How Does Wind Affect the Velocity of an Aircraft?

In summary: Hence the new velocity of the aircraft to the ground is 316 mi/h at an angle of 18.5° north of east.In summary, the new velocity of the aircraft to the ground is 316 mi/h at an angle of 18.5° north of east.
oaky6
A jet airliner moving initially at 300 mi/h due east enters a region where the wind is blowing at 100 mi/h in a direction 27 degress north of east. What is the new velocity of the aircraft to the ground?

This is how i did it: Vag=Vaw + Vwg

Vag=?
Vaw(aircraft relative to wind)= 300
Vwg(wind relative to ground) = 100

drawing out the vectors i have Vag as my hypotonuse, Vaw as my base and Vwg as my (oppositte angle of 27 degrees)...solving for Vag I get 316
but that's not the right answer. I also need to find at what degrees the aircraft is going (north of east) but i dk how to do that?

any suggestions?
i was wondering if someone could draw the vectors out for me if possible

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider north up (+j) and east to the right (+i),

So the aircraft is traveling 300 mi/h i, when it encounters a wind which has a velocity of 100 mi/h in the direction which is 27° N from east.

Now the angle of 27° is between the axis pointing east (+i) and the wind vector.

To obtain the new aircraft vector with respect to ground, one adds the aircraft vector and the wind speed vector (with respect to ground), which then gives a resultant, which is the new aircraft speed with respect to ground.

So 300 i + Wi is the new Vi, and the Northward component is Vj = Wj since the northward wind component carries the plane northward.

W = Wi i + Wj j

Then use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of resultant vector, and the angle is the arctangent of the Vj/Vi.

I would approach this problem by breaking down the velocities into their components. The initial velocity of the aircraft is 300 mi/h due east, which can be represented as 300 mi/h in the x-direction and 0 mi/h in the y-direction. The wind velocity can also be broken down into its components, with a magnitude of 100 mi/h at an angle of 27 degrees north of east. This can be represented as 100*cos(27) mi/h in the x-direction and 100*sin(27) mi/h in the y-direction.

To find the new velocity of the aircraft to the ground, we can add the x-components and y-components separately. The x-component will be 300 mi/h + 100*cos(27) mi/h = 356.7 mi/h. The y-component will be 0 mi/h + 100*sin(27) mi/h = 45.6 mi/h. This gives us a new velocity of 356.7 mi/h at an angle of tan^-1(45.6/356.7) = 7.4 degrees north of east.

In summary, the new velocity of the aircraft to the ground is 356.7 mi/h at an angle of 7.4 degrees north of east. This calculation takes into account the relative velocities of the aircraft and the wind, and can be visualized by drawing the vectors as you described.

What is relative velocity of a plane?

Relative velocity of a plane refers to the speed and direction of the plane in comparison to another object or point of reference. It takes into account both the velocity of the plane and the velocity of the point of reference.

How is relative velocity of a plane calculated?

To calculate the relative velocity of a plane, you must subtract the velocity of the point of reference from the velocity of the plane. This will give you the relative velocity, which includes both speed and direction.

What is the significance of relative velocity in aviation?

Relative velocity is crucial in aviation as it allows pilots to determine their position and orientation in relation to other objects, such as other planes, the ground, or air traffic control. It also helps pilots make necessary adjustments to their flight path.

How does air resistance affect the relative velocity of a plane?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can impact the relative velocity of a plane by slowing it down. This is because the force of air resistance acts against the motion of the plane, reducing its speed and altering its direction.

Can relative velocity of a plane be greater than its actual velocity?

Yes, the relative velocity of a plane can be greater than its actual velocity. This can occur when the plane is moving in a direction that is opposite to the direction of the wind or current, resulting in a higher relative velocity due to the combined velocities.