Rocket Burning fuel causing change in mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario of a rocket at rest in space with a initial weight of 100 kg and 50 kg of fuel. The fuel burns at a constant rate of 1 kg/s and produces a thrust of 100 N. The question is what will the rocket's velocity be after it runs out of fuel and how to calculate the changing mass of the rocket as the fuel burns. It is determined that the "Rocket Equation" must be used, which involves integrating a differential equation and taking into account the changing mass of the rocket as the fuel burns.
kaikalii
I made up a scenario: Let's say I have a rocket at rest in space. The rocket initially weighs 100 kg, 50 kg of which is fuel. If the fuel burns at a constant rate of 1 kg/s and produces a thrust of 100 N out the back of the rocket, what will the rocket's velocity be after it runs out of fuel?

From F=ma and V=v0+at, I derived V=Ft/m. The force is 100 N, and it would take 50 s to burn 50 kg of fuel at 1 kg/s, so it would be V=100*50/m.

My question is: What would I use for the mass, since it is changing at the fuel burns? When I assumed that it was just the average mass, 75 kg, I got the final velocity ≈ 66.7 m/s. Am I supposed to just use the average mass since the fuel is burned at a constant rate? Does rocket fuel in the real world burn at a constant rate, or exponentially? If it was exponential, could I just use calculus to find the average mass and then plug it in?

Physics news on Phys.org
kaikalii said:
I made up a scenario: Let's say I have a rocket at rest in space. The rocket initially weighs 100 kg, 50 kg of which is fuel. If the fuel burns at a constant rate of 1 kg/s and produces a thrust of 100 N out the back of the rocket, what will the rocket's velocity be after it runs out of fuel?

From F=ma and V=v0+at, I derived V=Ft/m. The force is 100 N, and it would take 50 s to burn 50 kg of fuel at 1 kg/s, so it would be V=100*50/m.

My question is: What would I use for the mass, since it is changing at the fuel burns? When I assumed that it was just the average mass, 75 kg, I got the final velocity ≈ 66.7 m/s. Am I supposed to just use the average mass since the fuel is burned at a constant rate? Does rocket fuel in the real world burn at a constant rate, or exponentially? If it was exponential, could I just use calculus to find the average mass and then plug it in?

What you are asking about is known as the "Rocket Equation". Here is a tutorial from NASA:

http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/education/rocket/rktpow.html

:smile:

kaikalii said:
My question is: What would I use for the mass

You need to use ## 50 + 50 ( 1 - \frac{t}{50} ) ##. Because the acceleration is not constant, you cannot use V=v0+at or work with an average mass though: you need to integrate a differential equation.

What is rocket burning fuel?

Rocket burning fuel refers to the process of burning fuel inside a rocket's engine in order to produce thrust and propel the rocket through the air or space.

How does rocket burning fuel cause a change in mass?

Rocket burning fuel causes a change in mass by converting the chemical energy stored in the fuel into kinetic energy, which is used to propel the rocket. This conversion results in a decrease in the rocket's mass as the fuel is burned and expelled out of the rocket's engine.

What types of fuel are used in rockets?

Various types of fuels can be used in rockets, including liquid hydrogen, kerosene, and solid propellants such as ammonium perchlorate. The type of fuel used depends on the specific requirements and goals of the rocket mission.

How does the amount of fuel affect the rocket's performance?

The amount of fuel carried by a rocket directly affects its performance. More fuel means more chemical energy to convert into kinetic energy, resulting in a greater thrust and higher velocity. However, carrying too much fuel can also increase the rocket's mass and decrease its efficiency.

What are some challenges associated with rocket burning fuel?

Some challenges related to rocket burning fuel include ensuring a steady and controlled burn, managing the exhaust gases and heat produced, and finding efficient and environmentally-friendly fuel options. Additionally, the cost of fuel is a significant factor in rocket launches and missions.