Water vapour overlooked as greenhouse gas ?

In summary: They do, but if I'm not mistaken, the question is by how much? Do they have a noticeable affect, or almost none?The water vapor doesn't have a noticeable affect on the greenhouse effect.
Robin
Hello all
It seems that water vapour doesn't figure in greenhouse gas calcs & global warming. This site claims..
"Water vapor overwhelms
all other natural and man-made greenhouse contributions."
http://www.clearlight.com/~mhieb/WVFossils/greenhouse_data.html

Are they right ?
cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Hi Robin and most welcome here,

No water vapor is not overlooked. Actually it’s a very *hot* issue. The guys of that site are probably exagarating a little. Here are other data:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenhouse_effect#Water_vapor_effects

The global warmers know those properties of water vapor very well. The assumption is positive feedback. If there is more CO2, it gets warmer due to GHG effect, so more water evaporates, so more greenhouse effect and more warming and hence... Positve feedback is thought to be seen in the ice cores and during volcanic eruptions. But the story is probably a lot more complicated.

The problem with this positve feedback is saturation and the latent heat. Saturation means that even when a lot more greenhouse gas is added, the effect will not increase that much, because most of the effect is already there. next, the latent heat is taken up during evaporation. So more water vapor also means more (latent) heat removed, this tempers the feedback. Then, when the water vapor condenses again, the heat is released but mainly to non radiating normal gasses in the atmosphere, N2 and O2, unable to radiate the heat and hence not contributing to the greenhouse effect. Secondly, the clouds that are formed increase the albedo, are decreasing the warming on Earth. So all in all the water vapor apparently has a nett negative feedback, reducing the already negliglible effect of greenhouse forcing due to CO2.

It's the lack of clouds (and consequently change in reflecivity – albedo) that causes global warming as you can see here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=108165

I think water vapor's GHG power is totally overlooked by most of the public that believe what they hear on the news.

I believe the whole idea that we'd ever have to worry about greenhouse gases is bunk. We don't have a dense enough atmosphere for the gases to affect the temperature. I think it's silly that we're still pursuing the idea that these gases can trap light energy instead of reflecting it, because our sun gives off way more energy in other forms as well.

We don't have a dense enough atmosphere for the gases to affect the temperature.
They do, but if I'm not mistaken, the question is by how much? Do they have a noticeable affect, or almost none?

I think it's silly that we're still pursuing the idea that these gases can trap light energy instead of reflecting it, because our sun gives off way more energy in other forms as well.
Like what? CMEs?

No, I meant it gives off a lot of other energy in it's day to day radiance, most notably electricity. :tongue2:

1. What is water vapour and how does it contribute to the greenhouse effect?

Water vapour is the gaseous form of water that exists in the Earth's atmosphere. It is considered a greenhouse gas because it absorbs and emits infrared radiation, trapping heat in the atmosphere and contributing to the Earth's overall temperature.

2. How does the amount of water vapour in the atmosphere compare to other greenhouse gases?

Water vapour is the most abundant greenhouse gas in the Earth's atmosphere, accounting for about 60% of the total greenhouse effect. This is significantly higher than the levels of other greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide and methane.

3. Why is water vapour often overlooked as a greenhouse gas?

Water vapour is often overlooked as a greenhouse gas because it is a natural component of the Earth's atmosphere and its levels vary greatly from place to place and day to day. It is also constantly cycled through the Earth's systems, making it difficult to accurately measure and track its impact on the greenhouse effect.

4. What are the potential consequences of increasing water vapour in the atmosphere?

While water vapour is a natural part of the Earth's atmosphere, an increase in its levels can have significant consequences. As temperatures rise due to the greenhouse effect, more water evaporates into the atmosphere, leading to a positive feedback loop known as the "water vapor feedback." This can result in more extreme weather events, such as hurricanes and floods, as well as changes in precipitation patterns.

5. How can we reduce the impact of water vapour on the greenhouse effect?

While water vapour levels cannot be directly controlled, reducing the emissions of other greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide, can help mitigate its impact on the greenhouse effect. Additionally, promoting sustainable practices and reducing our carbon footprint can help slow the rate of climate change and limit the effects of the water vapor feedback.