Undergraduate Student Ideas: New Discovery or Rediscovery?

• Thread starter werty
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea
In summary, the speaker has come up with an idea that they believe may be worth publishing in arxiv. They are unsure whether to speak to a doctor at their school about the idea or pursue it themselves. The speaker is also concerned about someone else taking credit for their idea and wants to get it published themselves. They have been doing research on the subject and believe their idea could have a positive impact on their future. The listener suggests writing up the idea to clarify it and potentially lead to further discoveries, finding someone to critique it, and conducting a literature search.
werty
In following up one of my idiot ideas that usually turnout to be absolotley stupid, I may have discovered, or rediscovered, an actuall result that I think might be worth publishing in arxiv. Since I am only a undergraduate student I am wondering what I should do. Should I talk to a doctor at my school about my idea or should I pursue it myself, wright an article and try to get it published?

Actually I am pretty sure that this hasnt been published yet since it has to do with my graduation-exam, where I've been reading the latest articles about the subject. If I have found something, I don't want someone else to take credit for it or publish it and only mention me etc. If I could get it published myself it could do good things for my future.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write it up.
It'll help clarify what you have found... and maybe lead to more.
You should find someone you trust to critique it.
Do a literature search.

my $0.02

As an undergraduate student, it is natural to have innovative and ambitious ideas. It is commendable that you have taken the initiative to follow up on your idea and potentially make a discovery or rediscovery. However, before taking any further steps, it is important to evaluate the validity and potential impact of your idea.

Firstly, it is important to thoroughly research and review existing literature on the subject to ensure that your idea is not already published. You mentioned that you have been reading the latest articles on the subject for your graduation exam, but it would be beneficial to also consult with a professor or a mentor who specializes in the field to get their expert opinion.

If your idea is indeed new and has the potential to contribute to the scientific community, then it would be appropriate to share it with a doctor or professor at your school. They can provide valuable feedback and guidance on how to further develop your idea and potentially publish it. It is also important to collaborate with experienced researchers to ensure that your research is conducted ethically and accurately.

Alternatively, you can also pursue publishing the idea yourself. However, it is important to note that publishing in arXiv does not necessarily guarantee recognition or impact in the scientific community. It would be beneficial to seek guidance from a professor or mentor on how to properly structure and write the article.

In any case, it is important to properly credit your sources and contributions in any publication. If your idea is indeed a new discovery, it is important to establish its priority and make sure that you are given proper credit.

In conclusion, it is commendable that you are considering publishing your idea and potentially making a discovery or rediscovery. However, it is important to seek guidance and collaborate with experienced researchers to ensure the validity and impact of your idea. Good luck with your future endeavors.

What is the significance of undergraduate student ideas in new discoveries or rediscoveries?

Undergraduate student ideas can greatly contribute to new discoveries or rediscoveries in science. These students often have fresh perspectives and are not restricted by traditional ways of thinking, allowing them to come up with innovative ideas and approaches.

How can undergraduate students get involved in new discovery or rediscovery projects?

Undergraduate students can get involved in new discovery or rediscovery projects by participating in research programs, internships, or independent studies. They can also collaborate with faculty members or graduate students on ongoing projects.

What are some examples of groundbreaking discoveries made by undergraduate students?

There are many examples of groundbreaking discoveries made by undergraduate students. For instance, the identification of the first exoplanet by an undergraduate student in 1995, the discovery of a new species of bacteria by undergraduate students in 2014, and the development of a low-cost water filtration system by undergraduate students in 2019.

How do undergraduate student ideas contribute to the scientific community?

Undergraduate student ideas contribute to the scientific community by expanding the scope of research and bringing new perspectives to existing knowledge. They also help in the development of new technologies and methodologies, leading to advancements in various fields of science.

What are some challenges faced by undergraduate students in pursuing new discovery or rediscovery projects?

Some challenges faced by undergraduate students in pursuing new discovery or rediscovery projects include limited resources, lack of experience, and time constraints due to academic commitments. They may also face difficulties in securing funding or finding a mentor for their project.