Insert image link missing in the Linear and Abstract algebra forum

• Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
In summary, it seems the Linear and Abstract Algebra forum does not allow inline images, which is a pity as the feature would be more convenient and helpful for posters.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I noticed on doing a recent post that the Insert Image link was missing in the Linear and Abstract Algebra forum.

This is a pity as the facility allows a clear insertion of text from textbooks

Can someone please help me understand why this feature is missing?

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
The facility is not missing, image links can be inserted. The reason it is not easier to do is people would post many blurry hand written and textbook pages that are hard to read. It is much better in most cases for the poster to type out the question.

Likes 1 person
Yes, OK ... but then it is probably a responsibility of those doing posts to ensure their posts are easy to read ... and, indeed, they are much more likely to get an answer if the post is clear and easy to read.

Peter

Use [ img][/PLAIN] tags around the image url, if you do want images in the post.

Likes 1 person
Thanks Enigman ... appreciate your help ...

I did this in my recent post to the Linear and Abstract Algebra forum ( see https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=751892 )

However only a link appears in the post ... which I suppose is OK, but I was hoping to have a displayed image

When I do similar posts in Math Help Boards the images display conveniently in the post and generally fit to the reading panel ... I wish one could do the same in the Physics forums

Thanks again,

Peter

EDIT - I used capitals as in address ... I do not suppose that matters?

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a bug.

Thanks Enigman ...

Who should we report this matter to?

Peter

I tried it myself and indeed, inline images appear to be blocked in that forum. I'll flag this for Greg's attention. Thanks for pointing it out!

Likes 1 person
Thanks ... Hope it can be remedied soon ... Potentially it is a very useful feature ... If used carefully and well ... And as I have said before, that is in the interest of the person doing the post, given he/she hopes for a response ...

Peter

attachment.php?attachmentid=69351&stc=1&d=1399080841.jpg

Note that if the image is too large - and this one is - it breaks the forum formatting.

Plus, people tend to post images because they are too lazy to type or too lazy to use LaTeX. They are even often too lazy to post the image correctly, so you have to lie on your side and stand on the head to read the picture. Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words, sometimes it is not.

Likes 1 person
Thanks Borek ... well that explains the situation ...

It is a pity the image is too large re the forum rules, because it is quite clear and it explains the context of my question clearly as well ... it reads quite clearly in your post above ...

Would you consider lifting the limit a bit ... so as to allow such images ... given that the image I tried to post can be clearly read in your post?

Hope you will give this request some consideration ...

Thanks

Peter

EDIT - the image is part of a post on Math Help Boards and reads quite clearly and fits into the reading panel quite OK

See http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/direct-products-modules-bland-proposition-2-1-1-its-proof-10406.html

Math Amateur, you've given a great argument as to why this is more convenient for the poster.

Given the fact that there is one poster, and many readers, and you're asking the readers for help, doesn't it make sense to make it convenient for the reader?

Likes 1 person
Borek said:
so you have to lie on your side and stand on the head to read the picture.

:rofl:

I agree completely.

Likes 1 person
Hi Vanadium 50,

Thanks for the input to this issue.

Definitely a post should be convenient for the reader, including giving a clear account of the background and context of the question. A good and clear and informative communication is in the best interest of both posters and readers. Naturally, I do not expect readers to have to "lie on (your) their side and stand on the head to read the picture" ... if the post is careless in this way, I do not expect readers to bother to read/answer ...

In my posts, I try to state the question clearly, but also to give the reader (in a fashion that is physically easy and clear to read) a clear background as well as the context to the question ...

So basically I am in favour of clear communication, that is all.

Please have a look at my post at http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/direct-products-modules-bland-proposition-2-1-1-its-proof-10406.html

I think the post is clear and easy to read and gives the reader a clear picture of not only the question, but the context and background. The post is all the right way up, all of the post, including the scanned image fits within the reading panel, and all of the post is legible and easy to read.

I am not at all in favour of posts that unclear and difficult to read ... indeed, I suspect they will reap their own reward as readers will avoid them ...

Peter

This was a simple setting problem. I can't believe in like 10 years no one has brought this up lol. Images are now working.

Thanks Greg, I really appreciate your help in this matter.

Thanks to other respondents for their input

Peter

Math Amateur said:
It is a pity the image is too large re the forum rules, because it is quite clear and it explains the context of my question clearly as well ... it reads quite clearly in your post above ...

I think it still reads clearly after resizing to 800 pixels wide. I used Photoshop, but surely there is a lot of free software that can do this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=69368&stc=1&d=1399131569.gif

Attachments

• resized.gif
    resized.gif
    54.5 KB · Views: 551
Likes 1 person
Thanks jtbell ... really good point ... I wish that the "insert image" routine of the PF site would resize the image to fir the panel ... but I am not sure if that is possible (but I note that on the Math Help Boards site that is what seems to happen ..

It is certainly an important consideration as one does not really want posts with images that are wider than the screen-sized reading panel ...

Thanks again for your informative post ...

Peter

One of my pet peeves in these forums is posters who post an image of a problem in one link and another image of their handwritten solution in another. Even more so when it would have been probably as quick to type it as scan it and post the image. It is a real pain to discuss where the errors are when you can't edit the solution. I don't respond to such posts unless there isn't anything else to which I want to respond.

Likes 1 person
Yes, fair point regarding the inability to edit a handwritten document.

Sometimes, however when the problem involves matrices or exact sequences it can be easier to neatly write out a problem, but it does have the disadvantage that you mention, definitely ...

Peter

Note: it is not that we are strictly against. Problem is not with their use, problem is they are frequently misused.

Yes, agree ... Misuse is the problem ...

Peter

jtbell said:
I used Photoshop, but surely there is a lot of free software that can do this.
I use Microsoft Paint. Resize to 800 pix wide; done.

1. What does "Insert image link missing" mean?

The phrase "Insert image link missing" refers to a situation where a forum post or comment is missing a link to an image that was intended to be included. This could be due to a technical issue or simply forgetting to add the link.

2. How can I add an image link in the Linear and Abstract algebra forum?

To add an image link in the Linear and Abstract algebra forum, you can use the image insertion tool provided in the forum's text editor. Simply click on the image icon and insert the link to your image in the designated field.

3. What types of images are allowed in the forum?

The types of images allowed in the forum may vary depending on the platform or website hosting the forum. However, in general, common image formats such as JPEG, PNG, and GIF are usually accepted. It is always best to check the forum's guidelines or contact the forum moderators for specific guidelines.

4. Why is it important to include image links in forum posts?

Including image links in forum posts can be beneficial for several reasons. It can help illustrate a point or concept being discussed, make the post more visually appealing, and provide additional resources for readers to further explore the topic. Additionally, including image links can also aid in understanding and clarity for other forum users.

5. What should I do if I encounter a post with a missing image link in the Linear and Abstract algebra forum?

If you come across a post with a missing image link in the Linear and Abstract algebra forum, you can try reaching out to the author of the post to see if they can provide the missing link. Alternatively, you can also report the issue to the forum moderators so they can address it accordingly.