*15 < 14*15, which simplifies to 195 < 210. We can then divide both sides by 15 to get 13 < 14, which we already know is true.

To find a fraction between 13/15 and 14/15, we need to find a fraction that is greater than 13/15 and less than 14/15. This means that we need to find a fraction that is greater than 13/15 and has a smaller denominator, or less than 14/15 and has a larger denominator.

This is where the proof you mentioned comes in. We can add ab to both sides of the inequality ad < bc. This gives us ad + ab < bc + ab. Now, we can factor out a from the left side and b from the right side, giving us a(d + b) < b(a + c). We can then divide both sides by b(d + b) to get a/b < (a + c)/(b + d).

In simpler terms, by adding ab to both sides, we are essentially finding a common denominator for the fractions ad and bc. This allows us to compare the fractions more easily and find a fraction between them.

Similarly, by adding cd to both sides and factoring, we are finding a common denominator for the fractions ad and bc, but in this case, the denominator is larger than both a and b. This allows us to find a fraction

1. What is a fraction?

A fraction is a number that represents a part of a whole. It is written in the form of a numerator (the number on top) and a denominator (the number on the bottom) separated by a horizontal line. For example, in the fraction 3/4, 3 is the numerator and 4 is the denominator.

2. How do you find a fraction in between two given fractions?

To find a fraction in between two given fractions, we first need to find a common denominator. This can be done by finding the least common multiple (LCM) of the two denominators. Then, we can compare the numerators and place the new fraction in between them. For example, to find a fraction in between 1/3 and 1/2, we find the LCM of 3 and 2, which is 6. Then, we compare 1/3 and 1/2 and place the new fraction, 5/6, in between them.

3. What is the importance of finding a fraction in between two fractions?

Finding a fraction in between two fractions is important because it allows us to accurately represent values that fall in between the two fractions. It also helps us to compare and order fractions, which is essential in many mathematical operations.

4. Can you use the same method to find a fraction in between two mixed numbers?

Yes, the same method can be used to find a fraction in between two mixed numbers. First, we need to convert the mixed numbers into improper fractions, find a common denominator, and then compare and place the new fraction in between them.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to finding a fraction in between two fractions?

There are a few shortcuts or tricks that can be used to find a fraction in between two fractions. One method is to add the two fractions and then divide the sum by 2. Another method is to multiply the two denominators and then find the square root of the product. These methods may not always work, but they can be useful in certain situations.