Prove that f(sqrt(2),-sqrt(2))=-8<f(x,y)

• Thread starter pbialos
  • Start date
In summary, Paul is seeking help with proving that (sqrt(2),-sqrt(2)) and (-sqrt(2),sqrt(2)) are absolute minimums for the function f(x,y)=x^4+y^4-2(x-y)^2. He also wants to know if there are any local maximums. In his work, he found the partial derivatives, determined where they vanish, and calculated the discriminant. He then used this information to prove that there are no local maximums for the function. He asks for clarification on his explanation and thanks for the help.
pbialos
I have an exercise i would really appreciate if you could help me with:

Given f:R^2->R, f(x,y)=x^4+y^4-2(x-y)^2
1-Prove that (sqrt(2),-sqrt(2)) and (-sqrt(2),sqrt(2)) are absolute minimums
2-are there any local maximums?

1-I found out that the critical points lie on the line y=-x, and i suppose i should prove that f(sqrt(2),-sqrt(2))=-8<f(x,y) for every (x,y) but i don't know how to do this.

2-I found that there arent any local maximums, but i would like you to correct me if i am wrong.

Thank you very much, Paul.

Physics news on Phys.org
2. what are the partial derivatves, where do they vanish and what is the discrominant there? post the working.

my work

The partial derivatives are: Fx=4x^3-4(x-y) and Fy=4y^3+4(x-y)
they vanish at x=-y and the discriminant there is 144y^4-96y^2 if my calculations are correct.
Fx and Fy are the partial derivatives with respect to x and y respectively.
What i did next, was to say that if there is a relative maximum at (x,-x):

(a)the discriminant has to be positive and Fxx>0 or
(b)the discriminant has to be equal to 0.

if (a) happens it would mean that Fxx=12x^2-4>0 and discriminant=144y^4-96y^2>0 which is not possible for any point over y=-x.

(b) can only happen if (x,y)=(0,0) but i can prove that it is a saddle point approaching from different directions to (0,0).

So i concluded that there are not relative maximums, is this correct?

If you ask me, i think i can explain it a little bit clearer.
Thank you for your help, Paul.

1. How can we prove that f(sqrt(2),-sqrt(2))=-8

To prove this statement, we can use the substitution method. First, we substitute the given values of x and y into the function f(x,y). This gives us -8

2. What is the significance of the given values of x and y in the statement f(sqrt(2),-sqrt(2))=-8

The values of x and y in this statement represent specific coordinates on a coordinate plane. The x-value of sqrt(2) and the y-value of -sqrt(2) are important because they allow us to evaluate the function f(x,y) at a specific point. This is useful when trying to prove inequalities, as we can substitute these values into the function and compare the result to other values.

3. How does the substitution method work in proving inequalities?

The substitution method is a mathematical technique used to prove inequalities. It involves substituting specific values into a given function and simplifying the resulting expression to prove a statement. In this case, we are substituting the values of x and y into the function f(x,y) and then simplifying the expression to show that the given statement is true.

4. Can we use other methods besides substitution to prove this statement?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove this statement. One method is the graphical method, where we graph the given inequality and see if the point (sqrt(2),-sqrt(2)) falls below the graph. Another method is the algebraic method, where we manipulate the given inequality using algebraic operations and properties to arrive at a true statement.

5. In what other situations might we need to prove an inequality like this?

Inequalities are commonly used in many areas of science, such as economics, physics, and chemistry. They can be used to compare two values or quantities and determine which one is greater or lesser. For example, in physics, we might use inequalities to compare the velocity of an object at different points in time. In chemistry, we might use inequalities to compare the concentrations of different substances in a solution. Proving inequalities is a useful skill to have in many scientific fields.