Try Turbo-1's Habanero Sauce - Hot Stuff!

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hot
In summary, turbo and his wife spent the day canning and pickling various types of peppers, including habaneros, jalapenos, lipstick chilis, and a variety of red peppers. They also made a flavorful pepper relish using peppers from their neighbor and Astronuc. Their neighbor is also a pepper enthusiast and turbo's wife brought some extra jars to the store owner, who loved it and may want to start selling it. They also made jalapeno poppers, which were a hit with everyone except for the hot-averse members of the family. They also started a batch of tomato and pepper salsa to be canned the next day.
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting. I'm not a big fan of soy sauce anymore, after encountering some medical emergencies due to undeclared MSG. Still, it looks like something fun to try.

I keep my hot sauces as simple as I can - they "mature" in the jars and simple flavor combos can fit in with a lot of dishes.

Either the peppers have to be pickled, or dried, or made into a hot sauce. I'd go with turbo's recipe.

One can dry them by slicing them open and putting them out to dry or do in the oven on low heat.

Astronuc said:
One can dry them by slicing them open and putting them out to dry or do in the oven on low heat.
My neighbor gave us a dehydrator with tons of trays. I haven't tried drying chilies because I've had such good luck with sauces and relishes. We dried lots of stuff for dog-snacks recently, though. Liver, sweet potatoes, bananas, carrots... my dog loves them all.

I got some ghost peppers from rhody. I finally tried one.

Mmmmm - they're rather mild. :biggrin:

I think my habs are hotter - but I'm still testing. :tongue2:

Astronuc said:
I got some ghost peppers from rhody. I finally tried one.

Mmmmm - they're rather mild. :biggrin:

I think my habs are hotter - but I'm still testing. :tongue2:

I think Astronuc is fibbing, maybe just a wee bit...

Rhody... :eek:

Hmmm. Mild ghost peppers...

Damn, now I have to start all over again... with http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20101203/sc_yblog_thelookout/worlds-hottest-pepper-is-hot-enough-to-strip-paint"
World’s hottest pepper is ‘hot enough to strip paint
and
Researchers at Warwick University testing the Naga Viper found that it measures 1,359,000 on the Scoville scale, which rates heat by tracking the presence of a chemical compound. In comparison, most varieties of jalapeño peppers measure in the 2,500 to 5,000 range -- milder than the Naga Viper by a factor of 270.

You might think the Naga Viper would hail from some part of the world with a strong demand for spicy food, such as India or Mexico. But the new pepper is actually the handiwork of Gerald Fowler, a British chili farmer and pub owner, who crossed three of the hottest peppers known to man -- including the Bhut Jolokia -- to create his Frankenstein-monster chili.

Rhody...

P.S.

Two guys eating this http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/naga_viper_chilli.htm" , one is having trouble with his wind pipe, they are both drooling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!

Still, I don't eat my habs neat, though. I make sauces out of them, and I can control the intensity. I used to have two people (neighbor and brother) who said they wanted my red habanero relish. Both have since given up due to the heat. That's OK since the last couple of growing seasons have been terrible for chilies.

I didn't get enough habaneros for a one-chile-variety batch of relish last summer, so I combined them with jalapenos, cayenne, and other varieties, along with a lot of garlic. Perfect relish for hot dogs!

It turns out the creators of the Naga Viper are not (yet) in the business of selling any seeds, probably because there are so few to begin with since the cross breed is still new. Perhaps after 5 to 7 generations of plants they will have enough seeds to begin to sell.

I will stay tuned and sound the word if they become available.

Rhody...

I just retired yet another jar of this year's catch-all chili/garlic relish. Man! That stuff is going fast. It's a must-have relish for dressing hot dogs, and combined with any hot mustard, I can't get enough. I've got to start enough habanero seedlings next spring to get a decent-sized crop. I really miss my ripe red hab-only chili relish. I've got jars of the green hab-only relish kicking around, but it just doesn't have the same "zing" as relish made from the ripe chilies.

turbo-1 said:
We dried lots of stuff for dog-snacks recently, though. Liver, sweet potatoes, bananas, carrots... my dog loves them all.

Your dog eats better than me. I am currently broke: I had two pieces of fried chicken from a takeaway tonight (thats right, not even an extra drink). If your dog has any leftovers, can you ask him/her if I can have them?

nobahar said:
Your dog eats better than me. I am currently broke: I had two pieces of fried chicken from a takeaway tonight (thats right, not even an extra drink). If your dog has any leftovers, can you ask him/her if I can have them?
He is good about sharing. :smile: For a former stray/shelter dog, he is quite generous with his food.

turbo-1 said:
He is good about sharing. :smile: For a former stray/shelter dog, he is quite generous with his food.

:rofl: Send over the leftovers! I'm starving!

The guy in that video (Naga Viper) is pretty amazing. I don't even eat my habs neat like that. Hungarians, jalapenos, cayennes - OK, but the habs are just too much.

The guys who run the greenhouse call them Red Carribeans. They are WAY hotter than store-bought habanero chilies.

I may try Johnny's "Paper Lantern" chilies this year, too. They are larger than habaneros and are quicker to mature and more reliable in northern climates than habaneros, according to my new seed catalog. Anything to get a good crop of ripe chilies before the weather puts an end to the growing season.

Astronuc said:
A chili (pepper) club.
http://cliftonchilliclub.moonfruit.com/

Apparently some members have tested the Naga Viper pepper.

Astro, Turbo,

I am amazed he ate it and is not breaking the "hotness" with milk, beer, ice water, etc... I know what about 1/4 of a chili tastes like and believe me, your brain screams, give me any other sensation but THIS ! The hotness ebbs and flows, and in about 10 minutes dissipates for good.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Astro, Turbo,

I am amazed he ate it and is not breaking the "hotness" with milk, beer, ice water, etc... I know what about 1/4 of a chili tastes like and believe me, your brain screams, give me any other sensation but THIS ! The hotness ebbs and flows, and in about 10 minutes dissipates for good.

Rhody...
Yep! Re guy has brass balls. I'll eat many of my chilies neat just for the rush, but not my habaneros. They are 'way over the top.

Astro, Turbo,

My neighbor was working on my deck today, and I happened to mention my frustration at not being able to readily grow ghost chili plants in less than six months. He said, well you should see what my brother has been doing using one of http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=Lawn+&+Garden&q=greenhouse", a 6 X 8 foot green house, 350$ from Harbor Freight, he uses portable propane heaters and keeps a constant 85+ temp in the structure year round and all for a cost of around 300$ in fuel cost per year, my neighbor claims he only goes through 2 or 3 one hundred pound propane bottles to heat during the winter.

Second, he sells geraniums at 1/2 the price of the store bought ones and grows enough to cover all his growing expenses, plus turn a small profit to boot. He just replaced all the plastic on the greenhouse this year after four years of use and only spent about 250$ in the process, the frame is still holding up to the rigors of the weather pretty well. You can see where I am going with this, can't you ? The hot pepper seeds are more valuable than the plants themselves and are easy to harvest, dry and then mail to wherever they need to go. Something to think about. My neighbor said he would let me take a tour of his brother's set up sometime in the near future, which I plan to do. Plus, it is a fun hobby and you meet interesting people in the process. I may post some pictures of his setup if he agrees to it as well.

Rhody...

rhody said:
Astro, Turbo,

My neighbor was working on my deck today, and I happened to mention my frustration at not being able to readily grow ghost chili plants in less than six months. He said, well you should see what my brother has been doing using one of http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=Lawn+&+Garden&q=greenhouse", a 6 X 8 foot green house, 350$ from Harbor Freight, he uses portable propane heaters and keeps a constant 85+ temp in the structure year round and all for a cost of around 300$ in fuel cost per year, my neighbor claims he only goes through 2 or 3 one hundred pound propane bottles to heat during the winter.

Second, he sells geraniums at 1/2 the price of the store bought ones and grows enough to cover all his growing expenses, plus turn a small profit to boot. He just replaced all the plastic on the greenhouse this year after four years of use and only spent about 250$ in the process, the frame is still holding up to the rigors of the weather pretty well. You can see where I am going with this, can't you ? The hot pepper seeds are more valuable than the plants themselves and are easy to harvest, dry and then mail to wherever they need to go. Something to think about. My neighbor said he would let me take a tour of his brother's set up sometime in the near future, which I plan to do. Plus, it is a fun hobby and you meet interesting people in the process. I may post some pictures of his setup if he agrees to it as well.

Rhody...
We need pix and specs!

I miss my greenhouse.

greenhouse3za.jpg

rhody said:
Astro, Turbo,

Rhody...
I can see where this is going. :biggrin: I've been thinking about this myself.

Is this it? http://www.harborfreight.com/6-ft-x-8-ft-greenhouse-47712.html

This is more like what I had in mind - http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-12-ft-greenhouse-with-4-vents-93358.html

Evo said:
I miss my greenhouse.

greenhouse3za.jpg
I guess you had to leave that behind. :frown: I like it!

I have seen one like this offered through a local store.

Astronuc said:
I can see where this is going. :biggrin: I've been thinking about this myself.

This is more like what I had in mind - http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-12-ft-greenhouse-with-4-vents-93358.html

Yes Astro,

The bigger one was what I had in mind as well, since I have a neighbor's brother who has had one for three or four years, I am sure he will have stories about how it withstood the rigors of rain, wind, etc. Notice these have vents at the top to keep from overheating in the summer. I swear people will go for the ghost peppers and perhaps ornamental too, those little peppers have plenty of zip as well. If and when I get to see it I will take pics and ask plenty of questions. This will keep from having to make mistakes or learn the "hard" way. He grows just about everything you can think of in it.

Rhody...

P.S. Evo, I am sorry to see you no longer have your greenhouse. If I get one, is there any special plant I can start and send to you in the mail while still small ? Will be more than happy to do so.

Astronuc said:
I guess you had to leave that behind. :frown: I like it!

I have seen one like this offered through a local store.

I love Evo's greenhouse :!).

Edit: former greenhouse :cry:

lisab said:
I love Evo's greenhouse :!).

Edit: former greenhouse :cry:
I'm guessing that was 30+ years ago - maybe about 35 years ago.

Astronuc said:

Yes, when she was just born :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Maybe 29 years ago?

Evo said:
Maybe 29 years ago?
Obviously I added wrong. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Maybe 29 years ago?

Evo, HeLiXe, Astro,

Wow, you go back that far, knowing each other, or should I say, knowing of each other ?

Rhody...

P.S. I was going to ask about CHAT, just checked and boom it was there, must be in the zone today, hehe.

rhody said:
Evo, HeLiXe, Astro,

Wow, you go back that far, knowing each other, or should I say, knowing of each other ?

Not me Rhody, I really do not know :)

I have a mini-greenhouse that our neighbor built for us out of salvaged aluminum and old trailer windows, etc. I should find a way to heat it so I can start seedlings earlier and not lose them to cold-snaps. Maine springs are notoriously unpredictable, and one cold night can wreck weeks' worth of work. Maybe a charcoal-fired heater, so that the plants can eat up the CO2 while staying warm? Have to think about that.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2260619&postcount=1782

turbo-1 said:
I have a mini-greenhouse that our neighbor built for us out of salvaged aluminum and old trailer windows, etc. I should find a way to heat it so I can start seedlings earlier and not lose them to cold-snaps. Maine springs are notoriously unpredictable, and one cold night can wreck weeks' worth of work. Maybe a charcoal-fired heater, so that the plants can eat up the CO2 while staying warm? Have to think about that.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2260619&postcount=1782

Very cool Turbo,

I have to see my neighbor's brother's setup. He, the neighbor, claims that his brother uses a propane heater, thermostatically controlled, keeps it a toasty 85% and all it costs is 2 100lb propane tanks a year to keep that way. I want to see his setup, to separate fact from fiction.

Rhody...

rhody said:
P.S. Evo, I am sorry to see you no longer have your greenhouse. If I get one, is there any special plant I can start and send to you in the mail while still small ? Will be more than happy to do so.
I'd love that, I have to think of what I want.