Which is better for measuring g? Bar Pendulum or Simple Pendulum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the accuracy of measuring g, the acceleration due to gravity, using a bar pendulum or a simple pendulum. Advantages of each method are mentioned, such as the rigidity of the bar pendulum and the well-defined pivot point of the simple pendulum. The use of a mathematical pendulum is also suggested as a more precise method. The original poster is not concerned with obtaining an exact value, but rather comparing the two experiments.
maverick280857

Homework Statement

Which is a more accurate way of measuring g, the acceleration due to gravity? Using a bar pendulum or a simple pendulum?

Homework Equations

Bar Pendulum = metal rod with slotted holes at fixed distances, which serve as pivots.

The Attempt at a Solution

For small oscillations, the time periods of both the bar pendulum and the simple pendulum have identical mathematical forms. But, I am not able to decide which one would be a better device for measuring g (by measuring the time period for a fixed number of oscillations, say 20, by varying the effective lengths).

Advantages of bar pendulum over simple pendulum: is rigid, so motion is confined (mostly) to 2D; the string of the simple pendulum may not remain straight at maximum angular displacements, but there is no such problem with the bar pendulum (again assuming that it remains fairly rigid over the small angular displacements).

Advantages of simple pendulum over a bar pendulum: Most of the mass is concentrated in the bob and so the nonuniform mass distribution can be neglected. The point of support (pivot) is well defined and there is negligible friction due to the pivot (and the string wrapped around it). However, for a rod pivoted on a knife edge arrangement, the point of support is not well defined. Further, there may be friction which leads to lateral displacement of the point of support and so the mean position may not be laterally fixed.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
Vivek

Physics news on Phys.org
If I remember correctly I got 9.90+-0.07m/s^2 with mathematical pendulum. I think that's a better way; lower air resistance, easier to define dimensions. Oscilations out of vertical plane should not bother you, if you are careful the vertical oscilations are small, and don't affect final result.

By mathematical pendulum, you mean simple pendulum right?

Hmm, thanks. Any more inputs would be greatly apprecited.

Last edited:
maverick280857 said:
By mathematical pendulum, you mean simple pendulum right?
Yes, a small iron ball at the end of very thin rope. How precise result do you want anyway? I really can't see the way that you could get a better result using physical instead mathematical pendelum. There are much more parameters that you can't assess precisely.

Last edited:
I am not "looking" for accuracy. I am just comparing the two experiments. The actual values aren't that relevant.

1. What is the difference between a bar pendulum and a simple pendulum?

A bar pendulum consists of a rigid, elongated rod that swings back and forth, while a simple pendulum consists of a mass attached to a string or rod that swings back and forth.

2. Which pendulum is more accurate in measuring g?

Both pendulums can accurately measure g, but a bar pendulum is considered to be more precise due to its rigid structure and ability to minimize air resistance.

3. How does the length of the pendulum affect the measurement of g?

The length of the pendulum affects the period of oscillation, which is the time it takes for the pendulum to complete one full swing. A longer pendulum will have a longer period and a shorter pendulum will have a shorter period. This affects the accuracy of the measurement, as a longer period allows for more precise timing.

4. Why is a bar pendulum often used in laboratory experiments?

A bar pendulum is often used in laboratory experiments because it can be easily controlled and its motion can be accurately measured. It also minimizes the effects of external factors, such as air resistance, that can affect the accuracy of the measurement.

5. Can a simple pendulum be used for measuring g in everyday situations?

Yes, a simple pendulum can be used for measuring g in everyday situations. However, it may not be as accurate as a bar pendulum due to its sensitivity to external factors. In everyday situations, a simple pendulum can still provide a close approximation of the value of g.