Why is this website a great resource for learning about physics and space?

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around how each person found Physics Forums. Some were looking for answers to questions, others stumbled upon it while searching for something else, and some were dared to check it out. There was also a discussion about the founder of PF and how it all began.
Lisa!
Gold Member
At first I had some questions about dark matter and black holes, so I found here and then I thought it's a very cool website, so I've stayed here to spoil it! :tongue2:

What about you?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how I found out about this site. It was quite long ago (especially in computer years). Anyway, I thought that there are just really a lot of people who visit this site, and there is always an interesting topic to read and also a lot of people asking for help. This reminds me of my own days struggling in high school and 1st year college, so I can't resist but to help. It's always nice to help someone else learn about what you love so dearly. Kind of like how football fans love talking about their team. So in my spare time, I forum ^_^

I was rather bored on rainy day back in march 2003 and decided i would come here for a laugh.

Only problem is i have never been able to get away from here.

oh and i had some crazy question about ducks quack and whether it echo's or not?

I was searching google for "hot nude science chicks" and somehow found PF.

I can't quite remember how I found it but I'm sure it was through Google. :rofl:

But I am not here .. .. .. .. .. not there either .. .. .. .. .. .. ..

LD
Oh When will turtle be back, those park benches are so hard on my back, unlike turles back, that is so comfortable, he is so special and he thinks he is carrieing the entire world upon his Back, when he carries me .. .. .. .. .. when will he be Back?? Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!

In 2002 I was trying to expand my library cheaply by finding free e-books all over the internet. In the course of my Googling I found Physics Forums, and I thought, "Hey, why don't I enlist some help in this endeavor?" So, I posted my now world-famous (:rolleyes:) Physics Napster thread. At the time I had no intention of sticking around or doing anything with PF other than using that thread to find what I wanted, but before I knew it I had several hundred posts and a PF Mentorship. And the rest, as they say, is history.

mattmns said:
My poor mate, are you in right place? :uhh:

To make people aware that i will become the king-equivelant in science in later years and thus to be at awe to me.

Well, i was looking for information about some classical mechanics topics, i saw a few threads in the homework section, and i decided to step in and help out, and in the process i ended being helped too! (i've learned plenty in this forum), so i stayed :approve:

The question is how Greg came up with the great idea of PF! :rolleyes:

Tom Mattson said:
In 2002 I was trying to expand my library cheaply by finding free e-books all over the internet.
Now I got what you meant!

I followed the trail of crumbs from kaku.org when it got to be like a bunch of 15 year olds battling about who was "kewler" or could kick whos bu-tocks (say it like Forrest).
lisa! said:
The question is how Greg came up with the great idea of PF!

Yeah Greg, I've never heard that one, spill it.

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
Perhaps that's a story we'll hear sometime. :)

I'm just here for the free pizza. Umm, I mean to learn..

I was hacking into moonbear's computer when I found PF: PhysicsForums about 500 times on her history list :rolleyes:

And the reason is clear, it's because you are here! :smile:

P.S. This being the year of physics, I had resolved to learn more about relativity.

Welcome back, EnumaElish! :smile:

yomamma said:
I was hacking into moonbear's computer when I found PF: PhysicsForums about 500 times on her history list :rolleyes:
Any other site? :tongue2:

Lisa! said:
Welcome back, EnumaElish! :smile:

Any other site? :tongue2:
just one:

Thread Killer Champoins: Physicsforums.com

yomamma said:

Me too!

Actually, I was having a nice discussion on cooling computers at another site and I got into an argument with someone on the physics of heat transfer.

He posted our argument here and dared me to come and view the responses. I did. I told him I liked the site a lot and he said, he thought I would that's why he dared me to come and look.

So you can either thank or blame Boulderhead for me being here. Personally, I thank him for showing me the site. Great place.

I miss Boulderhead.

Lisa! said:

The beginning is breathtaking and captivating story that should be told in a spielberg film. It was spring 2001 and the muggy amazon air was wearing heavy in my lungs and and covered my body with a cloak of sweat. It was getting dark and I knew my kogi tribal guide was trembling with fear and wouldn't help me for long as we near the hidden temple. With the strength of a thousand ox I crawled through waist high swamp full of snakes and hungry gators to finally reach the temple door. The temple was dark and reaked of death with scores of hanging vines weaving throughout the passageways. I used my machete to hack my way to the main burial chamber. I opened the ancient sarcophagus with the text "Chief Crazyhead Mattson" and I was confused, but in a weird rush of clarity it made sense. Sweating from the heat and shear fear of what I'd find, I reached inside the damp and dusty sarcophagus and slowly brought up what I had been searching for...

Greg Bernhardt said:
The beginning is breathtaking and captivating story that should be told in a spielberg film. It was spring 2001 and the muggy amazon air was wearing heavy in my lungs and and covered my body with a cloak of sweat. It was getting dark and I knew my kogi tribal guide was trembling with fear and wouldn't help me for long as we near the hidden temple. With the strength of a thousand ox I crawled through waist high swamp full of snakes and hungry gators to finally reach the temple door. The temple was dark and reaked of death with scores of hanging vines weaving throughout the passageways. I used my machete to hack my way to the main burial chamber. I opened the ancient sarcophagus with the text "Chief Crazyhead Mattson" and I was confused, but in a weird rush of clarity it made sense. Sweating from the heat and shear fear of what I'd find, I reached inside the damp and dusty sarcophagus and slowly brought up what I had been searching for...
Are you Greg Jones? :wink: As I see Tom had an important role from the begining.:bugeyes:

It was supposed to be a secret, but since you asked so nicely...
I'm Smurf's probation officer. Had to follow along to make sure he sticks to the conditions.

Where did boulderhead go?

Andy said:
Where did boulderhead go?

He moved back to South America. For some reason he doesn't have internet access.

I was upset at another forum, couldn't break away from the internet completely, so found and used this one as a crutch while my addiction to said forum became less of a problem.

Now, I can quit anytime I want.

But I really like the politics board.

pattylou said:
Now, I can quit anytime I want.
Suuuurrrrreee...:rolleyes:

To discuss my own physics theory...

You will one day remember you chatted with the future Einstein that will reveal the GUT and will the Nobel Prize before he is 25 years of age.

And I stuck around cause of GD :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
AHA, I always knew there was more to the story than you were letting on! I love the "strength of a thousand ox" I need to find a way to casually work that into a conversation tomorrow. :tongue:

Oh yeah, the GUT will be revealed by a man not a woman.

Evo said:
I need to find a way to casually work that into a conversation tomorrow

How about, my new hair gel has the strength of a thousand oxen? Or, maybe, did you know that your breath has the strength of a thousand oxen?

Why are you here?

Momma says it's cause daddy got momma drunk.

And here's the real story of why I'm here.

Night was falling in the Amazon rainforest as I and my tribal guide trekked ever closer to the foreboding Temple of Death. I saw my guide trembling with fear at an exponential rate as we got ever nearer to that dreaded place. We should never have gone there. As soon as the orange sun winked below the horizon yonder, the day murmuring of the rainforest died and gave birth to an ever increasing cacophony of other-worldly and dreadful animal sounds. There were howls and yelps, and long mournful bellows...beckoning the sane mind to abandon all hope. And yet we were insane, so we kept on going, our clothes full of leeches, mosquitoes, blood smears and thick smelly sweat. As we trekked into that final clearing surrounding the Temple of Death, we knelt upon the ground in humbleness, and offered our left pinky to the gods for safe passage into the underworld. Then with the strength of a thousand oxen, we staggered into the Entrance of the Temple of Death. It was a vast and powerful room, completely empty, with a small door at the opposite end. As we admired the completely square architecture, the door opened. Oh, how I regret that moment now. It was beckoning us, seducing us...into...that quagmire of ultimate suffering. We walked on, complete cows to the imminent danger. As we stepped through that ghastly door, we were met not by solid ground beneath our feet, but a vast, undescribable emptiness. It sucked all emotion from us, and filled us back with guilt and sadness and horror and terror all mixed together. We were falling, falling into nothing, always expecting, and always being disappointed. It was like a mental roller coaster, hope would enter your mind, then a minute later as you still fell, it would be replaced with despair. Then as you slowed down hope would enter again, and yet again you would speed up into the eternal abyss... Finally we saw a dim glow. We felt it first as warmth. Then it became hot. And finally we comprehended what it was: the amalgamation of all the asses of physics put together...burning and burning and burning for being wrong. And we were going to fall in it. We had abandoned all hope. Then, all of a sudden, we stopped falling and The Great Mouse appeared in front of us. She asked us if we wanted to stop believing in physics as we know it and learn true physics. My guide didn't know what physics was, so he was eternally damned. I saw his body disintegrate, and the pieces fall, and yet the pieces were all alive...and they still are. Suffering eternal damnation for ignorance. So I told The Great Mouse, "Yes!". And even before the word was out, I breathed the cool refreshing air of PF.

Last edited:
mattmns said:
Well, now someone really can find us by typing in that search string thanks to this post. :rofl: