Forum search box is misplaced in Firefox

• Thread starter NascentOxygen
  • Start date
In summary: hundreds)Hm... my bookmarks seem to be all present and correct. But that's only a sample size of one, of course.
NascentOxygen
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Two points:

1) In Firefox, the search box obscures my stats:

attachment.php?attachmentid=69689.png

2) It would ease the demands on my mouse button if there existed on this page a direct link to my subscriptions. Even after clicking on My PF I still have to go to my subscriptions, in any case, because what is revealed by the My PF is not always reliable―it can be incomplete, not revealing new responses to threads I have contributed to. I find the My PF link is next-to-useless, merely serving as a step towards the thoroughly useful My subscriptions link it brings up. My suggestion is that the My PF link be reassigned to my subscriptions, when I can see at a glance new responses as those threads at the top listed in bold.

Attachments

• screen.png
    screen.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
NascentOxygen said:
1) In Firefox, the search box obscures my stats:

Nah.It looks OK to me! I'm using firefox 26. What about you?

Looks good with Firefox 28 here. But I've read a lot of negative reviews for the latest release; Firefox 29.
e.g. http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/firefox-29-sucks.html

Is that maybe the version you're using NascentOxygen?

adjacent said:
Nah.It looks OK to me! I'm using firefox 26. What about you?
It has been this way for me with every version of Firefox since the page was revamped about 2 years ago. I posted about the problem at that time. I'm using 28 currently.

It's probably that the user name can be of a variable length, and this hasn't be taken into account.

In Opera similar (albeit slightly different things) happen when I have a non zero number of notifications. You have 1 notification, don't you?

NascentOxygen said:
I'm using 28 currently.
Check to see if your fonts are set to Allow pages to chose their own fonts, instead my selections above. Here's what mine looks like.

attachment.php?attachmentid=69706&stc=1&d=1399890124.jpg

Edit: BTW click on Advanced to get to the font window shown

Attachments

• content-fonts.jpg
    content-fonts.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 438
Last edited:
Borek said:
In Opera similar (albeit slightly different things) happen when I have a non zero number of notifications. You have 1 notification, don't you?
Posts and thanks are still obscured, even if I have no notifications.

@dlgoff It wasn't set to allow pages to determine font, so I tried it. Made no difference to the top part of the page (and I couldn't read the resultant squashed-up font in the threads, anyway).

Does your search box appear above or below the post and thread stats?

I'm tipping that what's throwing things out of kilter is that Log Out is split over 2 lines here.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It could be due to your relatively long username. I'm thinking of a solution.

He has been Nascent for a long time. Shouldn't he be the real thing by now anyway?

LCKurtz said:
He has been Nascent for a long time. Shouldn't he be the real thing by now anyway?
##\text{Nascent}O_2## ?

NascentOxygen said:
Does your search box appear above or below the post and thread stats?
Probably moot now that Greg is on the scene but my search box is below the stats. I had a similar problem (things getting squeezed) with my daughters website. I used the browsers View and played with the Character Encoding and the Zoom controls and the problem went away. Just something else to mess with.

dlgoff said:
Looks good with Firefox 28 here. But I've read a lot of negative reviews for the latest release; Firefox 29.
e.g. http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/firefox-29-sucks.html

It's OK for me in FF 29.0.1. The difference between the OP's screen shot and what I see is that the OP's "Welcome back" message has wrapped onto two lines not one.

Why not right-justify the message instead of centering it on the middle of the search box? That will probably work unless somebody has a user name with more than about 256 characters.

FWIW I don't particularly see any added value in the new look of FF29, but everything I want to do seems to work. But I just use browsers for browsing - I don't spend my life playing with the configuration options.

AlephZero said:
I don't particularly see any added value in the new look of FF29, but everything I want to do seems to work. But I just use browsers for browsing - I don't spend my life playing with the configuration options.
I have hundreds of bookmarks and from the reviews I've read, bookmarks are lost along with their backup files. I don't spend my life playing with configuration options, but I do depend on being able to have references at a mouse click.

No hijacking intended. :redface:

dlgoff said:
I have hundreds of bookmarks and from the reviews I've read, bookmarks are lost along with their backup files.

Hm... my bookmarks seem to be all present and correct. But that's only a sample size of one, of course. (And I only have about 20, not hundreds).

NascentOxygen said:
2) It would ease the demands on my mouse button if there existed on this page a direct link to my subscriptions. Even after clicking on My PF I still have to go to my subscriptions, in any case, because what is revealed by the My PF is not always reliable―it can be incomplete, not revealing new responses to threads I have contributed to. I find the My PF link is next-to-useless, merely serving as a step towards the thoroughly useful My subscriptions link it brings up. My suggestion is that the My PF link be reassigned to my subscriptions, when I can see at a glance new responses as those threads at the top listed in bold.
There is a direct link: Click "Quick Links", then select "Subscribed Threads" in the Miscellaneous section. It's still two clicks, but at least you don't have to wait for an intermediate page to load.

Or, you could put a bookmark in the Bookmarks Toolbar, and have one-click access even when you're not already looking at PF. (As long as your toolbar is not already cluttered with a lot of other links.)

1. Why is the forum search box misplaced in Firefox?

The forum search box may be misplaced in Firefox due to a compatibility issue between the forum website and the Firefox browser. This can happen if the website is not optimized for Firefox or if there is a bug in the browser.

2. How can I fix the misplaced forum search box in Firefox?

One way to fix the misplaced forum search box in Firefox is by clearing the browser's cache and cookies. This can help to refresh the website and resolve any compatibility issues. You can also try updating your Firefox browser to the latest version or using a different browser.

3. Is this a common issue in Firefox?

The misplaced forum search box in Firefox may be a common issue for some users, but it may not affect everyone. It could be specific to certain versions of Firefox or certain websites. It is always a good idea to report any issues you encounter to the website's support team or the Firefox developers.

4. Can I adjust the placement of the forum search box in Firefox?

Unfortunately, adjusting the placement of the forum search box in Firefox may not be possible as it is determined by the website's design. However, you can try zooming in or out on the webpage to see if that helps with the placement.

5. Will this issue be fixed in future updates of Firefox?

The Firefox development team is constantly working on improving the browser and addressing any compatibility issues. It is likely that this issue will be fixed in future updates, but there is no guarantee. You can check the release notes for each update to see if it includes a fix for the misplaced forum search box.