Is it Rafe or Rafa for the shortened version of Rafael?

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary, In Moonbear's opinion, it's best to just use Rafael's full name in a report, even if the person is on a first name/nickname basis. Google suggests Rafa, but one of the links doesn't even list it. Moonbear also thinks it's funny that her nickname has nicknames.
russ_watters
Mentor
I'm editing a report my boss wrote about a job we are doing in Mexico. One of the workers is named Rafael (is that even spelled right)? We generally called him by the shortened version: is it Rafe or Rafa? I'm guessing Rafe, but I wasn't sure, hence...

Physics news on Phys.org
I vote that you just use his full name rather than a nickname in a report. I didn't even know there was a short version of Rafael (or Raphael...that would be the English spelling, but you probably have it right for the Spanish spelling). Even if you're on a first name/nickname basis with someone, in technical/formal writing, you still should avoid using nicknames (and then you don't have to figure out how to spell them :biggrin:).

Moonbear said:
I vote that you just use his full name rather than a nickname in a report... Even if you're on a first name/nickname basis with someone, in technical/formal writing, you still should avoid using nicknames (and then you don't have to figure out how to spell them :biggrin:).
That would be an easy way out, but it isn't my report, so I don't know if that'll work. I'll try.

I agree with Moonbear. I'm rather surprised your boss doesn't know this.

Evo said:
I agree with Moonbear. I'm rather surprised your boss doesn't know this.
I don't think it's quite that black and white. Some names more readily reduce to their nicnames than others. Take mine, for example: I rarely use "Russell" in anything but the most formal of communications. Edward/Ed is another good example. Jason/Jay is probably one you wouldn't reduce, but not being Spanish, I don't know how Rafael ranks in that. I'll probably take Moonbear's suggestion anyway, though.

honestrosewater, hmm - google gets more hits for Rafa, but one of the links there, about baby names, doesn't even list it!

Just call him Raf! :uhh: Although I think it must be Rafa.

russ_watters said:
honestrosewater, hmm - google gets more hits for Rafa, but one of the links there, about baby names, doesn't even list it!
Eh, yeah, I'm getting mixed results. The news results were almost all for the same person. I wasn't really thinking. It's bugging me now, so I'm still looking. (Yes, I'm strange.)

russ_watters said:
I don't think it's quite that black and white. Some names more readily reduce to their nicnames than others.
My name doesn't reduce to any sort of nickname. I used to hate that when I was a kid and everyone else had nicknames...I felt left out. But, as an adult, I like it...my name is my name, and there are no issues of anyone taking liberties in using a nickname I don't like. One of my friends was absolutely crazy about making sure her kids' names couldn't be turned into nicknames. She was adamant that whatever she named her kids were the names they should be called, so both kids have very short names...I can only imagine she must have had a bad nickname experience as a child. :uhh:

Moonbear said:
My name doesn't reduce to any sort of nickname.
What do you think about "Moonie"?

(too easy?)

russ_watters said:
What do you think about "Moonie"?
(too easy?)
Oh, I meant my real name. I think it's hysterical that my nickname here has nicknames. :rofl:

1. How do you spell [word]?

To determine the correct spelling of a word, you can consult a dictionary or use spell check on a computer or phone. You can also try breaking down the word into smaller, easier-to-spell parts or using mnemonic devices to remember the correct spelling.

2. What is the difference between [word 1] and [word 2]?

The difference between two words can depend on their meaning and context. Some words may have similar spellings but different definitions, while others may have different spellings but similar meanings. It is important to consult a dictionary or thesaurus to understand the nuances between two words.

3. Is there a rule for spelling [specific type of word]?

There are various spelling rules for different types of words, such as plurals, verb tenses, and prefixes and suffixes. It is important to study and understand these rules in order to spell words correctly. However, English spelling can be inconsistent and exceptions to these rules do exist.

4. How do I improve my spelling skills?

Improving spelling skills takes practice and patience. Reading frequently and exposing yourself to different words can help expand your vocabulary and improve spelling. You can also use spelling games and exercises to reinforce your knowledge of spelling rules and patterns.

5. Why are some words difficult to spell?

Some words may be difficult to spell due to their origin or etymology, meaning their history and development. English has borrowed words from many different languages, resulting in a diverse and sometimes confusing spelling system. Additionally, some words may have silent letters or irregular spellings, making them more challenging to spell.