Junior year Schedule-Which classes are most important to have taken?

In summary, the conversation discusses the person's schedule for their Junior year, which includes American History Honors, English III Honors, Precalculus Honors, Probability and Statistics, Yearbook Honors, Physics Honors, and AP Psychology. They are considering switching out of Yearbook to take Computer Programming and wondering if that would be better for their prospective major in Physics. They also question whether they should take AP Statistics without having taken Probability and Statistics first and ask for advice on improving their schedule. The conversation also touches on the importance of a strong senior year schedule for college applications, particularly for early decision.
mewhoexactlywhat
This is my schedule for my Junior year:
American History Honors
English III Honors
Precalculus Honors
Probability and Statistics
Yearbook Honors
Physics Honors
AP Psychology

I think I'd like to switch out of Yearbook to take Computer Programming, but I'm not sure if that would make me appear too one sided, and I've also applied for a job which I might not have time for if I take Yearbook. Which would be better for a prospective Physics major?(the only reason I wonder is that Yearbook would be a creative class and I don't take many) I was also wondering about AP Statistics; should I take it without having taken Probability and Statistics first? I'm good in math, but I wasn't sure about it. Does anyone have any advice on how to otherwise improve my schedule? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you really enjoy Yearbook I'd advise you to take the programming course. The programming will help towards your physics major.

Thank you! :smile:

Does your school offer a very comprehensive computer programming course? If not, you might be better off taking what you want and dabble in programming by yourself. You'll have plenty of time in college to take computer science courses (perhaps even ones that are geared toward numerical computing and simulation). Knowing a programming language will definitely be useful as a physics major, but you might not have the time or opportunity to do something like yearbook when you're in college. Also, you'll find that as you go through undergrad and eventually graduate course work, they become more and more one-sided until your entire life revolves around math and science. Bottom-line: It's good that you're considering a course load that revolves around your future goals, but keep in mind that many colleges don't even expect you to declare a major until your sophomore year, so relax and enjoy high school while you still can.

Thank you, I think I'll probably take Computer Programming, so that I'll have free time after school. But I will consider keeping Yearbook. Thanks. :smile:

well, definitely go with precalc and physics! :biggrin:

i don't know how the ap statistics course is run, although you have just piqued my interest...

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to precalculus and physics. I've even gone through tutorials and a few books to try to get a head start on each! :biggrin:

hm.

for university of florida, a score of a 3, 4, or 5 gets you credit for the following stats class:

STA 2023 Introduction to Statistics 1
Credits: 3.
Graphical and numerical descriptive measures. Simple linear regression. Basic probability concepts, random variables, sampling distributions, central limit theorem. Large and small sample confidence intervals and significance tests for parameters associated with a single population and for comparison of two populations. Use of statistical computer software and computer applets to analyze data and explore new concepts. (M) (MR)

however, the stats courses that the math department recommends for students with an interest in applied math are the following:

STA 4321 Mathematical Statistics 1
Credits: 3; Prereq: grade of "C" or better in MAC 2313, and STA 2023 or STA 3032, or permission of instructor.
Introduction to the theory of probability, counting rules, conditional probability, independence, additive and multiplicative laws, Bayes Rule. Discrete and continuous random variables, their distributions, moments, moment generating functions. Multivariate probability distributions, independence, covariance. Distributions of functions of random variables, sampling distributions, central limit theorem. (M) (MR)

STA 4322 Mathematical Statistics 2
Credits: 3; Prereq: STA 4321, or equivalent.
Sampling distributions, central limit theorem, estimation, properties of point estimators, confidence intervals, hypothesis testing, common large sample tests, normal theory small sample tests, uniformly most powerful and likelihood ratio tests, linear models and least squares, correlation. Introduction to analysis of variance. (M) (MR)

huh. stats 1 is a prereq for math stats 1. didn't know that.

anyway, it didn't appear to me on the ap website that the class is designed around the assumption that you've had exposure to the material before. (then again, ap physics is designed the same way, although it seems like most people who have passed the exam have had a year of physics prior.)

so..um...
:confused:

Oh well, I'll just take it next year then. Thank you.

Well, I was hoping to apply under Early Decision to Columbia (I know it's a reach...) If I took my said schedule except without Yearbook (computer programming or Spansih 2 instead, unless I really love Yearbook, I'll give it a few days to see) and didn't take AP Statistics, would they even see my senior schedule (which I've planned to incorporate some really great classes including around 5 APs)? What would I be able to do to make up for this and give myself a better chance?

mewhoexactlywhat said:
Well, I was hoping to apply under Early Decision to Columbia (I know it's a reach...) If I took my said schedule except without Yearbook (computer programming or Spansih 2 instead, unless I really love Yearbook, I'll give it a few days to see) and didn't take AP Statistics, would they even see my senior schedule (which I've planned to incorporate some really great classes including around 5 APs)? What would I be able to do to make up for this and give myself a better chance?

well, i for one didn't apply anywhere early decision, but ...i forget which school, maybe all of the ones i applied to...

anyway, at least one of the schools i applied to asked which courses i was signed up for during senior year. I'm sure that you will not be the first to apply to columbia early decision who took more impressive courses senior year. (seems like the ap program is designed so that juniors get two, maybe three and seniors can take like... five.)

what i would do right now is look at columbia's undergrad app and see if there's an opportunity for you to wow'em with your senior schedule of courses. (if not, i guess there's always the essay! :tongue: )

Thanks! I I'll check as soon as it's available; the website said it wouldn't be available until later in the summer. :frown: Thanks for the suggestion, you've been so helpful. :smile:

1. What classes should I prioritize taking during my junior year?

It is important to take a mix of core classes and electives during your junior year. Core classes such as English, math, science, and history are typically required to graduate and will prepare you for college. Electives can allow you to explore your interests and potentially help you discover your passion.

2. Are there any specific classes that colleges look for during the admissions process?

While each college may have different requirements, most universities look for students who have taken a challenging and well-rounded course load. This means taking a mix of advanced and college-preparatory classes in various subjects. It is also important to take classes that align with your intended major or career goals.

3. Is it better to take more AP or honors classes, or to focus on getting straight A's in regular classes?

This can vary depending on your individual strengths and goals. Taking more AP or honors classes can demonstrate academic rigor and challenge yourself, which can be appealing to colleges. However, it is also important to maintain a strong GPA, so it is important to find a balance that works for you.

4. Can I still change my schedule if I realize I want to take a different class?

It depends on your school's policies and availability of classes. Some schools may allow you to make changes during the first few weeks of the semester, while others may have strict deadlines. It is best to consult with your guidance counselor or academic advisor for more information.

5. How can I make sure my junior year schedule is well-balanced and not too overwhelming?

You can work with your guidance counselor or academic advisor to create a schedule that balances core classes, electives, and extracurricular activities. It is also important to prioritize your mental and physical well-being by not overloading yourself with too many difficult classes. Remember, quality over quantity is key.