Melting Zirconium Samples in a High-Energy Spark Oven at University

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    oven
In summary, the conversation was about melting a zirconium sample using a homemade oven that produces sparks. The process involves directing a continuous spark towards the sample, resulting in its melting in less than 5 seconds. The light emitted from the sample is so bright that one needs to wear darkened glasses. It was described as a beautiful experience and the name of the oven was eventually found to be an electric arc furnace, specifically a lab-sized one.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Today at my university I melted a zirconium sample that was into a "home made" oven that makes "sparks".
I don't remember the name of the type of oven.
The mechanism is to put a sample into the oven. Hmm I don't know how to explain the rest in English...
Basically you create a continuous (in time) spark and direct it toward the sample. It will melt. It took less than 5 seconds to melt a small sample (a few grams) of zirconium. Of course the light that the sample emits is so bright that you need to wear darkened glasses in order to look at what you're doing.
That was really beautiful!
If you know the name of such a oven, please let me know. Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
trollcast said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_arc_furnace

Thats what a quick google brings up but I can't seem to find any lab sized ones.

Edit: My google-fu was weak: http://www.mrf-furnaces.com/arcmelt.htm

Was it something like that?

Thank you very much. Yeah it was like the ones in your second link.
Amazing!

1. What is a convection oven?

A convection oven is a type of oven that circulates hot air throughout the cooking chamber using a fan. This results in faster and more even cooking compared to traditional ovens.

2. How does a convection oven work?

Convection ovens work by using a fan to circulate hot air, which allows for more efficient heat transfer to the food being cooked. This results in faster cooking times and more even browning of food.

3. What is the difference between a convection oven and a conventional oven?

The main difference between a convection oven and a conventional oven is the way heat is distributed. Convection ovens use a fan to circulate hot air, while conventional ovens rely on natural convection to heat food. This makes convection ovens more efficient and results in more even cooking.

4. What type of food is best cooked in a convection oven?

Convection ovens are great for cooking a variety of foods, but they work especially well for baked goods, roasted meats, and vegetables. The even heat distribution and faster cooking times make them ideal for these types of dishes.

5. Do I need to make any adjustments to recipes when using a convection oven?

Yes, when using a convection oven, it is recommended to reduce the cooking temperature by about 25 degrees Fahrenheit and to decrease the cooking time by about 25%. This is because the fan in a convection oven helps to cook food faster and at a lower temperature.