Register to reply

Magnetic coupling - Halbach Array

by Mo
Tags: array, coupling, halbach, magnetic
Share this thread:
Mo
Nov12-13, 07:11 PM
P: 82
Hi I would like to incorporate a Halbach Array as a means of magnetic coupling.

From the wikipedia entry I understand that I can accomplish this if I nest 1 array within another, with opposite magnetization.

The lowest energy state would be where the magnetic flux matches and thus if I were to rotate one array relative to the other, there would be a restoring torque produced. So if i continually rotate that array, then the 'other' array should rotate to maintain that lowest energy state.

Assuming my understanding up until now is correct, the question(s) now are..

- how can I ensure that there will be enough force or torque in order for the 'other' array to keep following the rotating array (which will be connected to a motor shaft), how can I ensure that at high speeds the coupling will work and the coupled array will 'keep up'?
-how can I even put some numbers onto this? eg: calculating the right magnetic field strength to produce a certain torque between the arrays?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Amazon worker piloted drone around Space Needle
Five next-generation technologies for positioning, navigation and timing
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off

Register to reply