Add Go to top button after the end of every post

• Thread starter Govind_Balaji
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a button called "go to top" that appears in many forums and directs users to the first post of the page. Some users suggest adding the button below every post for easier access, while others mention using the "home" and "end" keys on a keyboard. The idea of a "top" button at the bottom of the page is also brought up, as well as adding special effects to the wormhole button and the possibility of it taking users to other forums. However, it is ultimately decided to keep the wormhole button as is and some users express their appreciation for it.
Govind_Balaji
In many forums, I see there is button called go to top near the options Quote text. When clicked it directs you to the first post of the page. this would be really helpful.

Physics news on Phys.org
The "Home" and "End" keys do exactly that. Have you tried that? Or are you not on a computer/laptop?

Govind_Balaji said:
In many forums, I see there is button called go to top near the options Quote text. When clicked it directs you to the first post of the page. this would be really helpful.

Scroll a little further and at the bottom there is a "Top" link.

Greg Bernhardt said:

No I want it below every post.

Govind_Balaji said:
No I want it below every post.

Then you won't have it :devil:

Seriously, using Home button on a keyboard is much faster.

Borek said:
Then you won't have it :devil:

Seriously, using Home button on a keyboard is much faster.

Thank you. But but...

ok. leave it. I'll use home and end keys.

Consider if someone uses a mobile phone or a tablet. What will they do? Adding a small button can't slow down any server, can it?

You never mentioned your question is about mobile skin (or tapatalk).

No, It's just suggestion for everybody. Not for me. I don't have a mobile.

Thanks for your suggestion Govind_Balaji. You make some good points. UI design is always important and you give us some food for thought.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I've never noticed that before! I'm happy to use the "home" key, but if we're talking UI design, I would suggest that the "Top" link might be overlooked by many people since it's in what one might call the "legalese" section (terms of service, privacy policy, etc.) and uses the same font. It's not the sort of place one would expect to find a "functional" link.

I agree. I had never noticed the TOP button before I saw this thread.

Can we have a button with a Playboy bunny, Uncle Sam, a US flag, some fireworks, and lots of bling on it?

LCKurtz said:
Can we have a button with a Playboy bunny, Uncle Sam, a US flag, some fireworks, and lots of bling on it?
+1 !

LCKurtz said:
I'm afraid to ask what you want it to do :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm afraid to ask what you want it to do :D
We may not want to know. :redface:

Greg Bernhardt said:
I've given you a wormhole to the top :)

What would happen if, for example, Evo and I found ourselves in the wormhole at the same time? Would we be breaking any physics laws or forum rules?

LCKurtz said:
What would happen if, for example, Evo and I found ourselves in the wormhole at the same time? Would we be breaking any physics laws or forum rules?

Not if you keep your hands to yourself :D

Greg Bernhardt said:
I can add one below the last post. Is that what we want?

I like it! The wormhole saves me swiping to the bottom when I'm at the end of a thread (so I can click the TOP button). I'm running Opera mobile on a 10" and like full desktop interface. Unfortunately, Opera mobile doesn't recognize the Home key. Jumping to top with a single tap saves LOTS of swiping on the tablet.

"Yea!" for the home team!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Not if you keep your hands to yourself :D
I can make no promises. What happens in the wormhole, stays in the wormhole. :approve:

The wormhole is awesome Greg!

Come on LCKurtz, let's go!

10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 GO!... apparently timing is everything!

Dang! This is tricky with no hands.

A worm has two holes, doesn't it? Which one is this?

jbunniii said:
A worm has two holes, doesn't it? Which one is this?

uhh the one on the bottom... :D

LCKurtz said:

No, but if she happens to have her chainsaw with her, you should be very careful...

This is excellent response to a user's request. I have a lot of respect for how you run this site, Greg.

Can this wormhole may become unstable and take you to "unknown" forums?

dlgoff said:
Can this wormhole may become unstable and take you to "unknown" forums?
If it does, it is clearly a malfunction. If you are suddenly missing, we will have to investigate this. Please find your way back to this forum and report it then.

Can we get some special effects, like what happens in the movies when you enter a wormhole? And maybe, randomly, someone won't make it out... or instead of that physics thread you were in, you suddenly find yourself in the Kitten Thread. :approve:

Evo said:
Instead of that physics thread you were in, you suddenly find yourself in the Kitten Thread. :approve:
:rofl:
I really like the wormhole button.Especially that picture.

Evo said:
or instead of that physics thread you were in, you suddenly find yourself in the Kitten Thread. :approve:

That should be pretty easy to implement, I love the idea.

dlgoff said:
... take you to "unknown" forums?

mfb said:
If it does, it is clearly a malfunction. If you are suddenly missing, we will have to investigate this. Please find your way back to this forum and report it then.

By "unknown" forums, I meant PF sub-forums other than the "hole entry" forum. You know I'd never willing go anywhere else.

Greg has the power to make it unstable; say on April 1st. :biggrin: