Prototyping automobile components

In summary, the conversation discusses creating software simulations for different components of a car and addresses queries about the engine component, gear train, and car body. It is mentioned that an engine's power is determined by fuel consumption and that the maximum torque curve is dependent on RPM. In regards to engaging gears, it is noted that a mismatch in RPM and torque can cause damage or stalling. Additionally, the conversation discusses modeling the clutch and gearbox as sub-systems to account for possible speed mismatches.
kvkskumar
Hi,
I'm creating software based simulations for different components of a car. I've some query regarding this. Also please let me know if what I'm doing is correct or not

1. Engine component

It would take the acceleration request and fuel injection(set at the beginning) and would compute output power accordingly. (power = some factor * fuel * request)

Here my query is if I'm considering that engine is not connected to anything. Its output is a shaft turning at some rpm with some torque. How do I know what torque is it generating and what is the rpm

2. gear train

It is combination of gears that connects to shafts. According to the gear ratio, the output torque and rpm would change.

Here my query is what would happen if the two ends at the time of engaging them are at different rpms or torque (not related by the gear ratio)

3. car body

It takes the input torque from engine via gear and performs motion

Here I'm taking the torque from engine via gear(with gear ratio) and converting it to drive force. I'm subtracting the resistive forces(drag, friction...) and then dividing it with mass to get acceleration

I've read from some forums that drive speed of wheels may be calculated from rpm of shaft from engine via gears.

I'm thinking that, the speed of car would start from zero to increase with the acceleration obtained from engine torque and would go till the max value of drive speed from engine rpm. Am I correct? If I'm correct what would happen if the speed goes beyond drive speed found from the engine rpm using the formula(already have it)

Please remember I need to create each component thinking that are not connected to anything and I cannot depend on numbers from other components for generating torque/power/rpm in engine

Any formulas/references may be helpful

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
Q1 said:
How do I know what torque is it generating and what is the rpm
An engine has a power determined by the rate of fuel consumption. Power = torque * RPM. Because the car has inertia, the motor will have to travel at the road speed, (so long as the tyres grip the road). That sets the engine RPM from which you can imply the torque, from known fuel consumption. An engine has a maximum torque curve that depends on RPM.
Q2 said:
what would happen if the two ends at the time of engaging them are at different rpms or torque (not related by the gear ratio)
It will make a crashing noise as the gears start to mesh. If they mesh it may break a gear, slip a tyre or stall the engine.
Q3 said:
what would happen if the speed goes beyond drive speed found from the engine rpm using the formula(already have it)
An engine can brake as well as accelerate. If you provide insufficient fuel the torque in the engine output will be negative and the engine will absorb power. The RPM to torque curve specifies the maximum, it does not show the negative torque possibilities.

Thanks a ton Baluncore. You've helped me a lot.

Baluncore said:
An engine has a power determined by the rate of fuel consumption. Power = torque * RPM. Because the car has inertia, the motor will have to travel at the road speed, (so long as the tyres grip the road). That sets the engine RPM from which you can imply the torque, from known fuel consumption. An engine has a maximum torque curve that depends on RPM.

So You mean to say that at the time of starting the car(when car is not moving), there will be high torque (and engine shaft will rotate with what rpm ? ). this torque makes the car wheels to move (taking drag and friction into consideration), due to which the shaft connected between car wheels and engine will move at the rpm given by some ratio of wheel radius ( assuming no other gears and transmission systems). When the rpm is increased, beyond a certain limit, the engine would give some noise (how do I know what rpm it is). for eliminating the sound we change the gear. So I need to send the feedback speed of wheels to engine module to find out its rpm?

It will make a crashing noise as the gears start to mesh. If they mesh it may break a gear, slip a tyre or stall the engine.

If I have a gear train with two nodes. you said it might mesh or slip or stall. Is it not possible to make something like an average of the two or something like that?

Please let me know. I'm sorry if I'm bugging you or posting stupid questions. Thanks in advance

Your engine model will have parameters and state variables. Engine RPM is a state variable. It effects many things. You should identify all parameters, state variables and variables needed for your model. The state variables will be needed to communicate between your sub-models as they will fully specify the operation of the system.

When starting, the difference between engine RPM and road speed through the gearbox will be made up by slip in the clutch. If fuel is insufficient to maintain torque required then RPM will fall.

I think the clutch should be modeled as a sub-system. That will allow you to slip the clutch or stall the motor if there is a speed mismatch while changing gear. You can then assume the gearbox is a perfect synchromesh box if the differential speed is less than a certain percentage. If outside that band you should be unable to change gear.

1. What is the purpose of prototyping automobile components?

Prototyping automobile components allows for the testing and refinement of designs before they are mass-produced. It helps to identify any potential issues or flaws in the design, leading to more efficient and cost-effective production processes.

2. What materials are typically used in prototyping automobile components?

Common materials used in prototyping automobile components include plastic, metal, and composites. The specific material chosen will depend on the function and characteristics of the component being prototyped.

3. How long does the prototyping process usually take?

The timeline for prototyping automobile components can vary depending on the complexity of the design and the chosen materials. However, it typically takes anywhere from a few weeks to a few months to complete the prototyping process.

4. Can prototyping reduce the overall cost of production?

Yes, prototyping can help to reduce the overall cost of production by identifying and addressing any design flaws or issues before mass production begins. This can save both time and money in the long run.

5. Are there different types of prototyping techniques for automobile components?

Yes, there are various prototyping techniques for automobile components, including 3D printing, CNC machining, and vacuum casting. The chosen technique will depend on the specific requirements and goals of the project.