Overhead crane and pulleys problem

In summary: This means the force in the right rope will be less when lifting the weight, and more when lowering it, and the force in the left rope will be more when lifting the weight, and less when lowering it.
Marinel
The problem bellow is a real problem and I would like to get some ideas in order to overcome it.

As you can see in the attached doc, we have two winches ( drum 1 and 2 ) on the same shaft of motor M1, two moving pulleys ( 3 and 4 ) and a fixed pulley (5).
The load is 130 Tons, and we can measure that with a load cell at pulley 5 ( 32,5 Tons) after the lifting of the load.
But during the time as the load is rising we measure only 30 tons! Note that we have a cable of steel with 30mm diam. and the rising speed is about 1m/min.

When we lower the load, the load cell measures 36,2 Tons. and as soon it stops we get again 32m5 Tons.

When the load gets the floor than we read 0 Tons (of course!)

Can someone explain this? This is a real case and my problem is to adjust the safety relay to 110% of nominal load, which is impossible with this beahviour of the system!

Attachments

• crane.pdf
    7.9 KB · Views: 367
Physics news on Phys.org
Marinel said:
The load is 130 Tons, and we can measure that with a load cell at pulley 5 ( 32,5 Tons) after the lifting of the load.
Intuitively I would think that Ft = 2 x F1 here (not 4 x F1 as denoted in your PDF)

Marinel said:
But during the time as the load is rising we measure only 30 tons! Note that we have a cable of steel with 30mm diam. and the rising speed is about 1m/min.

When we lower the load, the load cell measures 36,2 Tons. and as soon it stops we get again 32m5 Tons.
Could it be that the deformation of the steel cable at pulley 3 & 4 changes the force balance between the two cable segments going from/to the pulley? It seems that the side to which the cable goes is taking more load.

Last edited:
You are right! The force at pulley is 2XF1 and not 4X.

In fact I have a display showing the real load and that's whya mmy mistake.

I thought that the problem is concerned with the deformation of the rope but I cannot explain how it works. The length of each rope ( distance from 3 to 5 ) is about 10 meters.

Could someone explain it??

Marinel said:
Could someone explain it??

Isn't it a general phenomenon of lossy pulley dynamics, that the outgoing rope has a higher force, because it includes the force needed to overcome friction? The bearings at the axis of pulley 3 & 4 have some friction. To overcome that friction you need some torque. So the outgoing rope must have a greater force than the incoming rope, to create that torque.

Last edited:
OK, I can understand what you say, but that is just a feeling. Can you or someone describe it mathematically?
The feeling I have already but that's all!I would like to have the evidence of the phenomenon.

May be we can simplify the problem using the arrangement below.
What will be the force in the rope when it goes up with no acceleration? And what happens if we stop the lifting?

Attachments

• crane1.pdf
    5.1 KB · Views: 583
Marinel said:
May be we can simplify the problem using the arrangement below.
What will be the force in the rope when it goes up with no acceleration? And what happens if we stop the lifting?
For your simplified arrangement:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=37850&d=1312849616

At constant speed the force in the right rope will be always the weight of the green mass (Ft). Due to friction in the upper pulley the force in the left rope will be more than Ft when lifting the weight, and less than Ft when lowering it. So the force at the pulley axis F1, which is the sum of the rope forces will vary accordingly.

Marinel said:
Can you or someone describe it mathematically?
At constant speed all the forces acting at each pulley must balance each other and all the torques acting at each pulley must balance each other. If you introduce a friction torque into the equation, the force vectors must still sum to zero, but to balance the friction torque they have to be redistributed.

1. What is an overhead crane and how does it work?

An overhead crane is a type of industrial lifting equipment that is used to move heavy loads horizontally and vertically within a specific area. It consists of a bridge that runs along two parallel runways, a hoist or trolley that moves along the bridge, and a hook or other lifting attachment that is used to lift and lower the load. The crane is operated by a person using a control pendant or a remote control, and the movement is powered by electric motors.

2. What is the purpose of using pulleys in an overhead crane?

Pulleys are used in an overhead crane to increase the mechanical advantage and make it easier to lift heavy loads. By using multiple pulleys, the amount of force required to lift the load is reduced, making it possible for a single person to operate the crane and move very heavy objects.

3. How do you calculate the weight that an overhead crane can lift?

The weight that an overhead crane can lift depends on the capacity of the crane, which is typically expressed in tons. To calculate the weight, you need to know the weight of the load and the weight of the lifting equipment, including the hoist, trolley, and hook. The combined weight must be less than the capacity of the crane to ensure safe operation.

4. What are the safety precautions that should be taken when operating an overhead crane?

There are several safety precautions that should be taken when operating an overhead crane, including proper training for the operator, regular maintenance and inspections of the crane, and following all safety procedures and protocols. It is also important to ensure that the crane is not overloaded and that the load is properly secured before lifting.

5. Can an overhead crane be used in outdoor environments?

Yes, overhead cranes can be used in outdoor environments as long as they are designed and built for outdoor use. Outdoor cranes are typically made with more durable materials to withstand exposure to the elements, and they may also have additional safety features such as wind speed detectors to prevent accidents in windy conditions.