Prismatic bar with noncircular cross section under torsion.

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding resources for solving a homework problem in the course Elements of Mechanical Design. The book suggested, Mechanical Design of Machine Elements and Machines by Jack A. Collins, is deemed inadequate as it fails to provide equations for determining stresses in a cantilevered bar with square cross section under torsion. Suggestions for alternative resources include Machinery's Handbook and Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain. However, it is mentioned that non-circular sections in torsion are complex and may require numerical methods for accurate results. Other suggestions include using finite element analysis or optical methods.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm looking either for online resources or reference to a good book. I've been trying to help someone with a homework problem in a course entitled, Elements of Mechanical Design which uses Mechanical Design of Machine Elements and Machines by Jack A. Collins. The book sucks.

The system under analysis is a cantilevered bar with square cross section under torsion. The problem is to determine all stresses (shear and normal) at various points around the fixed end (all along the edges). The book explains that the maximum shear stresses will be at the midpoints of each edge, and that there will be zero shear stress at the corners. That's all fine and dandy, but when I go to calculate the other stresses I have no guidance. The book mentions how difficult it is to develop the equations, but it never presents them!

Any ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Should be in Machinery's --- you'll probably have to "reverse engineer" the expressions since there isn't a whole lot of theory presented.

Bystander said:
Should be in Machinery's ---

Is that a book? If so, who's the author?

you'll probably have to "reverse engineer" the expressions since there isn't a whole lot of theory presented.

No problem there, even a heuristic argument would help. The book I mentioned gives nada.

Properly, Machinery's Handbook (A Reference Book for the Mechanical Engineer, Draftsman, Toolmaker and Machinist), Erik Oberg, Franklin D Jones and Holbrook L. Horton, Paul B. Schumbert, Ed., Graham Garratt, William J. Semioli, Karl h. Moltrecht, Asst. Eds., various editions, Industrial Press Inc., or

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=ma...hoo!+Search&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&ei=UTF-8

If you can't find it in the library, run down to the shop --- I ain't never been near no shop without a shop copy plus the staffs' personal copies. Your topic will be hiding in the strength of materials section --- tables and tables of expressions for moduli of this, that, and the other of various x-sections and shapes under this, that, and the other load conditions.

Figured you were familiar with that little green 4 1/2 x 7 x 3 inch thick book --- it just goes by "Machinery's."

The book is correct in stating that the theory behind non-circular sections is quite difficult. I remember discussing them in mechanics of materials classes. As far as I know, numerical methods are needed for real results.

From Marks Standard Handbook for ME's:

"When a section is not circular, the unit stress no longer varries directly as the distance from the center. Cross sections become warped and the greatest unit stress usually occurs at a point on the perimeter of the cross section nearest the the axis of twist; thus there is no stress at the corners of square and rectangular sections. The analyses become complex for non-circular sections and the methods for solution of design problems using them most often admit only approximations.

That being said, I would HIGHLY recommend Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain. I do not have mine in front of me right now, but that is the bible for this type of work.

Machinery's Handbook is really not going to help you on this one I think. If you'd like I can attach a section pertaining to what we are talking, but they do not discuss non-circular sections in torsion. They talk about them in bending, but not in torsion.

Load factors are complicated. Slight changes in load direction can induce huge stresses. In structural loads, a 1x1x1/4 piece of angle iron is hugely stronger than a 3/4 inch round, even though the round has more cross sectional area. Loads transfer across surfaces, not volume.

The book is correct in stating that the theory behind non-circular sections is quite difficult. I remember discussing them in mechanics of materials classes. As far as I know, numerical methods are needed for real results.

Agree with this, usually it is easier to tackle these sorts of problems by introducing for example a finite element or two, and you can solve in closed form in a very much swiftier and easier way.

Hello, I did my PhD Thesis on prismatic bars subjected to torsion using Optical methods.

Here you can find the abstract of the thesis.

http://www.utcluj.ro/download/doctorat/Thesis_Abstract_BADEA.pdf

I hope is useful for you!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a prismatic bar with noncircular cross section under torsion?

A prismatic bar is a straight bar with a uniform cross section throughout its length. A noncircular cross section means that the cross section is not a perfect circle, but can have other shapes such as square, rectangular, or hexagonal. Torsion is a twisting force that is applied to the bar.

2. What are the factors that affect the torsional behavior of a prismatic bar with noncircular cross section?

The torsional behavior of a prismatic bar with noncircular cross section is affected by the material properties of the bar, the shape of the cross section, and the magnitude and direction of the applied torque. The geometry of the bar, such as its length and diameter, also play a role.

3. How is the torsional stress in a prismatic bar with noncircular cross section calculated?

The torsional stress in a prismatic bar with noncircular cross section can be calculated using the following equation: τ = Tc/J, where τ is the torsional stress, T is the applied torque, c is the distance from the center of the cross section to the outermost point, and J is the polar moment of inertia of the cross section.

4. What are the common applications of prismatic bars with noncircular cross sections under torsion?

Prismatic bars with noncircular cross sections under torsion are commonly used in engineering structures such as beams, shafts, and bridges. They can also be found in machines and equipment that require rotational motion, such as motors, gears, and turbines.

5. How is the torsional stiffness of a prismatic bar with noncircular cross section determined?

The torsional stiffness of a prismatic bar with noncircular cross section can be determined by dividing the applied torque by the angle of twist. This ratio is known as the torsional stiffness or torsional rigidity. It is a measure of how resistant the bar is to torsional deformation.