How Do You Solve a Nonhomogeneous Second-Order Differential Equation?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a nonhomogenous ODE using the method of Lagrange. The equation given is m[d^2x/dt^2 + wsubo^2 x] = F cos wt, and the goal is to show that x(t) = xsubo cos wt. The variables used are w for the incident frequency, wsubo for the resonant frequency, and m for mass. The individual is asking for help with finding ysubp, which can be obtained by solving the homogenous equation and using the method of Lagrange.
Stu165
Can anyone give me a hand with this, cause I'm stumped and can't remember exactly how to go about solving this.

here's the eqn

m[d^2x/dt^2 + wsubo^2 x] = F cos wt

I'm supposed to show that x(t) = xsubo cos wt

w is the incident freq
wsubo is the resonant freq
m is mass

I'm stuck with the part of getting out ysubp, at least that's what I think I should do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can u solve the homogenous equation...?If so,then u can use the method of Lagrange to find a particular solution of the nonhomogenous ODE.

Daniel.

Sure, I can give you a hand with this. The equation you have is a second-order nonhomogeneous differential equation, meaning that it involves a second derivative of the dependent variable (x) and has a non-zero right-hand side (F cos wt). To solve this type of equation, we use the method of undetermined coefficients.

First, we need to find the complementary solution, which is the solution to the homogeneous equation (without the right-hand side). In this case, the homogeneous equation is m(d^2x/dt^2 + wsubo^2 x) = 0. The solution to this equation is given by x(t) = A cos(wsubo t) + B sin(wsubo t), where A and B are arbitrary constants.

Next, we need to find the particular solution, which is a specific solution that satisfies the nonhomogeneous equation. In this case, we can assume that the particular solution has the form x(t) = Asin(wt) + Bcos(wt), where A and B are again arbitrary constants. This is because the right-hand side of the equation is a cosine function, and our complementary solution already contains a cosine function.

Plugging this particular solution into the original equation, we get:

m(d^2/dt^2 + wsubo^2)(Asin(wt) + Bcos(wt)) = F cos wt

Expanding and simplifying, we get:

-mAw^2sin(wt) + mBw^2cos(wt) + mwsubo^2Asin(wt) + mwsubo^2Bcos(wt) = F cos wt

Equating coefficients of like terms, we get:

-mAw^2 + mwsubo^2A = 0 and mBw^2 + mwsubo^2B = F

Solving for A and B, we get:

A = F/(mwsubo^2 - mAw^2) and B = 0

Therefore, the particular solution is x(t) = F/(mwsubo^2 - mAw^2) sin(wt).

Finally, the general solution to the nonhomogeneous equation is given by the sum of the complementary and particular solutions:

x(t) = A cos(wsubo t) + B sin(wsubo t) + F/(mwsubo^2 - mAw^2) sin(wt)

1. What is a second-order nonhomogeneous differential equation?

A second-order nonhomogeneous differential equation is a differential equation that contains a second derivative, along with first derivatives and constants. It is called nonhomogeneous because it contains a function of the independent variable, which is not equal to zero.

2. How is a second-order nonhomogeneous differential equation different from a second-order homogeneous differential equation?

A second-order homogeneous differential equation does not contain a function of the independent variable, and all the terms in the equation have the same degree. In contrast, a second-order nonhomogeneous differential equation has at least one term with a function of the independent variable, which makes it nonhomogeneous.

3. What is the general solution to a second-order nonhomogeneous differential equation?

The general solution to a second-order nonhomogeneous differential equation consists of two parts: the complementary function and the particular integral. The complementary function is the solution to the corresponding homogeneous differential equation, while the particular integral is a specific solution that satisfies the nonhomogeneous part of the equation.

4. How do you solve a second-order nonhomogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients?

To solve a second-order nonhomogeneous differential equation with constant coefficients, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients. This method involves finding a particular integral based on the form of the nonhomogeneous term and then combining it with the complementary function to get the general solution.

5. Can initial conditions be applied to a second-order nonhomogeneous differential equation?

Yes, initial conditions can be applied to a second-order nonhomogeneous differential equation. These initial conditions, such as the value of the dependent variable and its derivative at a specific point, can be used to determine the constants in the general solution and obtain a unique solution to the equation.