Newton's 3rd Law homework help

In summary, Newton's 3rd Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This law can be observed in everyday life, such as when walking or sitting on a chair. The formula for this law is F1 = -F2, where F1 and F2 are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. This law can also be applied in outer space, as seen in the launching of rockets. It is closely related to Newton's 1st and 2nd Laws, as it explains the cause of an object's motion.
BriannaUND
I'm having trouble with the following problems:
1) A student throws a water balloon down at his math professor walking on the sidewalk. He drops a balloon from 18.0 meters above the ground when the profesor is 1.00 meter from the point directly beneath the window. IF the professor is 170 cm tall and walks at a rate of .450 m/s does the balloon hit her? If not, how close does it come?
Given: height= 18 m, v (init)= 0, g= 9.8 m/s2 I don't know where to start after this though for I don't know how to figure out the velocity of the balloon!
2)A jet aircraft being launched from an aircraft carrier is accelerated from rest along a 94.0 m track for 2.5 sec. a) what is the acceleration of the aircraft, assuming its constant? and b) What is the launch speed of the jet?
For this one I calculated part a: v= 94 m/2.5 sec = 37.6 m; a= 37.6m/2.5sec = 15 m/s2. However the back of the book states that the answer should be 30 m/s2. And I'm not sure how to go about calculating part b.
Thanks for any help- i appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
for (1) Start with calculating the effective striking area from the top view.

(2) Not enough info to give numbers. What you can do is talk in terms of the relative masses of the carrier and aircraft, and use the law of Action and Reaction (Newton's 3rd Law). Then you can paste together some formulas.

BriannaUND said:
I'm having trouble with the following problems:
1) A student throws a water balloon down at his math professor walking on the sidewalk. He drops a balloon from 18.0 meters above the ground when the profesor is 1.00 meter from the point directly beneath the window. IF the professor is 170 cm tall and walks at a rate of .450 m/s does the balloon hit her? If not, how close does it come?
Given: height= 18 m, v (init)= 0, g= 9.8 m/s2 I don't know where to start after this though for I don't know how to figure out the velocity of the balloon!
What velocity do you want to figure out?? Certainly you can't figure out how far the balloon drops in a certain time by multiplying a velocity by time since the velocity is not constant. Do you know s= -(1/2)gt2+ v0t+ s0? Here v0= 0, s0= 18 m. Set s= 1.7 m, the height of the teacher and solve (-1/2)(9.8)t2+ 18= 1.7. Where will the teacher be at that time?

2)A jet aircraft being launched from an aircraft carrier is accelerated from rest along a 94.0 m track for 2.5 sec. a) what is the acceleration of the aircraft, assuming its constant? and b) What is the launch speed of the jet?
For this one I calculated part a: v= 94 m/2.5 sec = 37.6 m; a= 37.6m/2.5sec = 15 m/s2. However the back of the book states that the answer should be 30 m/s2. And I'm not sure how to go about calculating part b.
Thanks for any help- i appreciate it!
I presume you mean that the aircraft travels across the 94 m in 2.5 seconds from an initial speed of 0.
Your calculation, v= 94 m/2.5 s= 37.s m/s is wrong because that formula holds only for constant speed. That v is the average during the launch, not the final velocity.
Okay, same formula: s= (1/2)at2+ v0t+ s0. Here a is unknown but t= 2.5, v0= 0, s0= 0 and s= 94. Solve for a. Use that value of a with v= at to find the final launch velocity.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is Newton's 3rd Law of Motion?

Newton's 3rd Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when an object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert a force back on the first object that is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction.

How does Newton's 3rd Law apply to everyday life?

Newton's 3rd Law can be observed in everyday life in various ways. For example, when you walk, your feet push backwards on the ground, and in turn, the ground pushes forward on your feet, propelling you forward. Another example is when you sit on a chair, your weight pushes down on the chair, and the chair pushes back up with an equal force to support you.

What is the formula for Newton's 3rd Law?

The formula for Newton's 3rd Law is F1 = -F2, where F1 is the force exerted by the first object and F2 is the force exerted by the second object. This formula shows that the two forces are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction.

Can Newton's 3rd Law be applied in outer space?

Yes, Newton's 3rd Law can be applied in outer space. For example, when a rocket is launched, the burning of fuel creates a force that pushes the rocket upwards. At the same time, the rocket exerts an equal and opposite force on the fuel, causing it to be pushed out of the rocket's engine.

How is Newton's 3rd Law related to the other laws of motion?

Newton's 3rd Law is related to the other laws of motion in that it is a fundamental principle of physics that helps us understand how forces act on objects. It is closely related to Newton's 1st Law (inertia) and Newton's 2nd Law (acceleration), as it explains the cause of an object's motion or lack of motion.