Understanding Complex Numbers: Find the Answer

In summary: You've been told that already, but you still keep making the same mistake.In summary, i^3 is not equal to -i, but rather it is equal to i. The mistake in thinking that i^3 is equal to -i stems from incorrectly using the square root property. It is important to understand this concept in order to fully grasp complex numbers and calculus.
kay
We know that i^3 is -i .
But I am getting confused, because I thought that i can be written as √(-1) and i^3 = √(-1) × √(-1) × √(-1) = √(-1 × -1 × -1) = √( (-1)^2 × -1) = √(1× -1) = √(-1) = i
( and not -i ).
Please help.:rolleyes:
Sorry I couldn't use superscript because I was using my phone.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=637214

Last edited by a moderator:
i definitely is not \sqrt{-1}. If you like (abuse of notation)
\sqrt{-1} = \pm i
Using (this not correct notation) \sqrt{-1}^3 = \pm i. Much better is of course
i^3 = (i*i)*i = -1*i = -i

micromass said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=637214
i am really not familiar with Euler's constant that much, and complex calculus, but thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
dieterk said:
i definitely is not \sqrt{-1}. If you like (abuse of notation)
\sqrt{-1} = \pm i
Using (this not correct notation) \sqrt{-1}^3 = \pm i. Much better is of course
i^3 = (i*i)*i = -1*i = -i

I didn't understand anything. :|

kay said:
i am really not familiar with Euler's constant that much, and complex calculus, but thanks. :)

The link given by micromass has everything you need to know and you don't need to know Euler's Formula to understand what he meant. I suggest read (not skim) the link provided by micromass.

Likes 1 person
When you got to this point: $$\sqrt{-1}\cdot\sqrt{-1}\cdot\sqrt{-1}=\sqrt{(-1)\cdot(-1)\cdot(-1)},$$ you made a mistake since [itex]\sqrt{a}\sqrt{b}=\sqrt{ab}[/itex] isn't true when [itex]a,b\lt0[/itex].

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that are composed of both a real part and an imaginary part. The imaginary part is denoted by the letter "i", which represents the square root of -1.

What is the purpose of understanding complex numbers?

Understanding complex numbers is important in many fields of mathematics and science, such as engineering, physics, and computer science. They are used to represent quantities that have both a magnitude and direction, and can be used to solve equations that involve square roots of negative numbers.

How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real and imaginary parts separately. For example, (3+2i) + (2-4i) = (5-2i) and (3+2i) - (2-4i) = (1+6i).

What is the difference between a complex number and an imaginary number?

An imaginary number is a number that can be written as a real number multiplied by the imaginary unit i, while a complex number is composed of both a real and imaginary part. Therefore, all imaginary numbers are complex numbers, but not all complex numbers are imaginary.

How are complex numbers represented on a graph?

Complex numbers can be represented on a graph called the complex plane, where the real part is plotted on the x-axis and the imaginary part is plotted on the y-axis. The point where the lines intersect represents the complex number in its entirety.