Pendulum on Pendulum, velocity in non inertial frame

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the Lagrangian, equations of motion, and linearized equations for a double pendulum system with equal mass particles and massless rods. The attempt at a solution involves analyzing an easier example and adding the second pendulum onto the first, but encountering difficulties in representing the velocity of the second particle on the end of the second rod.
sede

Homework Statement

A double pendulum consists of two particles of equal mass m suspended
by massless rods of equal length l. Assuming that all
motion is in a vertical plane:
1. Find the Lagrangian of this system.
2. then find the equations of motion and,
3. linearize these equations, assuming small motion.

a = angle between rod1 and vertical
b = angle between rod2 and vertical
l = length of each rod
m = mass of the point masses
g = acceleration due to gravity
v = velocity of the point mass

Homework Equations

Lagragian
L = T - V

Lagrange Equation
d/dt(∂L/∂n1) - ∂L/∂n1 = 0 for n=1 through number of variables

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by looking at an easier example, a single pendulum with a mass less rod and point mass on the end. I used the same approach to find the lagragian and eqn of motion for the first rod as follows:

T = kinetic energy = 1/2 m v^2
v can be expressed in terms of a.
v = angular velocity * radius
v = l * a' <- ' denoting derived wrt to t

so T = 1/2 m (l*a')^2

V (potential) is described as mg*height above the lowest possible height so:

mg * (l - cos a)

which gives the Lagrangian
L = 1/2 m l^2 a'^2 - mgl (1 - cos(a))

Using the Lagrangian equation:
d/dt(∂L/∂a') - ∂L/∂a = 0

d/dt(∂L/∂a') = l^2 m a''
and
∂L/∂a = mgl sin(a)

which solves to 0 = a'' - g/l sin(a)

assuming small motion, sin(a) is approx equal to a so

0 = a'' - g/l a

Which seems to be fine for a single pendulum. The tricky bit comes with adding the second onto the end of the first. The way I think of it either I can:

1) Treat the second as if it were the first and ignore that it takes place inside a non inertial frame

This gives me a second equation that looks like: 0 = b'' - g/l b

2) When calculating the Lagrangian add the T and V terms of the first rod to the second to try and take the non inertial frame into account:

This evaluates to the same as above: 0 = b'' - g/l b , as the extra terms are removed when passed through the Lagrangian equation.

Both of these evaluate to equations that do not include a so i don't think they are right.

3) When calculating the kinetic energy, instead of simply using v = a' l, somehow describe the velocity in terms of the entire frame. I feel this would be the correct way to do it but is where I get stuck as I don't know how to go about it.

so T = 1/2 m (velocity relative to inertial frame)
V = mg (2l - lcos(a) - lcos(b))

So in summary how can I represent the actual velocity of the second point mass on the end of the second rod? I think that once I have that I should be able to find the eqn of motion and linearize it. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I've found the places where I have gone wrong in this problem and what I needed to do. I'll post the solution for reference soon.

1. What is a pendulum on pendulum?

A pendulum on pendulum is a type of mechanical system consisting of two pendulums connected together. The first pendulum is attached to a fixed point and the second pendulum is attached to the first pendulum.

2. How does a pendulum on pendulum behave in a non-inertial frame?

In a non-inertial frame, the pendulum on pendulum will experience a fictitious force due to the acceleration of the frame. This force will affect the motion of the pendulum, causing it to deviate from its expected behavior in an inertial frame.

3. What is the velocity of a pendulum on pendulum in a non-inertial frame?

The velocity of a pendulum on pendulum in a non-inertial frame will depend on the acceleration of the frame and the parameters of the pendulum system. As the frame accelerates, the velocity of the pendulum will change accordingly.

4. How can we calculate the velocity of a pendulum on pendulum in a non-inertial frame?

To calculate the velocity of a pendulum on pendulum in a non-inertial frame, we need to use the equations of motion for an accelerated frame. These equations take into account the fictitious force and the acceleration of the frame to determine the velocity of the pendulum.

5. What are the applications of studying the velocity of a pendulum on pendulum in a non-inertial frame?

Understanding the behavior of pendulums in non-inertial frames has applications in various fields, such as aerospace engineering and navigation. It can also help us better understand the effects of gravity and acceleration on pendulum systems.